Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello there

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys , so i am looking to buy a pre-owned tesla , to take overseas with me (yes i know no dealer here to back me up , i must be crazy)
I am looking to see , what the general opinion is here on model S's , if you guys are mostly (or completely ) happy with the product and/or what your thoughts would be , on taking a car like this to an area where there are no dealers .
Is it reliable enough , do you guys have any known issues with the model S .
Why are there so many 2013's for sale , and not 2014's ? , is it a price issue , are the 2013's no good or do people love the 2014's so much they dont want to sell them ?
And what exactly does " ludicrous " mode do (and how does it do it ) .
I am looking for a P85 , does this have "ludicrous " mode ?
Are the dealers helpfull? Does everything have to go through them (if i want to change a tire /wiper etc) myself , is that frowned upon ?
If you neep parts for the car will they sell you the parts or do they want to change it themselves ?
Sorry for all the questions , i am looking into all of this to know what i am getting myself into

A P85 is an older version without ludicrous mode. Ludicrous mode is simply a quicker version of the P85D and P90D (dual motor versions). It's probably not the best to take this car into someplace where you can't get it serviced.

There are plenty 2014's for sale you just have to take your time and look, Secondly Ludicrous is only an Option for P85D's,P90D's, and P100D Models and simply what it does is make your Model S "Faster", And also no P85+ Comes with ludicrous mode at all wasn't available then. Also doing your DIY's arent bad just make sure you put wipers in service mode! And as far as parts go Tesla would do the work, they wont sell you over the counter parts at all you are forced to find a Tesla approved body shop!:D

Thanks for the quick reply here guys , so yeah , as a guy that has had many cars (my life and work revolves around it ) i tend to do most of my stuff myself , of course certain things are best left to the dealers .
Also as a guy who has owned (still have some) high powered V8's and turbo cars , a faster electric does sound appealing (i will noy be drag racing and that sort of thing though , my time for that stuff has passed ) , and lets face it who doesn't like a fast car .
Either way , is there a specific rrason you mention not to get a 95d with ludicrous , to a remote location ? Are they known to break down ?
When you say they wont sell you parts over the counter , so lets say i am here and a lower control arm bushing or tie rod end bites the dust , tesla wont sell me one ? .
Also thanks for all this info , it really helps me make a decision , i appreciate this alot , you know what they say knowing is half the battle

Thanks for the quick reply here guys , so yeah , as a guy that has had many cars (my life and work revolves around it ) i tend to do most of my stuff myself , of course certain things are best left to the dealers .
Also as a guy who has owned (still have some) high powered V8's and turbo cars , a faster electric does sound appealing (i will noy be drag racing and that sort of thing though , my time for that stuff has passed ) , and lets face it who doesn't like a fast car .
Either way , is there a specific rrason you mention not to get a 95d with ludicrous , to a remote location ? Are they known to break down ?
When you say they wont sell you parts over the counter , so lets say i am here and a lower control arm bushing or tie rod end bites the dust , tesla wont sell me one ? .
Also thanks for all this info , it really helps me make a decision , i appreciate this alot , you know what they say knowing is half the battle

Not stating that you should get a P90D with ludicrous mode, but if your a guy that likes fast cars go for it. But if you get a used Model S, Make sure it has warranty on it, no Tesla is issue free! Because our 85D and P85D have had issues but not one's that stop you from driving the vehicle. So be wise warranty will be your best friend because Tesla will probably give you a loaner while yours is being repaired, But best hustle for you is probably to buy a Tesla inventory car to get all of teslas special treatments.:D

Not stating that you should get a P90D with ludicrous mode, but if your a guy that likes fast cars go for it. But if you get a used Model S, Make sure it has warranty on it, no Tesla is issue free! Because our 85D and P85D have had issues but not one's that stop you from driving the vehicle. So be wise warranty will be your best friend because Tesla will probably give you a loaner while yours is being repaired, But best hustle for you is probably to buy a Tesla inventory car to get all of teslas special treatments.:D
This is why i love forums , tons of help and people that have actually experience on the matter .
My biggest worry is , the fact that i will be taking this out of the country (to an island , yes i must be crazy) , so i dont know how warranty would work in a case like that .
If parts are available , to me , i think anything can be fixed , but if they wont sell you the parts , that could be a little bit of an issue .

This is why i love forums , tons of help and people that have actually experience on the matter .
My biggest worry is , the fact that i will be taking this out of the country (to an island , yes i must be crazy) , so i dont know how warranty would work in a case like that .
If parts are available , to me , i think anything can be fixed , but if they wont sell you the parts , that could be a little bit of an issue .

It could be an issue but with Tesla they will make a way for you!:D

I don't believe you will have any warranty coverage in Curaçao (beautiful island, BTW - we visited many years ago).

Tesla will sell some parts, but not all, and anything that requires a software update to replace won't be something you will be able to DIY. Tesla does provide the shop manual to residents of one state, so you might try to get a hold of that.

Older Teslas may have more issues than newer ones. Drive units were problematic on the older cars, so if I was buying for your case, I might verify the unit(s) had been replaced with a newer revision (which are more reliable)

IMG_0877.JPG
Agree with Az_Rael. Was there in March. Although hated the jewelry shops. Wife spent a fortune!