Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Car won't reboot and the A/C is stuck on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I know, but having a dead 12 volt can still cause strange stuff to happen. The AC has to run off of the main battery, of course, but is the AC controller run off of the main pack, too?

If it is only the controller running no way it drains the 12V in a day.

Normal cars run the compressor off the 12V through the alternator. The actual compressor draws a few orders of magnitude more power than the controller

Yeah man, feel your pain. Best advice would be to drive the car to the service center and leave it. I had an issue where my car stopped charging (Power Conversion System crapped out) with about 60 miles left on it and the app tried to schedule me like 12 days out. I drove right to the service center and told them they are out of their mind if they think I'm waiting 12 days to fix a car with only 60 miles left. Service via an app is great for things like leaks squeaks and rattles, but not for real issues.

The service center experience was good once I got there, but the app and the fact that you cant talk to a real person is 100% BS.

I was thinking the same if you can’t get a response by phone especially if you can have someone follow you and take you back. Otherwise if the car is dead tomorrow you’ll have the time delay getting it to them by flatbed.

ICE cars have problems too from my experience the Service Center portion of the dealership wasn’t open on Sunday’s or holidays. Of course Sales would be...;)

If it is only the controller running no way it drains the 12V in a day.

Normal cars run the compressor off the 12V through the alternator. The actual compressor draws a few orders of magnitude more power than the controller
Almost all ICE car's run the compressor off the engine (usually from the accessory belt) and not off the electrical system.

Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike
I was thinking the same if you can’t get a response by phone especially if you can have someone follow you and take you back. Otherwise if the car is dead tomorrow you’ll have the time delay getting it to them by flatbed.

ICE cars have problems too from my experience the Service Center portion of the dealership wasn’t open on Sunday’s or holidays. Of course Sales would be...;)
I wish I listened to you all yesterday to just leave it at the dealer and call in the morning. As you all said,it's completely dead. Can't even get in if dead. Wow. What an experience. I am on the line with Tesla now.

I wish I listened to you all yesterday to just leave it at the dealer and call in the morning. As you all said,it's completely dead. Can't even get in if dead. Wow. What an experience. I am on the line with Tesla now.

Sorry to hear that. I guess now your car qualifies for Emergency Roadside Assistance (dead or disabled). Hope the flatbed reaches you soon. Let us know how you make out. Not something I've heard happening but maybe once or twice on here and sorry you were caught up in whatever went bad.

The local Audi dealership is completely closed on Sundays. Apparently the owner has some religious beliefs that has him shut down the entire dealership, including sales, on Sundays. My Wife has a TT and had a major problem on a Sunday and there was nothing we could do. Audi roadside assistance towed the car to the dealer and just left it in their parking lot, but we couldn't even tell them it was there until Monday morning. Turned out to be a MAJOR issue that resulted in them completely replacing the engine with 45,000 miles on it.

Sorry you have to go through all this. Really inconvenient. Please keep updating the thread so we all can find out what happened.
Sure thing. My wait time is 150 min for the tow truck after waiting 35 min for the central center to pick up. Interesting that no one from Hawaii answered that call. Worse part was she couldn't even remote into the car to wake it up. I fear the 12V is dead. I will be bored out of my mind at the SC waiting so I will update you all with the outcome, as i am going to take a ride with the tow truck. Hopefully they give me a loaner so I can get to work tomorrow as today is a definite bust.

Sorry to hear that. I guess now your car qualifies for Emergency Roadside Assistance (dead or disabled). Hope the flatbed reaches you soon. Let us know how you make out. Not something I've heard happening but maybe once or twice on here and sorry you were caught up in whatever went bad.
Thank you for the sentiment. The tow truck is on its way. 150 min wait time, isn't too bad ... It's the fact that the central center couldn't even remote into it. The doors won't open or anything. I will keep you all updated.

The local Audi dealership is completely closed on Sundays. Apparently the owner has some religious beliefs that has him shut down the entire dealership, including sales, on Sundays. My Wife has a TT and had a major problem on a Sunday and there was nothing we could do. Audi roadside assistance towed the car to the dealer and just left it in their parking lot, but we couldn't even tell them it was there until Monday morning. Turned out to be a MAJOR issue that resulted in them completely replacing the engine with 45,000 miles on it.
Wow!!!!!!! I am curious to see my issue now that the doors won't even open.

@Nicky5452 Now that the car is *completely* dead, I have a (safe) suggestion for you.

1. Take off the cover over the 12 volt battery. Connect an appropriate battery charger to it. Charge it all the way up.

2. After the 12 volt battery is charged, connect whatever flavor of Tesla charger you have to the car.

Since both batteries are pretty much dead, this is doing the same thing as the reset procedure we linked you to yesterday.

Even if the above steps get your car up and running, I'd still take it to the Tesla SC, explain what happened, and have them run a diagnostic on the car.

If I were a betting man (but I'm not ;) ) I'd be willing to bet that the charger that keeps your 12 volt battery charged has gone out.

Please let us know how it all goes, and what was wrong with the car? It really helps a lot to have as many data points as possible regarding potential problem areas with the car, so we can help out fellow owners and supply this data to Tesla, too.

Aloha! (I'm so jealous of where you live, btw. :) )

• Helpful
Reactions: Nicky5452
I will keep you posted. The towtruck guy is actually doing exactly what you said. This is my current situation. Will let you all know what's next when I get to the SC. Hawaii is awesome visit and awful to live. Not always the best customer service. Hopefully today is better.  1567549295543137702248005235752.jpg

Attachments

• 15675491657622110086842642830279.jpg
    15675491657622110086842642830279.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Phlier