Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!!!! LEMR VS LRM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3LR is only 1/2 second quicker to 60. But still worth it!

Yup, I stand corrected. Still would go for LR anyway for faster home charging and better parts. I read somewhere the MR has cheaper components - its not just an LR with some cell capacity removed.

Makes sense for MR to serve as a test platform for when the SR rolls around.

upload_2018-11-28_10-10-35.png

Yup, I stand corrected. Still would go for LR anyway for faster home charging and better parts. I read somewhere the MR has cheaper components - its not just an LR with some cell capacity removed.

Makes sense for MR to serve as a test platform for when the SR rolls around.

View attachment 356135

Last I saw it looked like the charging speed on the MR was rate limited and probably had the same physical parts as the LR. I'm not aware of any other parts differences.

I'm currently in the same situation. My gallery adviser found me LR with same specs at my current MR order. As I am reading all the recommendations, I am leaning more towards LR however for me it will be a 4K price increase since I got the MR when it was $45K...

Should I still pull the trigger? or throw away the $1K savings for the MR... This is tough.

Last I saw it looked like the charging speed on the MR was rate limited and probably had the same physical parts as the LR. I'm not aware of any other parts differences.

IGBT vs Mosfet transistors.

Don't need Mosfet when you are never going to push the same amount of voltage for AWD/P applications.

Source: Tesla Parts Catalog for Model 3.

upload_2018-11-28_12-22-55.png

I'm currently in the same situation. My gallery adviser found me LR with same specs at my current MR order. As I am reading all the recommendations, I am leaning more towards LR however for me it will be a 4K price increase since I got the MR when it was $45K...

Should I still pull the trigger? or throw away the $1K savings for the MR... This is tough.

The most simple answer I think to "spend more?" comes down to holding period.

If you cycle cars fast, you are better off spending less. If you hold for awhile, the LR benefits pay off easily.

A 3LR charged at 80% is about the same range as a 3MR charged at 100%.

As @gilscales mentioned, real range will be lower. That 20% buffer will help when needed.

Battery will hold up better on the 3LR because the SOC for everyday usage will be lower.

1K compared to total ownership cost is peanuts. Esp since you are "all-in" with EAP as well.

If I were to get the 3MR..I'd do

3MR, Black, no EAP as a short range commuter.

Last edited:

Real world range can be considerably lower than rated range, while I have seen local city driving in ideal temps (70's) at 190 to 200 kWh/mi when you are on a road trip traveling at high speeds (75 to 80) you can and will see 300 plus kWh/mi at times and I have just learned that even temps in the 40's will reduced range by 10% or more, factor in degradation over time and the fact that you are in TX with some frwy speed limits at 80 mph and I still think for 4K more you would be much happier in the long run with the larger battery.

Reactions: MXWing
I got my MR on Monday. Love the car. My use case is primarily commuting (30 mi each day). My wife has an SUV we will use for trips. I was holding out for the $35k with a few upgrades and ended up spending $57,500 for Pearl White, BW interior, and EAP. My last car was a Cmax which was a PHEV. I thought about going to an LR, but I had to say no to any additional upgrades that I really didn’t need for my use case.

Ah...I'm going to buck the crowd here and say get the LEMR unless you're using the car for work, frequent long trips, or can only charge sporadically. Let's be honest, the average person drives less than 30 miles a day. Let's round that up to 100 assuming your wife drives it daily and then you joyride at night :) For day to day driving you're getting nothing extra out of a bigger battery.

For road trips, you're in Winter Haven. Let's say you're going to New Orleans...look at abetterrouteplanner. You'll save about a half-hour of charge time during that ride. Those LEMR numbers are in beta, so let's call it an hour.

So you're not saving a ton of time on most road trips, you're not saving time day to day, you do get faster acceleration, and your resale will be higher by a factor of $3k minus depreciation. If you're financing the vehicle you're paying interest on the $3K during life of the loan as well.

