Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights - Contantly getting flashed by other cars thinking I'm using high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made headlight height adjustments on several of my cars. First step is to measure the height from the ground of the headlight bulb/beam. This can be approximate.

The actual adjustment should be done at night with the car on a level surface parked about 20 or 30 feet from a plain vertical wall. Park the car perpendicular to the wall and turn on the headlight low beam. The light image on the wall for each headlamp should have well-defined horizontal lines that angles up on the right. Measure the height from the ground of the each horizontal lines. They should match the height of the headlight bulb/beam on the car. Make any necessary adjustments until they're the same. It's simple to do.

Last edited:
I had to have my headlights adjusted by a ranger too - they were set almost undriveably low. Not user adjustable. The fact that three of us have needed this tells me the factory doesn't (yet) have a proper process for setting them/checking them.

Only time people flash high beams at us is when they're behind us trying to get a better look at the car...:biggrin:

That's so funny wshepherd. Last night, I was stopped at a traffic light and the car behind me kept flashing their brights and inching closer to the back of the car. I flipped on the backup camera and could see the guys lips saying Tesla. I turned when the light turned green and he came up beside me with a big thumbs up.

I made a call to the service center to find out the proper solution. Sounds like it will be a ranger visit from other posts.

With at least a handful of ranger calls for this issue, I would anticipate that Tesla would add to, or update, their final quality control inspection for the headlights prior to delivery of future cars. Certainly these ranger calls will not be cost efficient over time should a 1% adjustment rate indeed be the demand, and those are the owners noticing the problem.

OT: does the ranger drive a Model S?

Very easy to adjust the headlights. First you must take off the plastic/rubber shield on both sides. After you have it removed beside the headlight you will see a phillips screwdriver spot. Turn slow to adjust beam up or down.

My headlights are aimed high as well, so I opened the frunk and found rubber mushroom-shaped stoppers, 1 on each side that hold lateral panels in place . I gave them a pretty good pull but can't get them off and afraid I might tear or break something if I pull harder. Just want to make sure I'm pulling on the right ones before I pull harder. Anyone who's done this already confirm that I've got the right ones? They're rubber, tops are about size of a half-dollar. (I saw some other plastic ones that are inside the frunk well, don't think they're the ones.)

Never mind, I figured it out. They are screws that turn (by hand). After that, you just pry off the protective covers and then look for a philips screw surrounded by a small beige-colored plastic flange. Took a little trial and error (with some driving in between) to get the level just right, but now they're good.