Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help diagnosing a rattle sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone.

I have a Model 3 delivered in July 2018.

20k miles on it already and things have been great.

However, ever since the beginning, we have had this rattle noise coming from the driver side dash.

I would describe the sound like a faulty ball bearing that is spinning. The sound happens on certain highway pavements that are rough but not bumpy. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor. It is as if the roughness of the road causing something to resonate a certain frequency that causes the noise. My drive is 1 hour each day and it is starting to get annoying. We have mentioned this to the service center, The tech even went on a ride along and confirmed that he hears it too. They took apart the A pillar and the steering rack and didn't notice anything. The sound is still present. I can't get a recording of the sound as the mic will mainly pick up road noise over the rattle sound.

Anyone have any ideas that would help me and our service center?

Thank you

I just took delivery on a Standard Plus, and I hear the exact same rattle coming from the driver side dash! Its not loud enough to distraction, but clearly audible at all speeds when the stereo is off. I'm taking into the service center for this and another issue, and will post if they know/find anything useful.

I have a clicking sound in the front dash that seems to occur only for a few minutes when the AC is just turning on upon getting in. Afterwards it goes away each time. Maybe due to materials expanding or contracting?

I also have a dash rattle that I've noticed is only audible once the car has been sitting outside and the dash has gotten warm. I suspect the heat is loosening something up. It's in the area above the steering column and above the vents below the "platform" like dash, not the wood overlay part. If I give a smack I can hear something in there slightly rattling.

I have the same issue. Could you please let me know if you were able to get the service center to fix it for you? I narrow it to steering wheel area/a pillar area.

Its intermittent for me so tesla mobile service was not able to replicate the issue with me during a test drive.

I do have a video of it here

Not sure if this will help you, but I’m throwing it out there...I had a similar issue and I thought it was coming from the dash..Turns out it was the driver side visor..The airbag warning sticker gets “tacky” in the heat and would stick to the upholstery and make an anyone sound. I resolved it by placing a clear rubber bumper behind the visor...