Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads Up Display Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under the passenger seat was easy. The MY has no spare OBD port behind the console as the M3 has. At least mine doesn't. So, had to go under the seat.

Note, am still working with the Dev to get blind spot detection arrows working...

View attachment 587493
Is there a difference between the two? I was thinking of doing two display with two light bars (speed, speed limit, regen on on graph, power on the other graph)

@JWardell Any way you can make the cable coming out of the display more aesthetics? If you can have it plug in behind the display and use a flat usb cable, you could probably make it basically invisible in the vent. Also, if you can tap directly into a switched power source in the driver footwell, you couldn't have to route the usb cable that far and it would look more oem

I have a newer USB plug that goes backwards instead of to the side, so the cable would be a little less visible. Or you could get a right angle USB cable. Still working on something with a case which will look prettier. But in any case, you usually don't see the cables because it is dark in the air vent. I'll post more video soon, maybe pop a gopro on my head so folks can see what it looks like from driver POV

Is there a difference between the two? I was thinking of doing two display with two light bars (speed, speed limit, regen on on graph, power on the other graph)

There is a big difference between the two can busses. The vehicle bus in the rear console has the motors and the battery on it so has a lot of the performance data that lots of people are interested in. But it does need a 3rd party cable to plug in. The chassis bus under the seat has autopilot/adas data not found on the other, more gps and acceleromter data, etc, and has a simple harness that I include so no other is needed. I try to document some popular signals here but Tesla changes it from time to time joshwardell/CANserver

• Informative
Reactions: 5280mcs and srk67
I have a newer USB plug that goes backwards instead of to the side, so the cable would be a little less visible. Or you could get a right angle USB cable. Still working on something with a case which will look prettier. But in any case, you usually don't see the cables because it is dark in the air vent. I'll post more video soon, maybe pop a gopro on my head so folks can see what it looks like from driver POV

There is a big difference between the two can busses. The vehicle bus in the rear console has the motors and the battery on it so has a lot of the performance data that lots of people are interested in. But it does need a 3rd party cable to plug in. The chassis bus under the seat has autopilot/adas data not found on the other, more gps and acceleromter data, etc, and has a simple harness that I include so no other is needed. I try to document some popular signals here but Tesla changes it from time to time joshwardell/CANserver
I look forward to the case. If I just wanted speed and something to show regen amount and acceleration amount via the light bar, could I do it with just the under seat bus? There doesn't seem to be an aesthetic way to use the console can bus

Latest view with the right angle connector. Definitely better.
20200918_144647.jpg

There's a couple different ways to run USB for power, I show some examples in the install video:

mid like to buy this and have some ideas to help it even more that’s simple.

first is I would add a pig tail or similar so you don’t have to use USB on the board and will locate the usb away from the display to help it disappear more or use direct 12v wire for power needs.

then I have this felt tape that is used to stop noise on panels rubbing that would make the display look like it is enclosed and help it wedge in better and no marking among more benefits.

when and how can I buy this as I would like a display with everything available and it looks like we have roughly 8-10 inch of good visible usable space in the steering wheel vent area to look OEM so I’d like to maximize this great product this guy made for us.

• Love
Reactions: Quorky
mid like to buy this and have some ideas to help it even more that’s simple.

first is I would add a pig tail or similar so you don’t have to use USB on the board and will locate the usb away from the display to help it disappear more or use direct 12v wire for power needs.

then I have this felt tape that is used to stop noise on panels rubbing that would make the display look like it is enclosed and help it wedge in better and no marking among more benefits.

when and how can I buy this as I would like a display with everything available and it looks like we have roughly 8-10 inch of good visible usable space in the steering wheel vent area to look OEM so I’d like to maximize this great product this guy made for us.

You're welcome to find any way to power the display with 5V if you want to be creative.
Also I now have a new version with bargraph and a case that I think would better for a simple install.

I've been looking for a HUD as well. My last car had one, and even though I never thought I wanted it, now I realize the benefits. It's so much easier when all the necessary information is right in front of your line of sight. I'm holding out as I'm looking for something a bit more integrated, the iterations i've seen are nice but don't have an "OEM" feel.

I also came across this today, seems Hannshow is introducing an instrument screen for the M3/MY. Looks pretty clean to my eye.
IMG_20200913_010623-100x100.jpg

IMG_20200913_011142_1-100x100.jpg

The system is pricey though. They have a video up of the install here --> Model 3, Y steering wheel center Console Screen | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

I’m ready to buy, how can we speak first to ensure I order the configuration I’m looking for of what you offer? I’m very excited to tweak it with my ideas.

do you have a short list of options that we can pick and choose?

id like the bar graph to go with throttle response if possible with white and on regen the graph turn red maybe?

The biggest thing I miss from prev cars HUD is the driving directions. I hate the Tesla voice (or any cars voice) directions and normally just turn it off, but I would love to be able to more easily see the turn navigation prompts. Especially on city streets. I haven’t gotten used to or comfortable with looking over at the center display.
Any ideas on getting nav directions integrated?

Software version 2020.40.3 killed the speed display on the Hansshow HUD :(

This is what I'm afraid of, as Tesla changes the data with every update.
Even more frustrating because this year I seem to be on the tail end of the updates, so I can't find the changes and fix things for folks right away.
It's also a big reason why I made sure it was easy to change the data settings so no need for any firmware updates to get the display working again.

This is what I'm afraid of, as Tesla changes the data with every update.
Even more frustrating because this year I seem to be on the tail end of the updates, so I can't find the changes and fix things for folks right away.
It's also a big reason why I made sure it was easy to change the data settings so no need for any firmware updates to get the display working again.
Yes, I was wondering exactly the same. Since the data format is proprietary, Tesla can do whatever they want and potentially stop 3rd party gadgets from working. On the other hand (if I was managing their software) I would only make such a change if absolutely needed.

Is there a way to infer regen/acceleration power off of the chassis bus? Like I said earlier, I am planning to run two of your bargraph displays, showing blind spot monitoring on both sides, speed limit, current speed, deceleration on one graph, and acceleration on the other. Motor power would be ideal for that, but I only want to use the chassis bus, so I am open to ideas for what to do instead.

Also, what is the update frequency on the displays?