Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t tell if you’re serious. Induction phone mounts can plug into USB, the lighter adapter, or be hardwired into any 12v source. There are even battery versions, but obviously you get some cable clutter.
Yes, I'm serious...why would I mention the charging issue otherwise. Do you have a link to an induction mount that is specifically designed for an S/X dash like the ones I'm using? I had a hard enough time finding these two that clip onto the dash, they're not even the same brand but they work great.

Nevertheless, I don't see why charging via the HDMI cable isn't something standard to avoid cable clutter.

I didn’t see a /s so I’m going to answer:

Induction phone mounts can plug into USB, the lighter adapter, or be hardwired into any 12v source. There are even battery versions. but obviously you get some cable clutter.
You edited your post...what's "/S" mean and did you happen to have suggestions for an induction mount that clips onto the factory vents like my current one and/or doesn't look outta place?

/s is old school internet slang for sarcasm. People used it when they said something sarcastic but it might not be obvious to the entire audience.

“doesn’t look outta place” is kind of subjective, because I think a phone looks a little out of place there, cables look more out of of place, and any mechanical stuff to hold a phone looks even more out of place.

A suction cup phone case sticks pretty well to the carbon fiber dash you have. I would prefer a holder with an array of small suction cups to something that vent attaches.

What models of phones do you need to accomodate?

This is the first result I see if I internet search for “induction phone dash vent holder” and to quote the listing “It also has a cool blue light that makes it look even fancier.” /s.

Also, back to the original question, if we have any electrical engineers following along, it would be great to know if a some USB-C hubs both pass “HDMI over USB-C” out and back power a USB-C device. Seems likely enough that you could find one that was 12v powered. Because then you could power and hide that hub under the armrest console and keep your current setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: m5james
Inspired by this thread I've now got a Model Y MCU and center console touch panel on my desk. After a bit of poking and sniffing I seem to be able to read the touch panel data off the I2C bus on the MCU. Scribbled Tesla on it, parsed it out from the I2C bus and graphed it in a google sheet. Not sure what 90% of the data bytes means but I got at least one finger position decoded - just haven't touched up the code to parse out more than one yet. I'd wager some of the data I don't understand is things like finger pressure or maybe the size of the point, idk. Hopefully when I get some of this better written up and some better ways to poke at and visualize the data some other patterns will be apparent in the data stream. The video streams really look hackable too, but need to poke a bit more, draw up some circuits and get boards made to really dive into that. That'll probably take a few weeks but I was really worried the touch data would be indecipherable and that turned out not to be half bad.

View attachment 1034962

This is outstanding and also a bit of a drive-by tease, given this is your one and only post on TMC.

Reading touch panel data leads to the possibility of an interactive display inside the hdmi camera window. In my mind this leads straight to the possibility of a box which delivers touch-screen Carplay & Android Auto to the Tesla main screen in the camera window over hdmi. So you would have your carplay in a window which can be brought up at will, without taking over the entire screen. The result would be similar to Tesla Android which outputs to the browser, but with better performance, and also compatibility with all cars including in countries where browser access is blocked while driving (like Australia).

One challenge I can think of is that the reverse camera window moves, so the device would have to track the window's position in order to accurately map screen taps. Camera window positions and touch screen data generally would vary between vehicle models (legacy portrait screens vs model 3/Y vs new Model S/X all have different dimensions).

Such a box would have to be wired to power, to the I2C bus, and tap into the reverse camera HDMI the same way bear's device does.

Applications:
  • Touchscreen Carplay & Android Auto
  • Mini-PC output to run any application and any OS.
  • Screen mirroring/Youtube/etc
  • For hackers: Add CAN bus connection and enable Scanmytesla-type functions or console access.
This would work with any Tesla S3XY vehicle, 2012-2024, so a properly-functioning product would be very popular. It's a good business opportunity.

Reactions: m5james