Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right about 0-60 performance of pony cars. Getting consistent their rated 0-60 requires a lot of work.

Now I am more interested in LR with $2k boost. So if I purchase that do I still have 350 miles range + 0-60 3.6 sec?

~3.5 with 1 foot rollout as US cars are usually measured.

Range isn't impacted by boost unless you change your driving style

Reactions: El joe
You are right about 0-60 performance of pony cars. Getting consistent their rated 0-60 requires a lot of work.

Now I am more interested in LR with $2k boost. So if I purchase that do I still have 350 miles range + 0-60 3.6 sec?

Yes, as long as you're not stomping on it all the time. ;) That's one of the primary reasons I decided on the AWD with boost. I wanted the longer range and the new 82 kWh pack knowing that even after some years and degradation, I'd still have good range left.

Mike

Reactions: scenicroadways
That's nice to hear lol. So let's say I get LR and put new 19" wheels on it (because stock aeros fugly) and installed a lowering kit, would that make the car ride and handle better. I just don't want to give up on rides on rails kind of handling my camaro has. Also would changing out rim size reduce the range of the car?
Before knocking the 18”s have you seen what they look like under the Aeros? I too found the Aeros fugly (although less so in person.

I pulled my aero covers off and went with a $25 center cap kit and $25 storage bag for the Aero covers and really like the look now. Plus I can put the Aeros back on for the extra 2-4% if I take a long trip.
4FF83861-EEEC-4FB0-B41D-4337D19B2743.jpeg

Before knocking the 18”s have you seen what they look like under the Aeros? I too found the Aeros fugly (although less so in person.

I pulled my aero covers off and went with a $25 center cap kit and $25 storage bag for the Aero covers and really like the look now. Plus I can put the Aeros back on for the extra 2-4% if I take a long trip.

This actually looks nice! I have never seen Aero wheels without covers before. So my next question for LR is what would it take to improve ride and handling? I don't mind stiffer right as long as it feels tight when driving. Also that fender gap is too big for my taste lol.

That's nice to hear lol. So let's say I get LR and put new 19" wheels on it (because stock aeros fugly) and installed a lowering kit, would that make the car ride and handle better. I just don't want to give up on rides on rails kind of handling my camaro has. Also would changing out rim size reduce the range of the car?
Yes, the car will ride and handle better with a quality Coilovers kit than stock Model 3 Performance suspension.

Depending on your budget for wheels. Stepping up in diameter in wheels and tires can add unsprung weight, but a lot of that is negated when you start stepping up to fully forged wheels. At the end of the day, the thing that affects these car's range the most, is the tire width and tire compound. The stickier the rubber = less range, these are direct trade offs.

Danny

Regarding suspension performance, I’m coming from a late model wrx (and an e92 335i before that), and I really don’t mind the LR suspension. Could it be better on the track? I’m sure. Does it feel tight and response on the street and twisties? Yes. It’s a very competent compact performance sedan suspension.

Alright fellas I appreciate everybody's input. I placed my order for a blue long range with black interior. I will most likely purchase that $2k boost as well after taking delivery.

Now my plan is keep the Aero wheels and mount some snow tires on them maybe blizzaks? And get a set of nice looking 19" rims and possibly lower the car as well.

Now my question is mounting 19" wheels with stock width tires(PS4S) going to affect the range? On the tesla configurator page when I select 19" sport wheels the range doesn't change. So I assume difference in the range is negligible?

Alright fellas I appreciate everybody's input. I placed my order for a blue long range with black interior. I will most likely purchase that $2k boost as well after taking delivery.

Now my plan is keep the Aero wheels and mount some snow tires on them maybe blizzaks? And get a set of nice looking 19" rims and possibly lower the car as well.

Now my question is mounting 19" wheels with stock width tires(PS4S) going to affect the range? On the tesla configurator page when I select 19" sport wheels the range doesn't change. So I assume difference in the range is negligible?

If you mount PS4S, your range is going to be similar to advertised range of the Model 3 Performance. It's all in the tires.
I do like where you're going with using the stock wheels as winter wheels.

I can help you out with all of this. When you're ready, message me! I'm happy to assist 👍

Danny

No you get either 350 miles OR 0-60 3.7 secs
You only get 350 miles if you are not doing 0-60 sprints.
OR you can have fun doing 3.7's until the battery drops charge and gets 3.9's and get like 250 miles.

The mere fact that you are even thinking about Long Range means you have finally grown up.
It's a good a time as any to hang up the disco pants, and settle in to that LR.
You may discover that you don't really need the 3.7 and never buy the performance boost.

Reactions: NorthStar7
I am in the market for a new car since trade in values are little higher than usual and tesla offered me what I would consider fair for my '19 Camaro 2SS.

Today I test drove a model 3 long range because they didn't have a performance version at the store. I liked everything about that long range version. Ride, handling, features etc. But I wasn't really sold on it. Coming from a 455hp car with 0-60 4sec it just didn't feel any faster than my camaro. However this is all based off my butt dyno.

After coming back to store they let me test drive a Model Y performance version and long story short I can tell I am very sold on it. Also, I know that Model 3 performance will be even faster than Model Y performance.

