Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight connector unplugging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, wondering if someone can tell me if there is a trick to unplugging the headlights on a 2016 Model S. I've tried grabbing the connector attached to the wiring harness and jiggling as I pull it, but doesn't seem to want to move. Is there some sort of clip that I'm missing? I don't want to force it too much more and break something.

Took me a bit to create my forum account. In the meantime, solved my own question by prying the connector with a flathead screwdriver and breaking the clip. Turns out if you push the tiny, very back edge of the clip, it rocks the plastic piece upwards inside the connector allowing it to disconnect. After breaking the first one, I was able to get the second one off without breaking it. Now hoping my headlight doesn't go out while I'm driving. Hopefully, this information helps someone else out.

IMG_9858.JPG
IMG_9863.JPG

First image shows the clip that you have to push down on. Push the skinny bar at the back of the connector. The second photo shows the low clasp that grabs onto the headlight assembly and is rocked upward when the clip is pushed down.

Reactions: Gumball
Almost every connector in the car has a plastic lock of some sort to ensure they don't disconnect under vibration. Although your locking clip broke, the connectors still have good clamping, so I doubt you'll have a problem.