Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy wear in front passenger tire - should I replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the minimalistic approach is extended into the tesla’s dealership! they have nothing other than a show room!

you will be dreaming if you think they have an alignment machine in their back to prep the alignment of your new car!

the minimalistic approach is extended into the tesla’s dealership! they have nothing other than a show room!

you will be dreaming if you think they have an alignment machine in their back to prep the alignment of your new car!

Maybe not all but my service centre does. They change tires, balance them and can do wheel alignments. I brought mine in as I thought the steering to be acting odd. Car was driven, checked, and alignment verified. Turns out the performance tires with the 20" wheels are very sensitive to small ruts in the road as when I put on 19" snow tires the issue is no more.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
Yeah, my local SC is rather large and does all sorts of repairs. Fortunately, my car hasn't spent a lot of time there, but it's very open and a big wall of glass doesn't hide anything.

Showrooms have display cars, no techs, and no equipment.
Service Centers have no display cars and lots of techs and equipment.

Maybe not all but my service centre does. They change tires, balance them and can do wheel alignments. I brought mine in as I thought the steering to be acting odd. Car was driven, checked, and alignment verified. Turns out the performance tires with the 20" wheels are very sensitive to small ruts in the road as when I put on 19" snow tires the issue is no more.

We have the same problem with both front tires. We have an appointment with the Service Center. I am not happy about this...

Front left at 4800 miles (rears are normal):

EBD912C3-7E07-41D3-8BE6-1ACBDD539EDD.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 2left
Always check FE alignment on ANY car from ANY factory.
That's been my rule for 45 years, and it remains in effect today. The ONLY reason I haven't had my FE aligned is I'm planning on putting softer (Comfort from UPP) springs on.

• Informative
Venturer: Question about driving style. Model Y is heavy, possibly heavier than your previous car. If you are consistently turning, while braking, at...uhh...well...assertive/aggressive speeds (because the Y can do it, and it's FUN!), you'll wear your tires out very quickly.

...just a thought...

Tesla isn't the only manufacturer with alignment issues from the factory. Part of "dealer prep" has been to check alignment on all cars, which I know is done at the 4 Toyota dealerships I've dealt with. Ditto for VW.

My VW GTi had HORRIBLY mis-aligned tires from the get go. I had very poor traction off a standing start, which I chalked up to powerful FWD car. Well, go to the 10k mile oil change and was told that the inside of my front tires was not only past the wear bars, but showing the belts! In 10k miles, at least 1/2 of which was highway mileage. I got VW to pay for the alignment, but not the tires.

After that, traction was much, much improved. And 14k miles later when I traded the car, the front tires were maybe 25% worn.

Venturer: Question about driving style. Model Y is heavy, possibly heavier than your previous car. If you are consistently turning, while braking, at...uhh...well...assertive/aggressive speeds (because the Y can do it, and it's FUN!), you'll wear your tires out very quickly.

...just a thought...

I hear you. However, we actually don’t drive the MY very hard. (I have a C8 Corvette for spirited driving.) About half our miles are interstate. I should have eyeballed the tires earlier, but the car drove ok, and it’s my wife’s primary car vs mine. Lesson learned. We will see how the Tesla “Service Center” responds.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/8621572a-8321-4df7-b54a-435572baf0bb-jpeg.627868/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/41e2cd77-3400-4c64-8203-a154fbb2d161-jpeg.627870/

So on my car with less than 300miles I noticed the steering wheel was not centered and was concerned the alignment might be an issue also. I scheduled an appointment and they fixed the steering wheel and did a wheel alignment. The readings showed that only one wheel was out of alignment, driver rear. I highly recommend you take your new car to the SC for alignment and let them know that you are concerned it arrived out of spec. Tesla service did this all at NC.

Last edited:
Here are my front tires at around 4700 miles and ~42 psi. They look pretty good considering I hit the Acceleration Boost every time I get (neutered since I'm typically at <70% SOC) and I do a lot of spirited driving on twisty mountain roads.

MY_front_tires.jpg

We have the same problem with both front tires. We have an appointment with the Service Center. I am not happy about this...

Front left at 4800 miles (rears are normal):

View attachment 629117

Tesla Alignment.jpg

My service date finally arrived. When they looked at my tires they insisted the wear was not an alignment problem, but a result of aggressive driving. They also said the passenger side was more worn because I make more fast right turns (wtf?!) I told him I have two kids and this is our family car, but they still insisted my driving was the cause and said it would cost $200 if I also wanted an alignment. I finally said I'd go ahead and just pay the for $600 for two new tires, and they then said they'd do an alignment "as a courtesy."

Turns out the front tires were badly misaligned with toe in as people in this thread had surmised. It's hard to see the numbers, but the front left tire had a .93 toe (with a -.80 camber) and the right side had a .57 toe, for a total toe of 1.50 degrees. Still, they said alignment was not a warranty issue and I had to pay the $600.

btw - why is it that the left front was misaligned, but the right front had the excessive wear?

Last edited:
View attachment 632225
btw - why is it that the left front was misaligned, but the right front had the excessive wear?

The vehicle could be driver side heavy majority of the time, therefore the front driver tire is “gripping” more than the front passenger tire which causes the front passenger tire to absorb the majority of the toe angle.

Or.... you’re having more fun turning left than you’re thinking :)

Both toe numbers change as you turn the wheel, so which wheel shows the error isn't impacting tire wear. From what I understand, toe misalignment wears both tires about the same. Inner or outer edges depending on toe-in or toe-out. I'm quite sure your toe misalignment is what killed your tires' outer shoulder.

It's possible that it was correct when it left the factory and a pothole, curb, or some other event knocked it out. I suspect it was wrong when you got it though,

• Informative