Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hellcat Re-Match Results in beating P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats up with the copyright verbiage on your signature? Thats a first i've never seen on forums. Are you really worried someone is going to use your comment somewhere for profit purposes? Only on TMC I guess...

"Journalists" cut and pasted some people's posts from here , without permission, with and without attribution, and in a way that was inaccurate as to the context and basically just link baiting BS stories. Sigs like that became more common afterwards.
You've made some really good posts. Please don't now fall into the trap of attributing a shared negative stereotype to TMC members (after all you are one too:) ).

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. Wow. Quick responses.

I had 3 GT-Rs over 5 years, put 80k miles on them combined, it's just fine as a daily driver..... just as or more streetable than a Hellcat..

Definitely not a good comparison to a GTR, because GTR is a sports car with limited usage other than performance, unlike a Hellcat (in both Challenger and
Charger configurations) which could be used as a daily driver and haul a family and groceries around no problem, and actually rides very nicely. A GTR is more of a purpose built / street legal race car and would demolish the P85D in everything except 0-30MPH launches- even then, it would be pretty close if using launch control. Around a track, a GTR would destroy P85D almost instantly. In fact, the P85D around a track would likely best compare with a 250-300HP ICE like a Subaru because of its heavy weight and power reducing limp mode.

Based on the comments here, its really unfortunate there is little respect for other vehicles such as the Hellcat, and quite a bit of "high and mighty" pro-Tesla fan's cheering. It really is a shame, because most auto forums I frequent have a lot of auto enthusiasts with respect for other cars and their performance, and here- well, its a lot of "ICE vehicles better step aside!" "Tesla is the BEST!" "No comparison to the Tesla! Who cares if the ICE is faster, its old!"

:/

Whats up with the copyright verbiage on your signature? Thats a first i've never seen on forums. Are you really worried someone is going to use your comment somewhere for profit purposes? Only on TMC I guess...
Besides from what has been mentioned, someone actually did try to use comments here for profit purposes by copying and pasting whole posts to use as thread starters in their own Tesla forum. I don't remember the name anymore though (probably it got shut down)

The hellcat on street tires doesn't get better than 0-60 in 4.7 seconds:

We test the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat from 0-60 MPH over over again - YouTube

Which means, if I understand that correctly, that even the P85 (rear-wheel drive) is quicker 0-60 than the Hellcat normally as a daily driver. Or not?

However, it seems electric drive trains are especially suited to provide AWD, using two motors, one for the front wheels, one for the rear-wheels, avoiding the need for a mechanical connection and allowing improved traction control.

Folks, I'd like the P85D to kill anything it encounters....but can we just graciously accept the loss and take the challenge to make the S faster? I'm a huge Tesla cheerleader, but we make ourselves look silly when we try to find excuses for a valid loss. That S got beat. It was still an impressive performance, and hopefully a future upgrade will change the result.

It reminds me of the comments posted to YouTube when an S beats some other sports car. (launch control not used, bad driver, etc).

S lost. It's OK. i'm sure Elon and JB are working on something to fix that :).

Folks, I'd like the P85D to kill anything it encounters....but can we just graciously accept the loss and take the challenge to make the S faster? I'm a huge Tesla cheerleader, but we make ourselves look silly when we try to find excuses for a valid loss. That S got beat. It was still an impressive performance, and hopefully a future upgrade will change the result.

It reminds me of the comments posted to YouTube when an S beats some other sports car. (launch control not used, bad driver, etc).

First of all, I'm not assuming that Model S is the quickest car or even the quickest daily driver. I'd be positively surprised if it is.

However, it lost a drag race, not a performance comparison as a daily driver. I don't see why that would need to be "fixed". Model S is not a drag racer, and there is no point in being quicker than something that uses special efforts like a launch control (one that you wouldn't use in daily driving), requires a specially trained driver (other than to make sure the results are valid), drag race tires, or tire smoking. I don't see the challenge.

(Yet, even for a drag race, I'd like to see one where the drivers don't have an non-competitive emotional relationship like that between father and son, before I concede anything other than the event of a lost race.)

Wow, can't get better pics than that fiksegts, that driveshaft is toast.

- - - Updated - - -

The Hellcat is not dedicated to anything. It seats 5 people just like the Model S without those weird trunk seats....
C'mon I've seen the Hellcats back seats, its doesn't seat 5 adults just like a MS, you gotta squeeze in there and the hump...

Wow, can't get better pics than that fiksegts, that driveshaft is toast.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon I've seen the Hellcats back seats, its doesn't seat 5 adults just like a MS, you gotta squeeze in there and the hump...