Me? I'd rather have the $3K in my pocket, get the car tinted, the paint protected, some accessories, and take a European vacation with the extra dough.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Ok so I am getting my first model 3 is it worth paying 3k more for a long range model 3 over the mid range? My representative found a long range rwd that’s the same exact model I am getting on my LEMR. I have been waiting to see if anyone post a review of the LEMR but really can’t find anything.

Getting 50 extra miles of range for $3K is not a bad deal, if you need them. However, the same amount of money could buy you:
  • The FSD option with a new on-board computer
  • Years of home charging
  • Car wrap/paint protection
  • A lot of upgrades for your car, including a dash-cam
  • A Caribbean cruise or a weekend trip to Europe :)
Only you can decide on your budget and your priorities. Good luck!

Great valid points everyone... Appreciate everyone's input. I guess at the end of the day, it depends on the individuals needs. Our commute is less than 20 miles each way however on the weekend living in Dallas Fort Worth area, we tend to drive more since DFW area is spread apart.

At the moment, we do not have a need for 2 cars however I am planning on keeping a second ICE car (small sedan) in case we are short in range. I am just disappointed that Tesla limited the charge rate to 32A for MR instead of 48A for LR. The faster charge rate comes in handy on weekends when I need extra range in short period of time.

To take advantage of EV savings, my wife & I will both be using the car heavily. So I hope MR miles (220 Estimate) will be enough.

Picture this:

-You charge to 80%, as recommended. This is WAAAY more than enough for your daily needs.

-Maybe you forgot to plug in your car the night before; you were carrying in a bunch of stuff and never came back, whatever. No biggie, you could commute 10 times on your 80% charge, theoretically...

-Get up, drive to work, or wherever it is that you have to drive. It's a cold day, or even a very hot summer day; 30% range loss, plus 10 miles of phantom drain. You happen to have a lunch meeting in the next town over; say it's an additional 20-mile round trip. And you gotta run a couple of errands after work. No problem, we still have plenty of range. You may be getting down into the 50% range by the time you get home, but who cares? You'll have a full tank in the morning!

-But wait! You're at the store after work and you get a call - it's your best friend, and the baby is HERE! They're at the hospital nearest them, which happens to be 50 miles away. You knew this was coming, and that's one of the reasons you bought a M3 instead of a Nissan Leaf, right? So you could drive 50 miles away without worrying about stopping to charge? But oh crap, your 3MR is currently down to 110 miles due to all the above-mentioned stuff-that-happens. And it's cold - you know you're never getting that much. There are no superchargers on the way to the hospital - well, guess we'll see you on Plugshare at midnight, desperately looking for someplace to charge for an hour (or two???) to be able to get home...

In all seriousness, I have an LR and never thought I would need that much range. I thought 220 miles would be way more than needed for the day-to-day, although a little more (260 sounded about right...) would be nice for certain day trips that we take fairly often. And I guess technically I don't need that much - but there have been about 4 or 5 "normal" days in 5 months where some stuff like the above happened, and I ended the day in my garage with 50-70 miles left. If I were driving the MR, I would have been right down to the wire, if not past it. Even if I made it, my experience with "range anxiety" would not have been pleasant. Just something to consider...

Great valid points everyone... Appreciate everyone's input. I guess at the end of the day, it depends on the individuals needs. Our commute is less than 20 miles each way however on the weekend living in Dallas Fort Worth area, we tend to drive more since DFW area is spread apart.

At the moment, we do not have a need for 2 cars however I am planning on keeping a second ICE car (small sedan) in case we are short in range. I am just disappointed that Tesla limited the charge rate to 32A for MR instead of 48A for LR. The faster charge rate comes in handy on weekends when I need extra range in short period of time.
With your concern about the 32A charger I wonder if you have a full understanding of charging. It’s just not going to be an issue except in for unusual use cases, and if that applies to you, then it’s another reason to get the long range.

