Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me build a serious charging network from Los Angeles to Phoenix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365899167.686103.jpg

(In the large gray box)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365899196.443391.jpg

Wide shot of antique gas station where it's mounted.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365899230.598143.jpg

Just speak with the main gas station attendant across the street and he'll hand you this key!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365899281.184794.jpg

Can't wait to hear someone's first report of using it! I've also added it to the plug share and recargo maps so hopefully it will start getting some use soon!

I'll let you know soon. I plan on using it next Sunday on my drive from LA to Phoenix and I'll post some pics. Now the million dollar question is do i stop in Blythe to get a quick charge or should i just push straight to Phoenix 241miles....I don't enjoy cutting it close, so lets hope there is no head wind :)

Ken

I'll let you know soon. I plan on using it next Sunday on my drive from LA to Phoenix and I'll post some pics. Now the million dollar question is do i stop in Blythe to get a quick charge or should i just push straight to Phoenix 241miles....I don't enjoy cutting it close, so lets hope there is no head wind :)

Ken

Is the Blythe supercharger up already? That would be great news!

Ken
Problem with I-10 between Blythe and PHX is that the speed limit is 75 and flow of traffic around 85. Won't get close at those speeds. I wouldn't count on more 180 rated miles to make it. Hopefully next week we'll get an indication on SC sites. Pretty sure Blythe & Yuma are on the short list.

Don't forget to add any new chargers you create of find to the Electric Cars - Charging Stations - Recargo network :wink:

Already done!

It also looks like we've had our first person stop by to charge! I was emailed a photo from Chiriaco Summit of some proud owners of a Blue Model S who stopped by to charge while driving across the country! I won't post the photo unless the owner would like, but glad to hear the first charge was successful!

Pics!

View attachment 20077

(In the large gray box)
View attachment 20078

Wide shot of antique gas station where it's mounted.
View attachment 20079

Just speak with the main gas station attendant across the street and he'll hand you this key!
View attachment 20080

Can't wait to hear someone's first report of using it! I've also added it to the plug share and recargo maps so hopefully it will start getting some use soon!

Phenomenal job! Really great that you made this happen. :)

I am installing a 100 amp 240v Charger for my Tesla Model S at my business in the Inland Empire. I would love to be a stopping point for some fellow Tesla owners. But being a newbie how do I find other owners around me and where I live that are willing to share their chargers if I need a quick boost?

I am installing a 100 amp 240v Charger for my Tesla Model S at my business in the Inland Empire. I would love to be a stopping point for some fellow Tesla owners. But being a newbie how do I find other owners around me and where I live that are willing to share their chargers if I need a quick boost?
Where exactly in the Inland Empire would that be? It's a big area!

It's about 225 miles from Chiriaco Summit to Scottsdale, and the Tesla Store charger, which I need to get to Tucson. That would seem to require a "Range" charge at Chiriaco. If my calculations are correct, I'd be arriving from Barstow with about 90 miles. Not sure how long a "Range" charge would take getting from 90 to 260, but pretty sure it would mean spending the night at the Motel 6 there. Would think a motel in Blythe would be better as there are over 10 motels to choose from. Can't see a way to make it in one day without a Supercharger.

Hi y'all!

Just got back from Arid Zona. Went from Napa Valley to Harris Ranch, supercharged, then to Barstow, overnight, but supercharged anyway. Thence down through Yucca Valley and through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park to Chiriaco Summit HPWC 80 amp charger to top up (2 1/2 hours to recoup the 150 miles used from Barstow), and thence to Scottsdale to stay at a hotel a couple blocks from Tesla Showroom and their free 70 amp Roadster HPC. On the way back, we generally only charged up to about 280 ideal miles since we found we would rather drive than charge (Charging really slows down the last 10 kWh). At Chiriaco we only had a 150 mile jump to Barstow, so only filled it up to about 180 after the run from Scottsdale.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have trouble driving the 230 miles between these superchargers, especially the Harris Ranch to Barstow run. I have done a LOT of distance driving, and understand the elevation gives and takes. It went exactly as planned.

I think the biggest difference is that I go 60 mph on long jumps. This gives me a guaranteed 300 miles per charge. With AC. Many on this forum feel they must drive 75 mph, so they have to go down to Tejon Ranch first, and then to Barstow, but here's how I figure.

Let's say you want to drive 75 mph. Your trip to Tejon will be out of your way 40 miles. And you will have to stop and recharge for the long jump to Barstow, on the full end of the battery, which you know takes a lot longer. So you spend an extra 40 miles driving and probably an hour going off the freeway and charging. AT 75 mph, you will gain 15 minutes per hour of driving, and will drive 270 miles for 3.6 hours of driving, PLUS extra charging time. I drive 60 mph for 230 miles and get to Barsow in 3.8 hours of driving, with NO extra charging time.