Have you seen the Charger Hellcat backseats? Not the Chally, those are smaller- the Charger is very roomy.

- - - Updated - - -

Great post Todd! As a car enthusiast, it's best to give credit where credit is due. Making excuses for the car you own shows insecurity and is lame. I respect the Hellcat and what it can do, but obviously my money went to the P85D. That doesn't mean I need to defend my investment by talking smack on the Hellcat. To each their own.

Wait for the 2.8s 0-60 firmware :)

check your date....

Doesn't really matter. It's the first video that went viral and is the one people will remember for years to come.

hehe

so basically

*putting fingers on ears*

"la-la-la i cant hear youuu"

Why?

How many does the Hellcat seat? How practical is it for a daily driver? This is like matching up a Lambo and a Honda Accord... (NOT comparing cars). The Tesla is wicked fast. So Fiat built a cheaper/quicker car... I'm sure that it will last all of 10 minutes... the reliability ratings of Fiat are obviously unmatched...

I just question the comparison of these vehicles. I LOVE my Tesla, and the Fiat is a fine... car? ugly thing...? whatever. anyone can cram 700 HP engine into an obese car... it takes real skill to build a P85D.

I'm fairly certain if Tesla wanted to race, and brought a factory team to the tracks it would destroy anything else out there. Up the motor, lower the gears. Cut the battery pack in 1/2 (weight). Add some capacitors. Strip out the seats, slam it to 1" off the ground. Remove everything not needed to make the car MOVE. a real 1/4 mile version...

1) talk about ignoring the vid & moving the goalposts lol.

as soon as a vid shows tesla losing, it's all about every other attribute BUT the racing/power/speed showcased therein.

2) the SRT is no more a Fiat car than a Laguna is a Nissan car

I can't remember the last time I saw someone warm up their tires in a cloud of smoke before an impromptu street drag. Not sure how many miles you'd get on those specialty tires either.

The ICE beast is a purpose-built machine. If it didn't win, there should be some heads rolling at Chrysler headquarters!

What would be interesting is putting the two on a track with <gasp> corners...! That's the only test that would really interest me.

classic TM fan reaction: it's an interesting metric until Tesla's defeat becomes clear, then shift to another metric - the "only" metric that is interesting/matters ;)

the Hellcats have been breaking driveshafts after adding drag radials as well.... so yes, the Hellcat can win with the right conditions; drag radials, prepped drag strip, low tire pressures, waterbox, burnout to heat the tires and crossing fingers not to break...

tesla12verrorscreen.jpg

modelsgettingtowed.png

teslarepairinvoice.gif

S lost. It's OK. i'm sure Elon and JB are working on something to fix that
smile.gif

you are asking an emotional fandom that gets defensive at every evidence of tesla imperfection to please not get emotionally defensive, and lash out in pride-hurt anger.

People here love comparing Tesla and Apple. They would do better to compare their respective fanbase.

Last edited:
classic TM fan reaction: it's an interesting metric until Tesla's defeat becomes clear, then shift to another metric - the "only" metric that is interesting/matters ;)

The reality is that different people have different metrics in the first place. Yours may be the seconds at a drag race... on this forum it is often the amount of smog, CO2, and limited resource consumption. And, consequently, the fitness of electric drive technology for general use in cars. We'd like Tesla to win in as many categories as possible, not necessarily in a single specific one. There may be a few drag race fans here, but you are bound to hear many voices who don't see that as the primary metric.

For many here, the interest is much more in comparing cars in the way they come from the dealer or shop, and less (even if also) in the record times that can be achieved by applying additional efforts.

The reality is that different people have different metrics in the first place. Yours may be the seconds at a drag race... on this forum it is often the amount of smog, CO2, and limited resource consumption. And, consequently, the fitness of electric drive technology for general use in cars. We'd like Tesla to win in as many categories as possible, not necessarily in a single specific one. There may be a few drag race fans here, but you are bound to hear many voices who don't see that as the primary metric.

For many here, the interest is much more in comparing cars in the way they come from the dealer or shop, and less (even if also) in the record times that can be achieved by applying additional efforts.

Norbert, you need to speak for yourself.

There are many buyers, me included, who are performance junkies who pay a premium for a performance model of a certain vehicle. The P85D caters to the same people who buy the M versions of BMW, the AMG versions of Mercedes, and the S or RS versions of Audi. I am the guy that not only gets the faster performance model of the factory cars, but I am the person who also modifies the vehicle to extract as much HP as possible from that car and get more power out of the motor. If I could, I would have a 900-1000 HP version of the P85D if there was a way to do it in the aftermarket.

