Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen one advertised at Frys.com. It's made by Schosche and sells for about $69 when not on sale. The manufacturer's website says it connects via OBD; but I can't tell if it would work with any model Tesla. I'm posting the Schosche website link; not to advertise them or promote them. I'm only posting in case someone else has experience with that company or similar products.

Car Heads Up Display | HeadsUp OBDII | HeadsUp | by Scosche

I'm also posting a picture of the display from the Schosche website for info.
Schosche HeadsUp.JPG

I have seen one advertised at Frys.com. It's made by Schosche and sells for about $69 when not on sale. The manufacturer's website says it connects via OBD; but I can't tell if it would work with any model Tesla. I'm posting the Schosche website link; not to advertise them or promote them. I'm only posting in case someone else has experience with that company or similar products.

View attachment 297722

That won’t work on a Model 3 because the car doesn’t provide an OBD2 data stream.

That won’t work on a Model 3 because the car doesn’t provide an OBD2 data stream.

It comes with a 12v adapter so doesn't need the OBD2.

Having said that - what's the point of this. You can get speed based on GPS which will not be as accurate as the car. Engine RPM doesn't apply (and would work only if attached to an OBD). The only other reading that could apply is temperature - don't really need to see on my windshield.

I did see a HUD that will project you phone screen on to the windshield. Everything gets mirrored so you need HUD approved apps. If Waze ever designs a HUD setting, I would consider this.

View attachment 297722
Thanks. Seen pictures too. Sony know if it just needs power or info from port. That's why I am curious where people have installed from. If just power could follow dashcam installs

Before getting my Model 3 I was concerned about the lack of a speedometer in my line of sight. But it turns out that the speedo on the screen is visible enough not to be a problem. And with TACC, it's even less of a problem. No aftermarket HUD for me.

Reactions: N8Howell33
Before getting my Model 3 I was concerned about the lack of a speedometer in my line of sight. But it turns out that the speedo on the screen is visible enough not to be a problem. And with TACC, it's even less of a problem. No aftermarket HUD for me.

I agree. No standard gauges and no HUD was initially a deal breaker for me, but after just a few weeks in the car, it's natural to look at the screen for the speedometer. I find myself doing it even in our other car that has a HUD.

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
I agree. No standard gauges and no HUD was initially a deal breaker for me, but after just a few weeks in the car, it's natural to look at the screen for the speedometer. I find myself doing it even in our other car that has a HUD.

I hardly look at the speedometer.
If you are passing a lot of people...you must be speeding. If a lot of people are passing u,..you are most likely going the speed limit.

I hardly look at the speedometer.
If you are passing a lot of people...you must be speeding. If a lot of people are passing u,..you are most likely going the speed limit.

I agree, but that only works if you're in the middle of traffic on the freeway where relative speed is more important than actual speed. It doesn't work if your route is on surface streets notorious for speed traps.

I agree, but that only works if you're in the middle of traffic on the freeway where relative speed is more important than actual speed. It doesn't work if your route is on surface streets notorious for speed traps.

That's what cruise control is for. And now that we have the right-hand scroll wheel for TACC settings, it's even easier. :)

I think the lack of a HUD for model3 is mainly a internationalization problem like e.g. Windows 3.11 had when developers and Product Managers not aware people in other countries for instance writing 1.000,00 Euro or 1’000.00 CHF and are thinking abt 1000 Euro or 1000 Swiss Francs.

If youre driving a M3 in the US with highways going steady straight with speedlimit of 80 mph and „keep your lane“ policy you might find - as Elon does - that you dont need a HUD.

If in oposite you re rinding the m3 - as I do - on a German Autobahn with „drive on the most righthand lane“ laws, many narrow turns right and left uphill and downhill and every km or so changing speedlimits I do realy miss the HUD of my BMW Model 535 (from 2004). Always dancing your Eyes forward and backward betweet the Lane you re driving on and the Display on the Middle of the Console does make my eyes getting tired fast. So I‘m glad that people here found some working solutions for this.

Yes ELON, you are wrong on this as far as riding in Europe especially in Germany has to be mentioned. TESLA should realy have thought of an optional HUD for people who would even like to pay for this option, because they are in different Situations on their roads than Tesla Developers or Product Managers are aware of.