Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights won't turn off! But all good now....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my P3D+ yesterday. All good, super smooth delivery experience, no issues with the build quality or paint.

I was messing with all various layers of the UI, and even though I'm coming from an S, it is set up a bit different. Under the Service Menu there is an icon for adjusting the headlights. Being curious I pressed it, of course. DON"T DO IT!

Looks like there is a bug such that the car's lights go into the adjustment mode but the program gets hung up in some kind of loop. I tried moving the sliding switch to "off", a soft reset, and turning the power off entirely. Through it all the low beams stayed on. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Tesla Customer Assistance last night and they were stumped too.

I went to the Costa Mesa SC this morning and they quickly had a tech look at the car. Another 3 owner was there and he was reporting the same problem and tipped me off about the hang-up on the Adjust Headlights feature.

The technician plugged the car into his laptop, reset the system and boom - all back to normal. I'm sure Tesla will fix the bug but for now, don't mess with the headlight adjustments unless you are at or close to a service center!

I took delivery of my P3D+ yesterday. All good, super smooth delivery experience, no issues with the build quality or paint.

I was messing with all various layers of the UI, and even though I'm coming from an S, it is set up a bit different. Under the Service Menu there is an icon for adjusting the headlights. Being curious I pressed it, of course. DON"T DO IT!

Looks like there is a bug such that the car's lights go into the adjustment mode but the program gets hung up in some kind of loop. I tried moving the sliding switch to "off", a soft reset, and turning the power off entirely. Through it all the low beams stayed on. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Tesla Customer Assistance last night and they were stumped too.

I went to the Costa Mesa SC this morning and they quickly had a tech look at the car. Another 3 owner was there and he was reporting the same problem and tipped me off about the hang-up on the Adjust Headlights feature.

The technician plugged the car into his laptop, reset the system and boom - all back to normal. I'm sure Tesla will fix the bug but for now, don't mess with the headlight adjustments unless you are at or close to a service center!

You are like the 3rd or 4th person to report this kind or problem after accessing the headlights in the service menu.

I imagine Tesla will patch it. If the headlights are properly set at the factory there is no reason for an owner to mess with them unless they are towing (unlike German cars I don't believe Tesla has auto leveling headlights).

I ran into the same issue - however, I didnt mess with the option at all -- I simply entered into the menu... and after that instance, I was unable to get them to turn off. It also killed my blinkers (front) and hazard lights. They upgraded firmware to

When i was picking up my car, I overhead another model 3 owner report the same issue - i pulled him aside and informed him of my issue and he also confirmed that he had been in the menu the night before, and after that his lights wouldnt come off.

I was upgraded to FW 2018.34.1 (This weekend)