I truly believe this thread, and discussions of performance oriented vehicles is not for you. Please do not take it the wrong way, but there are threads related to smog, CO2, and limited resource discussion you could take your attention to.

Guys like me, and hopefully other performance minded individuals, like to discuss things like drag racing and who can win by a few tenths or more and discuss performance aspects of the car. This aint your thread and that's cool - no harm no foul.

Norbert, you need to speak for yourself.

There are many buyers, me included, who are performance junkies who pay a premium for a performance model of a certain vehicle. The P85D caters to the same people who buy the M versions of BMW, the AMG versions of Mercedes, and the S or RS versions of Audi. I am the guy that not only gets the faster performance model of the factory cars, but I am the person who also modifies the vehicle to extract as much HP as possible from that car and get more power out of the motor. If I could, I would have a 900-1000 HP version of the P85D if there was a way to do it in the aftermarket.

I truly believe this thread, and discussions of performance oriented vehicles is not for you. Please do not take it the wrong way, but there are threads related to smog, CO2, and limited resource discussion you could take your attention to.

Guys like me, and hopefully other performance minded individuals, like to discuss things like drag racing and who can win by a few tenths or more and discuss performance aspects of the car. This aint your thread and that's cool - no harm no foul.

Wow. I might respond by saying you are on the wrong website for any discussion that compares a factory-version Model S to anything else, be it a drag race or anything else.

If I bought a Model S, and the only reason I didn't already is its outer size, it would probably be a P85D. I'm quite likely to buy the P85D equivalent of the Model 3. If I don't buy the P85D itself. So I'm afraid you are going to have to deal with my opinions.

Wow. I might respond by saying you are on the wrong website for any discussion that compares a factory-version Model S to anything else, be it a drag race or anything else.

If I bought a Model S, and the only reason I didn't already is its outer size, it would probably be a P85D. I'm quite likely to buy the P85D equivalent of the Model 3. If I don't buy the P85D itself. So I'm afraid you are going to have to deal with my opinions.

Ok, so you have 4,376 posts here and do not even have a Tesla? When I type LOL, I am usually not laughing out loud- its just a thing I put online.. but in this case, I am truly "laughing out loud" when I put this... LOL !

Ok, so you have 4,376 posts here and do not even have a Tesla? When I type LOL, I am usually not laughing out loud- its just a thing I put online.. but in this case, I am truly "laughing out loud" when I put this... LOL !

Yes, I don't. The reason is the outer size - it doesn't comfortably fit in the garages I usually have available to me.

And regarding your LOL... maybe you really don't understand this website yet.

Update: And the Roadster was too small for my tall body... I joined this website when there was only the Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

So you really care about that half second that the hellcat achieves with drag radials and smoking tires? Is there anything you wanted to say about that, that my posts kept you from discussing?

Last edited:
we got ppl here dropping six figures for faster than an already great acceleration spec from the regular trims

we got ppl here creaming their pants when it's revealed a 0-60 of 4.3....then 3.2...maybe 2.8...

we got ppl blood-red proud that a heavy full size sedan can drag a two seater and not lose respect

...but the only metrics to care about is environmental impact or buying experience?

cmon, son.

;)

PS: i also dont own a tesla, but have ridden one, & def will get it in the coming years

Tesla enthusiasts are welcome @ TMC, regardless of whether they own a Tesla vehicle. I don't get the LOL here.

I get that brianman, that wasn't the reason I was laughing. I'm just thinking of all the debate he's made here talking about a car he has zero financial interest in and formulating opinions as if he owns and has experience with the car. Kind of like forming an opinion and stating information as fact about how much better it is to live on Mars versus Earth. I'm pretty sure I'd rather hear the opinion of someone whose lived on Mars rather than hear information based on hearsay,speculation, and opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

we got ppl here dropping six figures for faster than an already great acceleration spec from the regular trims

we got ppl here creaming their pants when it's revealed a 0-60 of 4.3....then 3.2...maybe 2.8...

we got ppl blood-red proud that a heavy full size sedan can drag a two seater and not lose respect

...but the only metrics they care about is environmental impact or buying experience?

cmon, son.

;)

PS: i also dont own a tesla, but have ridden one, & def will get it in the coming years

Haha exactly. I'm on my second Tesla, went from a P85 to a P85D and I have a guy in here arguing with me about being on the wrong website because I shouldn't be discussing drag races in a performance version of the Model S, but rather talking about smog and environment benefits. I have a P85D primarily for performance reasons, because it's awesome in that category- other features such as using electricity instead of gas is secondary. The electric motor and power delivery is why I have this car right now. For someone who types thousands of posts and has not dropped a penny on the car that tells me I'm in the wrong place is hilarious to me, hence the LOL.