Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights effect on range???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be driving up in early July, so it could get hot. I'll be wearing shorts and using as little A/C as I can without getting too uncomfortable.

I'd start by turning on only the fan, without the A/C to bring in fresh air from outside without disturbing the aerodynamics of the car. This will help reduce some of the heat load that you'll get from the sun coming in through the windshield and other windows.

If that isn't enough, and you're feeling "too uncomfortable", then then next thing I'd do is crack the windows open between a half inch to an inch. This will allow some cross-breeze and will create an escape for any warm air in the car.

Finally, if you're still too hot, then it's time to close the windows and turn the A/C on. At that point, I'd just set it to AUTO and choose the warmest set-temp that I was willing to accept.

A cold beverage to sip on may help you tolerate the heat a bit better as well. Perhaps keep a cooler with a few bottles of ice water in the seat next to you?

I'd heard that A/C decreases the gas mileage on stinkers, so I figured it would have an effect on this car as well.
True on most ICE cars. I think though the way Tesla does their A/C compressor is with a variable motor. What I have concluded is when my fan is turned up the compressor motor runs faster than when the fan is turned down. So on a hot day if bearable, set temp to low, keep fan speed on 1 and compressor does not require as much energy (IMHO).

I'd start by turning on only the fan, without the A/C to bring in fresh air from outside without disturbing the aerodynamics of the car. This will help reduce some of the heat load that you'll get from the sun coming in through the windshield and other windows.

If that isn't enough, and you're feeling "too uncomfortable", then then next thing I'd do is crack the windows open between a half inch to an inch. This will allow some cross-breeze and will create an escape for any warm air in the car.

Finally, if you're still too hot, then it's time to close the windows and turn the A/C on. At that point, I'd just set it to AUTO and choose the warmest set-temp that I was willing to accept.

A cold beverage to sip on may help you tolerate the heat a bit better as well. Perhaps keep a cooler with a few bottles of ice water in the seat next to you?

I'm under the impression that opening the windows, even a little, disturbs the aerodynamics and costs more than running the A/C. Cold water is probably a good idea.

True on most ICE cars. I think though the way Tesla does their A/C compressor is with a variable motor. What I have concluded is when my fan is turned up the compressor motor runs faster than when the fan is turned down. So on a hot day if bearable, set temp to low, keep fan speed on 1 and compressor does not require as much energy (IMHO).

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan. If I'm lucky it won't be too hot and the fan alone will be enough. I'll be starting out early in the morning so I'll hope to avoid the worst heat of the day for the long segment. From Kelowna to Revelstoke is a shorter segment so I'll have plenty of juice for that. On the way back I wont be able to make it all the way home in one day (it will be mid-day or early afternoon before I get back to the car after the last hiking lodge) so if I spend the night in Kelowna I can again make the long segment in the morning before the hottest time of the day.

If there was a supercharger in Castlegar I'd be sitting pretty.

Thanks for all the comments and numbers about headlights. Nobody mentioned A/C. Is that not a concern either?
You're in the Canadian Rockies. Even in summer that A/C won't amount to much. Just leave it on very modest setting like 22C and it'll barely touch your battery outside the sunniest days in the Okanagan.

What I do personally on the Bolt is just use fan until about roughly 30C. The energy usage of a mechanical fan is negligible compared to the A/C compressor.

What'll be more a concern for your trip is evening/nighttime temps, especially going through any passes. First concern for the Tesla will be the cabin heater, which is going to be hard to have as optional so you can keep your windows from fogging at night there.

I don't know when the battery conditioning kicks in for Tesla but on the Bolt, where it's a lot more explicit, anything below about 20C the battery efficiency starts a modestly but noticeable drop. Around 10C it'll start explicitly using energy to condition itself. The Tesla is set up to do a much better job with this by recycling waste motor rotor heat but if you're not driving fast I'd guess there won't be waste heat available.

Reactions: efusco
You're in the Canadian Rockies. Even in summer that A/C won't amount to much. Just leave it on very modest setting like 22C and it'll barely touch your battery outside the sunniest days in the Okanagan.

What I do personally on the Bolt is just use fan until about roughly 30C. The energy usage of a mechanical fan is negligible compared to the A/C compressor.

What'll be more a concern for your trip is evening/nighttime temps, especially going through any passes. First concern for the Tesla will be the cabin heater, which is going to be hard to have as optional so you can keep your windows from fogging at night there.

I don't know when the battery conditioning kicks in for Tesla but on the Bolt, where it's a lot more explicit, anything below about 20C the battery efficiency starts a modestly but noticeable drop. Around 10C it'll start explicitly using energy to condition itself. The Tesla is set up to do a much better job with this by recycling waste motor rotor heat but if you're not driving fast I'd guess there won't be waste heat available.

Actually, the one long leg that I'm concerned about is through the Okanagan, Spokane to Kelowna. And a good part of that trip, both ways, will be early morning. The rest of the trip will be short enough legs between superchargers that range won't be an issue.

When I'm at the lodges the car will be parked at the staging areas for a week to ten days at a time. Only twice will that be far (90 miles) from a supercharger. Days could be hot, or nights could be cold (but probably not both). I doubt the temps will be too extreme. I sure hope the car does not start drawing power to heat or cool the battery while it's parked.

Actually, the one long leg that I'm concerned about is through the Okanagan, Spokane to Kelowna. And a good part of that trip, both ways, will be early morning.

Early morning shouldn't be a problem at all, the night's chill takes a good chuck of time to come off. The heat doesn't peak until after noon.

What I've seen people reporting is that the Model 3 A/C is pretty good about regulating itself to keep energy draw low when you don't have much temperature differential to cover. It only starts to noticeably bite into range when you've got conditions that are some mix of temps well into the 30's C (90's F), humidity, and/or low latitude direct sunlight.

I doubt the temps will be too extreme. I sure hope the car does not start drawing power to heat or cool the battery while it's parked.

From what I've seen people talking about it takes quite a bit to kick in, so it'd be unlikely this time of the year. If it's mid-day and you'll be parked a while just try find a tree to get some shade from. You should be good.

That's a beautiful trip up through there. Hope to make it some day again to do it EV style (I've done it motorcycle and ICE). It's a perfect 55mph/90kph meandering cruise to really milk your range. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: daniel