Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Car won't reboot and the A/C is stuck on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got into the car this morning and the car's parking brake appear to be stuck on, so it look like I just needed a reboot so I rebooted. Afterwards the car screen never turned back on oh, I tried resetting it with both wheels and the brake six times nothing changed. I had to go to work so I drove black out comms, knowing it would come back on later. After coming back home I tried rebooting it again and over and over again nothing. My concern is that the AC is still on and I cannot charge the car to ensure it doesn't die. My service center never picks up the phone, so that is a bust. The app let me make a service appointment (but won't let me take the A/C off) but that is for the 9th, which is eight days away. The car will surely die by then. Any ideas on what I can do. The car is only 90 days old and I have had so much issues with it. At this point work the lack of customer service at the Honolulu service center and alllllll of the issues I have had, it makes me seriously miss my F150

• Love
Reactions: atnbirdie
Sorry you are experiencing issues. Can you reach the main Customer Service # by phone in Hawaii? I'd say it's worth sitting on hold to to reach a tech person and see if they can diagnosis the problem from their end and tell you how to a get your system back up etc. That or I would just drive to your SC and show up. I saw these two numbers on Tesla's site for Hawaii: Service: (808) 680-9260; Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752

Best bet is the app or chat tomorrow. Today is Labor day so almost NO chance of getting someone on the phone. I would put in a service request in the app and likely service will call you in the morning. Can you plug into a 120V outlet for tonight?

OK, I hesitate to post this, because I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your car, but... You seem to really be in a tight spot here. At your own risk, you can try this: Model 3 Hard Reset

Huge caveat: Tesla has said that there is an error in that procedure, and that it has the potential of causing damage to your car! However, other users have successfully accomplished that procedure and posted good results here and on other forums.

It's up to you whether or not you want to take the risk. If I were in your shoes, especially with Tesla being completely unresponsive, I'd take the risk. But that's just me. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: zannman
Sorry you are experiencing issues. Can you reach the main Customer Service # by phone in Hawaii? I'd say it's worth sitting on hold to to reach a tech person and see if they can diagnosis the problem from their end and tell you how to a get your system back up etc. That or I would just drive to your SC and show up. I saw these two numbers on Tesla's site for Hawaii: Service: (808) 680-9260; Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752
I wish I could sit on hold. It hangs up on you also when I call it says that the SC is closed for Labor Day. I have never known a car place to be closed on labor day. I just tried it again after 1.5 hour and still nothing.

Best bet is the app or chat tomorrow. Today is Labor day so almost NO chance of getting someone on the phone. I would put in a service request in the app and likely service will call you in the morning. Can you plug into a 120V outlet for tonight?
I tried plugging it in and it won't go green. It remains on blue. I tried the app and it says I have a connection error for both the charging port and to turn off the A/C. It's like a perfect storm. My fear is I won't know how much juice I have to even get to the SC tomorrow.

OK, I hesitate to post this, because I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your car, but... You seem to really be in a tight spot here. At your own risk, you can try this: Model 3 Hard Reset

Huge caveat: Tesla has said that there is an error in that procedure, and that it has the potential of causing damage to your car! However, other users have successfully accomplished that procedure and posted good results here and on other forums.

It's up to you whether or not you want to take the risk. If I were in your shoes, especially with Tesla being completely unresponsive, I'd take the risk. But that's just me. ;)
Do you know what issues other folks had with performing this function? My fear is I "brick" it. My second fear is the A/C takes all the juice I have left and I can't even make it to the SC tomorrow. Decisions.

If the service center is actually closed there is nothing you can do.

Drive there tomorrow. For actual vehicle emergency repairs you do not need an appointment. Yours definitely qualifies.

Running the AC overnight shouldn't kill the battery. I am also curious if the 20% limit still applies and it turns off.

Do you have the ability to turn the AC off in your phone?

Your worst case scenario is a flatbed tow to the SC.

If the service center is actually closed there is nothing you can do.

Drive there tomorrow. For actual vehicle emergency repairs you do not need an appointment. Yours definitely qualifies.

Running the AC overnight shouldn't kill the battery. I am also curious if the 20% limit still applies and it turns off.

Do you have the ability to turn the AC off in your phone?
I wish. The app gives me a connection error and won't allow me to turn it off. I pray you are right and I only lose about 20% tonight. The issue is there is no where for me to see an update on juice. The app isnt updating due to a connection error and the screen is black.

