Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight glass broke - repair? Or replace entire headlight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In may I wrecked my 2018 model 3, but was luck enough to replace it and took deliver of a new Model 3 at the end of September. Sadly, over the weekend my wife was driving and a deer jumped onto the road in front of her while she was going ~60 mph. Hard braking almost avoided contact, but the deer's head struck the passenger-side headlight and shattered the glass.

We're quite lucky that the car is otherwise undamaged and the headlight even works just fine. Is it possible to repair this? Or will I need an entirely new (and I assume expensive) headlight?

Attachments

• Tesla Headlight.jpg
    Tesla Headlight.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 301
Last October someone backed into m 2020 M3. It has the older headlights and both headlight assemblies had to be replaced. These
older style lights cost $987 each. I assume you have the newer style of lights, which may or may not cost more but they won't be cheap. I would look around - ask the body shop too - and see if you can find one from a wrecked car rather than get a new one

• Informative
Reactions: Aellinsar
I'm a new model 3 owner and just went in to the service center for a cracked headlight lens and the price just keeps going up. I was quoted $1500 for the light and $100 for the install. $1600 for a headlight is so far past crazy that I just don't know what to say. And the light works perfect. Looks like I'm going to be replacing the lens the good ole fashion way for $100, a heat gun, and a Saturday. My first major disappointment with this model 3. Otherwise, I have loved it.

I'm a new model 3 owner and just went in to the service center for a cracked headlight lens and the price just keeps going up. I was quoted $1500 for the light and $100 for the install. $1600 for a headlight is so far past crazy that I just don't know what to say. And the light works perfect. Looks like I'm going to be replacing the lens the good ole fashion way for $100, a heat gun, and a Saturday. My first major disappointment with this model 3. Otherwise, I have loved it.

Well..that plastic is just going to warp when you heat it up.

Lastly, I don't know why you would be disappointed with the car. It didn't do anything.