Any way I figure it, I get to Barstow first. Harris Ranch to Bakersfield: 100 mi. Bakersfield to Tejon, 40 miles plus 4000' elevation, so another 40 miles. Ideal range is now down to 120 miles. Then downhill to Barstow at 2000', recoup 14 miles from elevation while traveling 90 miles ideal range. Should arrive with 70 miles ideal. Pretty good cushion, and that is exactly what happened.

I set cruise at 61 mph (true 60) and stayed in the slow lane. No drama, ever. The ones who had to do 70 had plenty of room. The trucks often were going slower and we passed them easily. At the Barstow superchargers, my trip meter said I had gotten 275 Wh/mi. And it took me less time.

We did the same for the entire trip. My Wh/mile crept up to 285 (300 m/ch) on some segments, but it was relaxing, easy, fun. We met tons of really swell people, even to driving into the church parking lot just ahead of another Model S which was only 4 days old.

To all you folk who have to do 75 and are afraid of long jumps, think a second. Slow down, and get there faster! Works for me!

Hi y'all!

Just got back from Arid Zona. Went from Napa Valley to Harris Ranch, supercharged, then to Barstow, overnight, but supercharged anyway. Thence down through Yucca Valley and through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park to Chiriaco Summit HPWC 80 amp charger to top up (2 1/2 hours to recoup the 150 miles used from Barstow), and thence to Scottsdale to stay at a hotel a couple blocks from Tesla Showroom and their free 70 amp Roadster HPC. On the way back, we generally only charged up to about 280 ideal miles since we found we would rather drive than charge (Charging really slows down the last 10 kWh). At Chiriaco we only had a 150 mile jump to Barstow, so only filled it up to about 180 after the run from Scottsdale.

I set cruise at 61 mph (true 60) and stayed in the slow lane. No drama, ever. The ones who had to do 70 had plenty of room. The trucks often were going slower and we passed them easily. At the Barstow superchargers, my trip meter said I had gotten 275 Wh/mi. And it took me less time.
So you did the 60mph on the I-10 between Scottsdale and Chiraco as well? I am very intersted in the wh/mi you achieved during this run, how you charged before and how many miles remaining.

Its an 810 mile drive the way I map it. If that took you 2 days and 3 charge stops, I say that is great!

So you did the 60mph on the I-10 between Scottsdale and Chiraco as well? I am very intersted in the wh/mi you achieved during this run, how you charged before and how many miles remaining.

Its an 810 mile drive the way I map it. If that took you 2 days and 3 charge stops, I say that is great!

Scottsdale is slightly downhill from Chiriaco Summit. My Wh/mi were 285, mostly caused by the rush hour traffic for the last 20 miles into Scottsdale and the stop and go of surface streets. And I got lost for just a little bit. I arrived at Tesla Scottsdale with about 35 miles, a comfortable cushion. I had 275 Wh/mi before we hit Phoenix.

The terrain through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park is mountainous. You go from about 2000' up to 4000' and back down several times. What saves it is the Park speed limit of 45 mph. Also it is 10 miles shorter through the park than going around. Another plus we had was that the yucca and J Trees were in bloom, which is rather rare: I've never seen them bloom before.

I had 840 miles on my odo for the one way trip.

Not trying to hijack this awesome thread. BUT :smile: Any idea if this CS100 is lockable? I'm trying to pitch the idea to our Country Club board and 80 amps for anyone would be the way to go. They want to tie it to playing a round of, golf or at least using the dining room somehow. They don't want to give up the parking space unless they get some tradeoff. A lock of some kind would probably satisfy them since I am offering to pay for the unit and maintenance after the warranty. I would also entertain ideas on how to convince them that it would work for the club.

ClipperCreek can be ordered with Liberty keypad option. I used such a unit at Peppertree Inn in Santa Barbara. Check site on Recargo or Plugshare to see my photo, charging my blue Leaf. Motel issued me a key code that unlocked the unit for the duration of my stay.

Congratulations on a successful install of a 80A AC charger at a great location at Chiriaco Summit.

At the Tesla Store the sales person discouraged me from ordering the 2nd AC charger, saying Tesla was not planning to install any more 70+A chargers than the current small set of sites upgraded from the Roadster outlet. If more Tesla owners will help sponsor more locations like Chiriaco Summit, the 2nd charger will become more useful.

Another route in CA that seems likely not to see Superchargers any time soon is Highway 395 up the Eastern Sierra. Lone Pine is 152 miles from the Barstow Supercharger. Allowing for the elevation change, this should just be reachable with care with the 60kWh battery. Is anyone else interested in this location?

Another route in CA that seems likely not to see Superchargers any time soon is Highway 395 up the Eastern Sierra. Lone Pine is 152 miles from the Barstow Supercharger. Allowing for the elevation change, this should just be reachable with care with the 60kWh battery. Is anyone else interested in this location?

Having lived in that area for many years, I would recommend Lone Pine and Bishop as towns to install chargers. Mammoth Lakes is a popular ski resort and recreation town and chargers in Lone Pine/Bishop would make that an enjoyable trip from Southern Cal.