Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Installing a Tesla HPWC 40 amp version (NEMA 14-50)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
prove me wrong! lol

I’m with you. If this was legit Tesla would be selling it not an Ebayer. Someone buy up Gen 1’s and rewire them with the 14-50 plug? Bare wires from the 14-50 plug extension? Not to mention the untrimmed insulation? How can you have the ability to dial up past the 40amp setting on a charger with a 14-50 stove plug extension attached? IMO Somethings not right here.

Reactions: coconutboy84
I’m with you. If this was legit Tesla would be selling it not an Ebayer. Someone buy up Gen 1’s and rewire them with the 14-50 plug? Bare wires from the 14-50 plug extension? Not to mention the untrimmed insulation? How can you have the ability to dial up past the 40amp setting on a charger with a 14-50 stove plug extension attached? IMO Somethings not right here.
They aren't Gen 1. The dates of manufacture are within the past couple months. The circuit boards of both WCs have the same manufacturing date.

If they were fake, Tesla would be able to stop the eBay sales instantly. It's possible it is a cancelled product that Tesla decided not to launch and they are liquidating them such as Woot, Overstock, etc. do with some cancelled products. It could also just be a new product that hasn't been officially released yet. Since the build dates on the interior components are all so new, I don't think it is a cancelled product.

Last edited:

The standard HPWC can dial up to 80A regardless of the wiring to it. It's the job of the branch circuit breaker to protect wiring/ sockets&plugs. (Default is 12A inclase it is wired to standard house circuit)

The wire type looks the same for the in and out cable, that makes me think it is from the manufacturer. Otherwise, they would use a more purpose oriented cable (2 phase and ground). Agree termination could be prettier, but current set up is not a hazard (need to see plug end though).

It's legitimate.... just not apparently out publicly by Tesla yet.
I purchased on Ebay and the only thing strange was one of those small packaging invoice in plastic attached to the shipping box. It was directly from Tesla and looked like it was shipped to Tesla in Hawthorne, Ca. to the Attn. of what must have been an employee?? I wonder if they (employees) were offered some at extreme discount or they have glut of them and trying to introduce new product??

They aren't Gen 1. The dates of manufacture are within the past couple months. The circuit boards of both WCs have the same manufacturing date.

If they were fake, Tesla would be able to stop the eBay sales instantly. It's possible it is a cancelled product that Tesla decided not to launch and they are liquidating them such as Woot, Overstock, etc. do with some cancelled products. It could also just be a new product that hasn't been officially released yet. Since the build dates on the interior components are all so new, I don't think it is a cancelled product.

Yea, I'm thinking since the build dates are so recent that it is an upcoming product they are going to launch in the near future. And somehow some of these got mixed in with the 80amp versions when they were shipped to the distributor in Canada.

I don't understand why its so hard for people to believe they could actually be a real Tesla product (either they will be or they were). lol

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'd say the demand is enough that I would think Tesla would start selling them in the near future. Many people, like myself, don't want to hard wire it and being able to plug it in is a great option.
Yep - agree. In fact I've already got the 14-50 installed and was going to buy a second portable so I could always leave one in the car and not worry about it. I'd skip the portable set and purchase this one in a heart beat - plug it in to the same place.

Reactions: oldtrip
Yep - agree. In fact I've already got the 14-50 installed and was going to buy a second portable so I could always leave one in the car and not worry about it. I'd skip the portable set and purchase this one in a heart beat - plug it in to the same place.
That’s exactly what I did. I wanted to have a charger in my car so this was a great option.

Yea, I'm thinking since the build dates are so recent that it is an upcoming product they are going to launch in the near future. And somehow some of these got mixed in with the 80amp versions when they were shipped to the distributor in Canada.

I don't understand why its so hard for people to believe they could actually be a real Tesla product (either they will be or they were). lol

It does looks legit. But given that Tesla already sells the corded mobile connector that has the exact same functionality, I can't figure out what the purpose of a 40A corded wall connector would be. It just takes up a lot more space.

It does looks legit. But given that Tesla already sells the corded mobile connector that has the exact same functionality, I can't figure out what the purpose of a 40A corded wall connector would be. It just takes up a lot more space.

Could be since the new gen UMC only supports 32A, they would offer this as a way to still get 40A from a NEMA 14-50. Since it is not a portable unit (well not designed to be portable anyways) you don't run the risk of tripping the circuit since generally it will be in a fixed location and you will generally know if the circuit actually has a 50A breaker not.

Could also be good for renters who want something nicer than a UMC but need to move it from location to location.

Pricing would have to be right though.

Could be since the new gen UMC only supports 32A, they would offer this as a way to still get 40A from a NEMA 14-50. Since it is not a portable unit (well not designed to be portable anyways) you don't run the risk of tripping the circuit since generally it will be in a fixed location and you will generally know if the circuit actually has a 50A breaker not.

Could also be good for renters who want something nicer than a UMC but need to move it from location to location.

Pricing would have to be right though.
$500 for HPWC
$30 for cable
$40 for plug
$570 pre shipping/tax
(Not a recommendation on parts/ assembly)

Compared to
$520 for 14-50 mobile connector
$300 for second gen 32A connector

@ghoticov et al. There is a thread on this already, although in a longer Model S thread so not obvious. Start reading here to see how it unfolded. Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) with post by @SK29. It also covers the answer to your question on error lights.

@coconutboy84 I noticed you hail from Ontario which happens to be one main source of the cheap HPWC units on eBay (both corded and hardwired). I’m convinced the corded 40A units are Tesla products and you can see more details in the thread I quoted and the great video by @MorrisonHiker. The corded unit is hardwired with smaller gauge wire so is much lighter than the 80A version. Do you get some massive EV infrastructure rebates on these chargers in Ontario? I also bought a new 80A Gen2 HPWC from eBay seller in Ontario for $320 to set up a multicharger system. That was drop-shipped directly to me from Tesla in Fremont. So this was not some inventory dump in Canada but I am guessing some incentives or other connection there is making it profitable to buy this equipment new there and have it drop shipped directly to customers in US. For me, great deal on new factory sealed HPWC directly from Tesla, as if I had ordered it myself from their online shop, only $200 cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG and ghoticov