Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest seat adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a relatively new Model S owner and have been unable to adjust the seat/headrest to my liking. It appears that the headrest is non adjustable and is positioned about 1.75 inches in front of the seat back. When I adjust the seat to my liking my head just touches the headrest. So each bump in the road bounces my head forward and backwards. I have found the only way to prevent the head bounce is for me to sit leaning forward pulling my upper back off the "bucket" seat negating some of the benefits of the seat.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an aftermarket headrest?

Believe it or not, that's approximately the correct headrest placement. Most car manufacturers are moving towards this much closer setup in order to reduce head injuries. It's the same way in our other new car (not a Tesla). That said, most headrests are adjustable so the owner can defeat that feature if desired. Some manufacturers make it sit further away and actively move the headrest closer in an accident.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than find a different seating position that works, or live with it.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Believe it or not, that's approximately the correct headrest placement. Most car manufacturers are moving towards this much closer setup in order to reduce head injuries. It's the same way in our other new car (not a Tesla). That said, most headrests are adjustable so the owner can defeat that feature if desired. Some manufacturers make it sit further away and actively move the headrest closer in an accident.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than find a different seating position that works, or live with it.

My problem with the headrest is not necessary that it is approx. 2 inches forward from the seat, but the fact that the angle of the headrest is not adjustable and the base of the headrest digs into the base of my neck as I am 6' 2" tall. My tall son also complains about that issue. I wish I has an alternative to that headrest. I'll probably put some sort of cover over it whereas the top of the headrest will have more padding than the bottom. The factory boys just laugh at me like I am the only one on the planet with this issue. No, it is an issue for taller people.

I had the same problem. I partially released the backrest cloth to access the headrest foam. I then cut a slice off the foam. It's much better for me now.
_20200504_200029.JPG

Attachments

• _20200504_200029.JPG
    _20200504_200029.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 240