Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel Use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I want to start off by saying, I loved my heated steering wheel on my 2010 BMW (my former car). I used it ALL the time. I keep my car garaged all the time, but even in the New York winters, my garage can get cold. I considered the sub-zero package an absolute must for the heated steering wheel only. I didn't care about rear heated seats since I have 2 car seats back there.

Well, I've had my D85 for 3 weeks and I have used the heated steering wheel very little. This is because I am now pre-heating the car before I get into it and it's a very comfortable temperature when I enter my car already. In my old car, I didn't have that option so my car was pretty cold when I would get into it.

Does anyone else find that the pre-heating of the inside cabin is sufficient in place of a heated steering wheel? I am just curious b/c I used to rave about this feature on my old car and now barely use it!

Living in Montreal.... even when doing pre-heating, the steering wheel is cold when getting in the car. I really enjoy the heated option! Would like it better if I could activate it with the app....
You bring up a good point. It's a little of a chore to turn it on. In my BMW, it was a single button on my steering wheel. Now I have to click 3 times to turn it on from the touchscreen.

On Long Island here as well. It's been pretty cold the last couple days and man, my S is comfy warm after just 5 minutes of pre-heating. I head out a 5:30 A.M. and usually turn it on for only 5 minutes. My wife's car has it and I rarely used it. Now that I have a Tesla, I never use her car :)
IMHO For the heated wheel , the sub zero is not worth it. I'm glad I didn't get it.

I had a loaner for a while with a heated wheel. Some observations:

1. Turning it on is awkward via touchscreen menus. Should be easy to access like seat heaters (which you don't need to access as often because they stay on).

2. It gets way too hot after 10 minutes, and. Is hard to turn off while driving. Should regulate or turn off automatically.

3. The car knows it's cold... should really just turn itself on for 5 minutes when you start the car (with disable option).

Just got a new Leaf and love the heated steering wheel even here in Atlanta. I have cold hands that love the heat, but the rest of my body likes the car cool so I pretty much just run the heated steering wheel and almost never run the cabin heat.

Wish my old Signature Model S had a heated steering wheel too.

Well, I've had my D85 for 3 weeks and I have used the heated steering wheel very little. This is because I am now pre-heating the car before I get into it and it's a very comfortable temperature when I enter my car already. In my old car, I didn't have that option so my car was pretty cold when I would get into it.
The only thing missing from my CPO was sub-zero. You just made me realize that actually I don't need it (though my two teenagers would like the rear-seat heat it has to be said). I'd like to be able to switch on the heated seats from the app, more efficient than pre-heat, but then would want the heated steering-wheel AND to be able to switch it on remotely.

As for multiple 'clicks' on the screen - why-oh-why is there not a favorites section where you can load all your regularly used stuff to a single dropdown box from the top, or have that collection open as one of the half-panels. Come on Tesla time to open up the SDK so we can customize the panels.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I would use it more if it were easier to turn on. It's nice when the car is preheated, really helpful when it is not. I find that I turn it on whenthe car is cold, probably because I think about it as I'm getting strapped in to the cold seat, and don't bother when the cabin is already warm. Single button and voice control would be great.

Yeah - I love the heated wheel as well. On my Audi it activates automatically when the temp is under 50 degress. I got the subzero because I love the heated steering wheel but it would be nice to set it by conditions or from the app.

They should make the 2 front heated seat icons on the main screen split. They could easily fit more icons in that real estate. The left seat should control the front seats and the right side should handle the rest (rear all on and wiper/steering).

I have car seats in the rear and my daughter loves having the warm seat back to put her feet on. Toasty feet is a great thing when you're five pointed harnessed in place.

Sorry to be off topic but it seems everyone uses pre conditioning. I have it on my i3 but rarely use it. Can that be set automatically. My MS is suppose to be built on Monday according to my DS. I was having 2nd thoughts last week about the purchase but getting a bit excited now

Sorry to be off topic but it seems everyone uses pre conditioning. I have it on my i3 but rarely use it. Can that be set automatically. My MS is suppose to be built on Monday according to my DS. I was having 2nd thoughts last week about the purchase but getting a bit excited now

Yes, smart preconditioning learns your schedule and preheats accordingly. I do usually go by a regular schedule but I have found it is not really a big deal to me to smart precondition since my schedule can vary by up to 30 minutes.

BTW, really off topic but its good to see you posting in TMC. The Tesla Forum itself is full of rabidly insane Tesla cheerleaders that froth at the mouth whenever someone voices concerns. If you check back in your thread, you'll see some other owners have stepped up to ensure that kind of vicious stuff is kept to a minimum but TMC seems a lot more reasonable.