Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy battery cooling and recent updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheWalkingDad

Cybertruck 23' or bust.
Oct 30, 2018
Maryland
I’ve noticed that after supercharging or after just finishing a long drive that the cooling system for the batteries seems to ramp up to the max. I haven’t had this happen during and before update 5.15 and i’m wondering if this is the side effect of higher supercharging rates... or something else?

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Also I’ve noticed the high speed cooling kills about 5 or more miles of battery range while it is running (runs for a solid 4-5 minutes after supercharge). so effectively decreases the range immediately after you finish supercharging. IMHO, I wouldn’t mind a slower taper upon getting close to the end of my charge in order to control the heat...if that is indeed the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I noticed the same thing ever since updating to 2019.5. These fans sound surprisingly louder than the S/X. I was supercharging at around 32kW for 2 hours last week with the fans running for almost the entire time.

The cooling fans on mine don’t run at all while supercharging...only after supercharging is finished. I’ve done 115kW for a solid 20 minutes at 20%-40% SoC without the cooling ever coming on. It tapers to around 20kW when it is about to be done.

The cooling fans on mine don’t run at all while supercharging...only after supercharging is finished. I’ve done 115kW for a solid 20 minutes at 20%-40% SoC without the cooling ever coming on. It tapers to around 20kW when it is about to be done.
I’m on 8.5 and the cooling fans are noticeably more active. I’ve only charged at home L2, and nothing has changed.

Reactions: steve in socal