Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help from S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've waited long enough and think I want an S even though its probably ready for a refresh. I'd prefer an X but wife doesn't like it much. My 2017 S550 is coming of lease and the dealer calls me because I'm eligible for the 5 payment pull ahead--i actually only have 4 left. It was very tempting to trade up to the new s560 with the new 4.0 liter TT engine. I was nearly ready to sink it when it starting getting late and I needed to do some Thanksgiving prep. I thought about this all night a fairly well equipped s560 for roughly 10k in inception for the privilege of 2243 / mo with tax.

Then tesla emailed me about the expiring tax credits and cars ordered over the next few days would be eligible. I configured a white performance model with self driving and the lease was about 1300 bucks / month. I was like WTF? How could that be. Is it still worth getting one? It's a lease so if a new one comes out or prices go down I won't get hit with the depreciation associated with these events.

What say you Teslarati? Get a cool electric car for 900 bucks / mo in my pocket or just keep waiting?

I did order the cyber truck. I think I'm the one guy who liked it
be careful....tax credits only good if you take possession before 31 Dec 19......the car does have lifetime free supercharging though......

Reactions: Zer0t
A year and a half ago, the lease on my SL550 (mille miglia special edition) was up, I had some cash and was seriously considering a brand new AMG® CLS 63 S. I test drove one and loved it... before buying I thought, just for kicks I would test drive a Model S P100DL. I bought an inventory model immediately after the test drive and have never regretted it.

Just be prepared for a couple of downsides:
1) The perceived level of "luxury" is considerably less on the Tesla compared to a Merc.
2) Tesla is a crap company for customer service, totally crap. I'd give Tesla a 1 out of 10 while Mercedes gets an 8 or 9.

Many more upsides than downsides though. I could never go back to an ICE car.

Reactions: cucubits and Zer0t
A year and a half ago, the lease on my SL550 (mille miglia special edition) was up, I had some cash and was seriously considering a brand new AMG® CLS 63 S. I test drove one and loved it... before buying I thought, just for kicks I would test drive a Model S P100DL. I bought an inventory model immediately after the test drive and have never regretted it.

Just be prepared for a couple of downsides:
1) The perceived level of "luxury" is considerably less on the Tesla compared to a Merc.
2) Tesla is a crap company for customer service, totally crap. I'd give Tesla a 1 out of 10 while Mercedes gets an 8 or 9.

Many more upsides than downsides though. I could never go back to an ICE car.

Yeah I've read the stories. I had a 2012 CLS63 P30 (S before there was S) it was the first AMG car to move from the NA 6.2 to the 4.4 liter TT zns now of course we have the 4.0TT. I have a C63S cab that's a rocket but obviously a lot slower than the ludicrous speed of even a normal tesla.

I don’t think you get federal tax credit if you lease. I did lease - am actually on my second. As for price, my S 100 D had a Purchase price of $107k and the lease amount is $1381/mo. To me, lease was the way to go. I’m in year 3 and will be looking at what’s next sometime in the next 6 months. Also, unless it’s changed, Tesla doesn’t offer any incentives as you approach the end of your lease, nor does it ignore any mileage overage. I will be over, but have no regrets, as I enjoy driving it every day.

I’m in the unique position to compare Mercedes and Tesla without bringing ICE vs. EV into the equation. Before I got my Model S, I drove an electric Mercedes for 5 years. There is no doubt that the overall level of luxury and the quality of the materials and fit and finish are superior with Mercedes. The customer service comparison between Mercedes and Tesla is day and night, respectively. Still, the driving experience with the Tesla is so far superior as to more than compensate. Tesla’s technology advantage, for those who care about that sort of thing, is light years ahead of Mbrace and other Mercedes technology features. The relative simplicity of the Tesla and its elegant design are a form of luxury in itself. Most importantly, driving a Tesla is permanently exhilarating and feels like the future, whereas even a perky electric Mercedes feels like something really nice that settles eventually into ordinary, unexceptional, comfortable. You’re obviously asking a very biased group to compare Model S vs S560, but man, that is just a no-brainer of a decision...

I just asked my friend how much his lease payments are for his Long Range, its $1750 with excellent credit. this is what i mean.
That's kind of high...

