Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that I have to turn the heat up to around 80 deg F to keep it comfortable for me. What settings are you guys using to get the cabin comfortable at 72 deg F.

I know comfortable is subjective but my old ICE subaru would just crank heat out at 70 and most times I had to turn it down. I have tried recirc and vent and both seem to keep the car chilly when set to 72 with the outside temp at 40 deg F. Auto has a mind of its own so I haven't used it too much as I don't feel that it works that well.

When it's 40° out, I also find that I want to set the interior temp around 80°F. and even then, I don't think the auto fan blows as hard as it should. On my wife's Lexus, I tend to set the temperature to about 72, and it works about right. When it's 70 and sunny and I get into the car, I find that I want to set the interior temp to about 70.
So:
(1) I think the thermostat in my car might be offset a bit
(2) I think the car should be far more aggressive at trying to make the cabin a comfy temperature. I shouldn't need to change the set point by 10 degrees just based on the exterior weather. Sure it'll cost some power, but power is supposed to be inexpensive in an EV. If I want to compromise comfort for range, I should be forced to explicitly make that decision.

When it's 40° out, I also find that I want to set the interior temp around 80°F. and even then, I don't think the auto fan blows as hard as it should. On my wife's Lexus, I tend to set the temperature to about 72, and it works about right. When it's 70 and sunny and I get into the car, I find that I want to set the interior temp to about 70.
So:
(1) I think the thermostat in my car might be offset a bit
(2) I think the car should be far more aggressive at trying to make the cabin a comfy temperature. I shouldn't need to change the set point by 10 degrees just based on the exterior weather. Sure it'll cost some power, but power is supposed to be inexpensive in an EV. If I want to compromise comfort for range, I should be forced to explicitly make that decision.

I keep my car in the garage and tonight it was about 40F degrees out when I went to dinner. The outside temperature my car was seeing was 82F from the garage. As I drove about 400 yards the outside temp changed from 82F to about 50F very quickly.

I bring this up because the fan speed changed as the temperature dropped rapidly. So I think if it is really cold outside it lowers the fan speed so that the blowing air is proper temperature.

I've been pleasantly surprised to discover how quickly the Model S heats up. The other day it sat outside in 28F weather for five hours. Within about 30 seconds of driving it had started heating the cabin. Way faster than any ICE I've ever owned. This has been the most unexpected thing I found myself raving positively about the car to other people.

I've found that leaving everything to Auto and 72F has worked perfectly for me, including driving for a couple of hours with 3 people in that below freezing weather.

With the seat heater on I find that I can set the thermostat back to 70F and maintain the same level of comfort and save a few watts.