1. The 32A charger is sufficient to fully charge the car overnight using the UMC plugged into a 14-50 outlet. If You’re going to have a busy day, you should charge to 100% (that’s what it’s there for) to start the day with 260 miles. The only situation when a faster charger would be needed is if you come home with a mostly depleted battery and need to go out on a long trip that same day. And there’s always a supercharger for emergencies.

2. Even with that rare use case, you would need to have a Wall Connector installed on a 60A circuit in order to take full advantage of the 48A charger. Given your cost constraints, I doubt you were planning to do this.

If you’re concerned a 32A charger isn’t adequate, then what you’re saying is you really need the long range car. But no matter how much you drive around the DFW area in a day, I find it hard to believe a 260 mile range car isn’t adequate. People need the long range for trips, not driving around a metro area for the day.

By the way, unlike what @BenR said you don’t have 30% range loss on a hot day, nor do you have 10 mile vampire drain. And you should routinely charge to 90%, not 80%, to allow for the unexpected. As a data point I did this every night for five years in my Model S 60, and 100% several times/ month, with no ill effect.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I don't envy you guys the decision. If the MR had been available when I ordered, I may have been tempted as I was looking for around 250 mile range. The LR was my choice and I am happy with it because now I don't worry about charging even on long trips, back to back trips around the home area, weather, full Superchargers (happened over Thanksgiving), looking for charging at night (happened a few times in my Leaf), or even long term wear of the battery. Even though day to day driving won't be an issue, I figure that I will never be able to upgrade my battery but I can upgrade other things about the car (wheels, tires, firmware, coatings/protection, tinting, etc.). In the end, it is a personal choice based on the money. As was said earlier - how long do you plan on owning the car? At 3 years, $3K/$4K is $1K/$1.33K per year but at 10 years (I plan on this for myself), $3K/$4K is $300/$400 per year. I say if you can afford it, go for the LR.

Picture this:

-But wait! You're at the store after work and you get a call - it's your best friend, and the baby is HERE! They're at the hospital nearest them, which happens to be 50 miles away. You knew this was coming, and that's one of the reasons you bought a M3 instead of a Nissan Leaf, right? So you could drive 50 miles away without worrying about stopping to charge? But oh crap, your 3MR is currently down to 110 miles due to all the above-mentioned stuff-that-happens. And it's cold - you know you're never getting that much. There are no superchargers on the way to the hospital - well, guess we'll see you on Plugshare at midnight, desperately looking for someplace to charge for an hour (or two???) to be able to get home...

Hmm, look at my sweaty palms. I got range anxiety just READING this. I have a short commute and live in an area surrounded by SuperChargers but would not consider a shorter range car. Telsa is the company pushing the envelope for extending the range of EVs, and it seems the only reason to go shorter is cost.

By the way, unlike what @BenR said you don’t have 30% range loss on a hot day, nor do you have 10 mile vampire drain. And you should routinely charge to 90%, not 80%, to allow for the unexpected. As a data point I did this every night for five years in my Model S 60, and 100% several times/ month, with no ill effect.

This summer when I would run the AC on a high fan speed (7-8) I was using 285 wh/mi, vs 225 at night when I could take leaving it on fan speed 2. I don't think I ever cranked it up to absolute max, which I assume would be worse. I guess you don't HAVE to do that on a 100-degree day, but it seems pretty important. And 10 miles of vampire drain with cabin overheat on (which it should be, I think, to protect the electronics) and parked in the sun is probably conservative - there were times on the hottest days where I lost 5 miles in 3 hours.

Also I started off charging to 90% as well for the first month and only charged to 100% once, and still saw 1% battery degradation within that month. Backed it down to 80% and haven't seen any more degradation. That's just one data point and I know whatever degradation you do get tends to be front-loaded, but it was enough for me to decide to keep it at 80% as a rule.

Reactions: Nycinpolk