Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, Alarm keeps going off because my car thinks door is "open"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my car back from the Service Center and they replaced the perfectly operating Gen-1 door latch with a Gen-2 latch and now my passenger front door is constantly registering as open even when it is closed. I can't drive the car because the open door alarm is constantly on when in Drive, but the big issue now is can't power down the car or lock it because the door is perceived as open.

But the BIG, BIG ISSUE is that the car alarm keeps going off presumably because the door is "open"???

Is there any way to disable the car so I can go to sleep without having to click my fob every 15 minutes to turn off the car alarm?

Here is what I have tried:
1. Resetting main screen. Both with the door open and closed
2. Reseting the dash screen. Both with the door open and closed.
3. Opening and closing the door automatically and manually, with the window closed and with the window open.
4. Opening and closing the door slowly after resets and firmly after resets.
5. I tried locking the car with the key fob and with the Tesla app… neither worked. Message was “can’t lock car because one or more doors is open"

• Disagree
Reactions: rjdoc74
We have had this problen on and off for a year now. It always comes after a software upgrade, stays there for a month or to until next upgrade, then the problems is gone for a while until the next upgrade reintroduces this problem...
At the moment we have the car alarm disabled...

Within 12 hours, Tesla had a service ranger at our door. In 15 minutes he replaced the door latch and our problem was solved. He also took the time to explain how several features worked "under the hood" and was generally knowledgable and friendly. Fantastic service!! Keep up the good work Tesla!

Today I got the same problem. The door open alarm lasted half hour untill I arrived home. Along with the door open alarm, my back door windows continue to up and down. It's weird!
I think your car is posessed by a demon. You can pray to St. Elon for help. It's also good to kill a chicken and drain the blood on the hood.
If all else fails, call the service center.

Ok, so for anyone having this type of issue, I found a bit of a work around. At least to stop the car alarm from going off. In my particular case, the car thought the trunk was open. The alarm would trigger every so often. Even if you turned off the car alarm in the security settings it re-enables after a while. While the car is unlocked. Pop the frunk. Don't open, then lock the car. The secondary latch won't release so no one can get in but the car alarm won't re-arm. That keeps things quiet until you can get the faulty latch repaired. NOTE: Because the car thinks a door/trunk is open, precondition on the app is not available (most remote functions too) nor is AP when driving. Hope this helps!

So I just got my car back from the Service Center and they replaced the perfectly operating Gen-1 door latch with a Gen-2 latch and now my passenger front door is constantly registering as open even when it is closed. I can't drive the car because the open door alarm is constantly on when in Drive, but the big issue now is can't power down the car or lock it because the door is perceived as open.

But the BIG, BIG ISSUE is that the car alarm keeps going off presumably because the door is "open"???

Is there any way to disable the car so I can go to sleep without having to click my fob every 15 minutes to turn off the car alarm?

Here is what I have tried:
1. Resetting main screen. Both with the door open and closed
2. Reseting the dash screen. Both with the door open and closed.
3. Opening and closing the door automatically and manually, with the window closed and with the window open.
4. Opening and closing the door slowly after resets and firmly after resets.
5. I tried locking the car with the key fob and with the Tesla app… neither worked. Message was “can’t lock car because one or more doors is open"

Reactions: BBone