Do you know what issues other folks had with performing this function? My fear is I "brick" it. My second fear is the A/C takes all the juice I have left and I can't even make it to the SC tomorrow. Decisions.

I don't. : /

The only posts I've read are the ones where people have been successful with it.

Having read through the entire procedure, and IMO, I don't see a problem with it. I'd do it, but again, that's just me. And I don't want you to do it, then come back here and curse me in multiple tongues. ;)

If the AC is truly on full blast, yeah... the chances are pretty darn good that the battery is going to be completely discharged by tomorrow.

Have you checked your 12 volt battery? Definitely worth checking. Having a dead 12 volt battery can cause a lot of problems.

Edit: the 12 volt battery is in your frunk, btw. You take the plastic cover off (the plastic cover that's closest to your windshield) to access it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCR1
I don't. : /

The only posts I've read are the ones where people have been successful with it.

Having read through the entire procedure, and IMO, I don't see a problem with it. I'd do it, but again, that's just me. And I don't want you to do it, then come back here and curse me in multiple tongues. ;)

The only other thing I've seen about that procedure in another thread is to make sure and wait at least 5 minutes after disconnecting connector under back seat to reconnect. I'd say the risk of doing nothing might be greater - with at least some potential of draining the traction pack to an undervoltage condition.

Reactions: Phlier
with at least some potential of draining the traction pack to an undervoltage condition.
Yeah, that's the part that scares me. If the battery management system isn't working correctly (and at this point, who *knows* what on the car is working correctly), running the main battery pack down below minimum voltage is a legitimate and serious concern.

I got into the car this morning and the car's parking brake appear to be stuck on, so it look like I just needed a reboot so I rebooted. Afterwards the car screen never turned back on oh, I tried resetting it with both wheels and the brake six times nothing changed. I had to go to work so I drove black out comms, knowing it would come back on later. After coming back home I tried rebooting it again and over and over again nothing. My concern is that the AC is still on and I cannot charge the car to ensure it doesn't die. My service center never picks up the phone, so that is a bust. The app let me make a service appointment (but won't let me take the A/C off) but that is for the 9th, which is eight days away. The car will surely die by then. Any ideas on what I can do. The car is only 90 days old and I have had so much issues with it. At this point work the lack of customer service at the Honolulu service center and alllllll of the issues I have had, it makes me seriously miss my F150

Yeah man, feel your pain. Best advice would be to drive the car to the service center and leave it. I had an issue where my car stopped charging (Power Conversion System crapped out) with about 60 miles left on it and the app tried to schedule me like 12 days out. I drove right to the service center and told them they are out of their mind if they think I'm waiting 12 days to fix a car with only 60 miles left. Service via an app is great for things like leaks squeaks and rattles, but not for real issues.

The service center experience was good once I got there, but the app and the fact that you cant talk to a real person is 100% BS.

Yeah, that's the part that scares me. If the battery management system isn't working correctly (and at this point, who *knows* what on the car is working correctly), running the main battery pack down below minimum voltage is a legitimate and serious concern.

It sounds like his MCU is down (aka all screen control). BMS is a separate piece for this very reason.

If the AC is truly on full blast, yeah... the chances are pretty darn good that the battery is going to be completely discharged by tomorrow.

Have you checked your 12 volt battery? Definitely worth checking. Having a dead 12 volt battery can cause a lot of problems.

Edit: the 12 volt battery is in your frunk, btw. You take the plastic cover off (the plastic cover that's closest to your windshield) to access it.

AC is not ran by 12V. There is no danger of the AC unit fully draining the 12V supply in a way that would kill it.

I wish. The app gives me a connection error and won't allow me to turn it off. I pray you are right and I only lose about 20% tonight. The issue is there is no where for me to see an update on juice. The app isnt updating due to a connection error and the screen is black.

what i meant is that the car automatically turns off sentry, overheat, run AC, etc if you go below 20%. I believe the only case it does not is dog mode.

I find it extremely unlikely that this would damage the car in any way. Worst case scenario you would need to get towed (which would suck).

As a new car this is on Tesla for warranty. Sorry your experience has been poor. I would try not to freak out about it + make plans that you won't have your car tomorrow (and possibly for a few days). It's unfortunate it occured on a holiday but Tesla will make it right.