Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head rests - so narrow and far forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, this is so cool. Knowing this, you can reposition the headrest to your liking, and we know how variable that can be. I just ordered a $20 remedial neck-gap-filling leather covered pillowette, we'll see how it works. Of course my Model 3 will no longer be vegan, can't have everything.
Any feedback , after having this headrest for over a month, if you recommend the product for fellow TM3 owners?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I thought the purpose of the head restraint was to prevent whiplash in case of an accident, not to actually rest your head on while driving. Is this incorrect?
Agree about protecting whiplash, but for many people it is both purposes. It shouldn't dig into the back of the neck and shoulders of tall people because it sticks out at the base. Even if I don't rest my head against it, I can still feel the base of it digging into my shoulders by just sitting back straight.

I have never been in another car with that problem. None of my previous 9 cars had that issue. Just seems like a simple design oversight because they wanted it to look cool I guess. Some people do rest their heads against the headrest. I bought an attachment neck pillow similar (but not same) to what Fernand shows above and that helps greatly to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Agree about protecting whiplash, but for many people it is both purposes. It shouldn't dig into the back of the neck and shoulders of tall people because it sticks out at the base. Even if I don't rest my head against it, I can still feel the base of it digging into my shoulders by just sitting back straight.

I have never been in another car with that problem. None of my previous 9 cars had that issue. Just seems like a simple design oversight because they wanted it to look cool I guess. Some people do rest their heads against the headrest. I bought an attachment neck pillow similar (but not same) to what Fernand shows above and that helps greatly to resolve the issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Agree. I am 5.7" tall and have similar discomfort with upper back and neck pain due to this head rest. As suggested above, I think I may have fixed it for myself by removing & reversing the head rest. I have driven two hundred miles since and hopefully the comfort stays beyond. I use a cushion b'se I feel the seat foam has gotten compressed over the past 19,000 miles I've had on it. I am really upset with this seat design so far.

The headrests stick out way too much making for not very comfortable sitting.
I've never had a problem with headrests before, will be trying to bend these back with a vise like I've seen in some YouTube video.
Pretty sure the machine that's making these bends needs to be serviced / calibrated. It sounds like some people have no complaints so maybe they got good ones before they tweaked the machine making the metal structure in these headrests.
My other gripes with the seat is it gets very hot without any perferations in the material and the front of my seat doesn't tilt upwards nearly enough.

The headrests are one of the strangest design decisions in my opinion. They jut forward into your head and are extremely narrow. I think they would be especially annoying for a front seat passenger who wanted to recline and take a nap to balance their head on that 6 inch wide section. I read a post by one potential buyer (not sure if it was on this forum or on facebook) who said the headrests were an absolute deal breaker for him, and he literally decided not to buy the car because he found them so uncomfortable. I don't think they're that bad, but it definitely seems like they are another example of tesla choosing form over function.

Any feedback , after having this headrest for over a month, if you recommend the product for fellow TM3 owners?

Well, it's been close to 2 years. It's great. Got another for the passenger seat as well. The Model 3 seats are apparently still evolving as of late 2020, and you can't go wrong with a wider range of positions. It's a very useful accessory. Blends in perfectly -- with a black interior anyway.

Last edited:
They made me cancel my reservation. I'm very sensitive to ergonomics and I like to sit up straight. Same with my girlfriend and my parents. If they eventually release a Model 3 with a *straighter* headrest, I'll get one.

This headrest makes it impossible to sit up straight with your back against the seat without bending your neck far forward. It would require massive alterations to the seat to be ergonomic; as it is it's bad for your back and neck, and my physical therapist wouldn't approve.

That might have been me.

I bought my Model S without ever test driving it, but I did go to a showroom and sit in the seat to make sure it was OK. Did the same with Model 3, but the seat was no good. :shrug:

you know you can just bend the headrest if you really need/want to. it easily comes out and the two metal tubes can just be bent.

While I don't find this to be an issue at all in the Model 3, I found the 2007 Civic EX to be insufferable in this regard. Hated those headrests! The Model 3 is great and my head doesn't touch at all whilst driving.

Also, as a shorter driver I *despise* 'ergonomic' seats that have the 'lumbar support' in entirely the wrong place. This was a trend for a while but I find the Tesla seats extremely comfortable. I do wish the seat belts had more adjustments so as not to slice the neck of shorter drivers, but that can be solved with some aftermarket seatbelt guides that change the angle of the incoming belt across your body.

If I did have an issue with the headrests, I'd bend them a bit as others have mentioned.

I love those posts about where your head is SUPPOSED to be. Bit o' #metoo.

its not, because the purpose of the head rest/restraint is to prevent whiplash and if you use it to rest your head it will cause other issues down your spine as the seat isnt designed for this. The front poking nature is normal as it supports the function better (even on cars with adjustable headrest they tilt slightly forward these days). It was changed sometime in the late 2000s to this. I presume it allows the head to spill more energy as it slides "down" the headrest.

• Disagree
its not, because the purpose of the head rest/restraint is to prevent whiplash and if you use it to rest your head it will cause other issues down your spine as the seat isnt designed for this. The front poking nature is normal as it supports the function better (even on cars with adjustable headrest they tilt slightly forward these days). It was changed sometime in the late 2000s to this. I presume it allows the head to spill more energy as it slides "down" the headrest.

I concur. Driving is different than sitting because you have to look around quite a bit for hazards when changing lanes and such....and with shoulder checks one needs a bit more clearance.