I got my 2019 MS Performance for $1,560/mo with only the $2,500 order deposit (literally a day before it changed to the $100).
Original sticker was $105,190, discounted down to $97,340 due to it being a tester with 1,650 miles on it.
36 months, 12k miles/yr, no FSD (Live in LA - no way I'd be able to use NOA anywhere in the city, nor on the streets), 19" Slipstreams, Cream Interior.

I will say, it was a bit frustrating not knowing what the final monthly was going to be until very late into the process. Tesla leasing contacted me about a week later saying that their calculations were actually incorrect and brought the monthly down from $1,669 to $1,560. No complaints there...

I've had a mix of sports cars (C6, C7 Corvette, Merc C300 coupe, Lexus RC350) and a Wrangler and after 8 days of driving the MS, I can pretty confidently say that I'd never go back to an ICE vehicle. Wishing that I had purchased instead now that I'm so satisfied with it, but at least that'll give me the option in 3 years to either go CT or get another, hopefully updated by that point, Model S. I can see why once you go Tesla, it's rare to go back and why the brand loyalty is so strong.

Reactions: SmartElectric
No rebate for lease but its $1875.00 so not critical factor. However if I register at my house in NJ there's no sales tax, a 10% toll discount and HOV access. Not bad at all. Now I'll probably wait a month so my lease is within 2 months of expiring.

I had to modify my CT order because I didn't click 3 motor. I know it's a couple years away but I hope it didn't bump me back in the order queue.

Last edited:
I have to say what a different experience than the traditional dealership purchase. I went to the showroom in Chelsea and did everything through my account web page including the lease application. It really took about 15 minutes after finally figuring out color and LR v Perf. I have to say it was quite pleasant. I pick it up on Dec 5th.

now the wait begins for my Cybertruck. It’s going to be awesome at the tailgates at MetLife stadium.

I have to say what a different experience than the traditional dealership purchase. I went to the showroom in Chelsea and did everything through my account web page including the lease application. It really took about 15 minutes after finally figuring out color and LR v Perf. I have to say it was quite pleasant. I pick it up on Dec 5th.

now the wait begins for my Cybertruck. It’s going to be awesome at the tailgates at MetLife stadium.
if you ordered today, how do you know the delivery date....you have a vin number yet

Ok picked it up a couple of hours ago. I looked it over very carefully given Tesla’s reputation wrt fit and finish and this one looks very good. Panel gaps, paint, wheels, roof glass fitament (I’ve seen people complain of excessive glue), interior and it all looks fine. It certainly is as opulent as the s550 but that wasn’t my expectation. The car was also nearly 30,000 less.

It is just an absolute joy to drive so far. I want to put down enough miles to have to charge for the first time. But, first impressions no regrets thus far.

I really like the color combo with the dark carbon wheels with the white exterior and interior.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Ok did 72 miles and stopped to speak to someone. I got back in out the car in reverse and everything went blank and the car just rolled down a slight grade. It then kind of rebooted and all the driver aids were disabled like traction control, lane warnings, cruise, autopilot.

it said they may function in the next ride. I just stopped for a cheeseburger (I eat a lot) and we’ll see what happens after that.

Ok did 72 miles and stopped to speak to someone. I got back in out the car in reverse and everything went blank and the car just rolled down a slight grade. It then kind of rebooted and all the driver aids were disabled like traction control, lane warnings, cruise, autopilot.

it said they may function in the next ride. I just stopped for a cheeseburger (I eat a lot) and we’ll see what happens after that.
Having you ever seen gremlins? You obviously broke the rule of feeding them so it's not a big shock they showed up after your cheeseburger.........anyways did you do a reboot after this incident?

@heinzcatsoup we'll find out. This is with 10k up front perhaps he / she didn't do that? The cap cost is worth about nearly 300 / month.
Personally I wouldn't lease a Tesla. IMHO I think a major benefit is being able to put so many miles on the car and not have to worry or pay for service like ICE cars. For example, I took delivery around August 28th, and I currently have over 10k miles on my Raven. I had equity in my last car so it only cost me 2k for a payment that's $945/month. Trade gave me 10k.

For the rest of the discussion, I would most likely never buy another ICE car (like 99% no). That said, Tesla really should work on luxury inside the cabin. The seats are good for me, the glass roof is fine (I never used a sunroof), but I do think that their German counterparts feel better inside (interior lighting, sound deadening, solid feel).

Correcting someone above, at 80k, I wouldn't compare it to the A8, S560, or 7 series unless you have the performance. The Mercedes starts in the mid 90k range, without a single option.