So here is my question: is Model 3 performance actually worth it? There is like $10k difference ($48k vs $58k) between LR vs P. Do you guys think Performance is $10k better than Long Range?

I mean I would enjoy taking mustangs, challengers, chargers to gapplebess but trading off 40 miles range and paying that extra money make me think about it.

Also I was told performance version's real world mileage is less than advertised 315 miles. Is this correct? Could anyone give me their inputs about real world ranges on both performance and long range versions? This will be my daily driver in Ohio. So the car will definitely will see sub 32degress and snow.
I think if you look for a Camaro 2SS replacement and find LR barely similar then I'd go with a performance version if I can. Remember that a good part of 10k price difference are the wheels. Personally, I am not a big fan of super sporty cars and my LR is our family go places car. For true performance, if I were a fan and had money, I'd look at Model S Plaid.

I think if you look for a Camaro 2SS replacement and find LR barely similar then I'd go with a performance version if I can. Remember that a good part of 10k price difference are the wheels. Personally, I am not a big fan of super sporty cars and my LR is our family go places car. For true performance, if I were a fan and had money, I'd look at Model S Plaid.

I would say LR felt like as fast as my camaro if not faster. 10 speed auto in camaro is super quick and the engine gives most of the torque around low end range so you are pretty much in the power band almost all the time.

I was hoping my next car after the camaro would be an upgrade in terms of speed and power but I guess I will just save that $10k and use it to fuel my other addictions lol. Also I can always buy that acceleration boost if I ever need it e.g. to gap hellcats.

Unfortunately I can't afford a Model S Plaid or Plaid + so Model 3 has to make do haha.

If you mount PS4S, your range is going to be similar to advertised range of the Model 3 Performance. It's all in the tires.
I do like where you're going with using the stock wheels as winter wheels.

I can help you out with all of this. When you're ready, message me! I'm happy to assist 👍

Danny

Well that's a bummer. I would be getting Performance version range without the performance lol.

Techna Bronze Titan 7 T-S5 wheels look great on that blue tesla in the pictures from your website. I like the stance of the car too. Are those wheels 19" or 20"? Any spacers or lowering kit?

You seem really concerned about range. Have you figured out charging at home yet. Is your commute 100 miles?

If you had a stock camaro before this, you'll be fine and happy with the LR.

My commute is about 40 miles roundtrip and I drive to bigger cities maybe few times a month. That's usually around 60-70 miles one way. I don't have any range anxiety yet but I am concerned about winter months. From what I gather you can lose up to 40% range in the cold weather? Winter months are usually in 10s and 20s around here.

I am probably going to install Tesla Wall Connector in my garage. I am waiting for the electrician come and give me a quote.

My commute is about 40 miles roundtrip and I drive to bigger cities maybe few times a month. That's usually around 60-70 miles one way. I don't have any range anxiety yet but I am concerned about winter months. From what I gather you can lose up to 40% range in the cold weather? Winter months are usually in 10s and 20s around here.

I am probably going to install Tesla Wall Connector in my garage. I am waiting for the electrician come and give me a quote.

Yeah that's easily doable with either car. Plus the major cities probably have supercharging nearby. I don't have to deal with the cold like that but I still feel you'll be fine either way.

I have 255 and 295s x20 on my P and I'm averaging 301wh/mi over about 550 miles so far running 36 psi for reference.

If you have a 200amp service already and your install is within 15ft of your box, it's an easy install. If you feel you're getting gouged, watch a couple youtube videos and take a trip to lowes.

The biggest shock to you coming from a v8 with a 10spd is that you cant just go 75mph on the highway on your trips and expect good mileage. It will plummet as your speed increases on the highway.

Let me speculate a bit based on my own experience .... I'd say that 40-50% range decrease may happen when going 80 mph against wind in subzero temps, or driving through a storm with a lot of rain in near-freezing temps. Very careful highway driving (<=65mph at 70F) = -10% realistically, normal highway driving in not so ideal weather = -20-25%, normal driving winter weather = -30-35%. Round trip to 60-70 miles target at 10-20F should be no problem in LR, but it may be close to your comfort zone in SR+ especially if you leave not fully charged. But anyway, if you travel between major cities (like Columbus-Dayton) then you can always rely on superchargers. That said, Dual Motor is super cool in winter weather if you have snow or ice, and if you are in Ohio, you have snow and ice. So, personally, I'd go for LR not because of range but because of full traction control in bad weather.

The biggest shock to you coming from a v8 with a 10spd is that you cant just go 75mph on the highway on your trips and expect good mileage. It will plummet as your speed increases on the highway.
That and power is not linear (relating to SoC). With an ICE, whether the gas tank is full on down to 1/8, the engine is making the same power. In an EV, as the SoC goes down, so does the power output.

Reactions: Arctic_White
That and power is not linear (relating to SoC). With an ICE, whether the gas tank is full on down to 1/8, the engine is making the same power. In an EV, as the SoC goes down, so does the power output.

True, although you don't really take a big hit until you get down to about 50%. From Bjorn Nyland's testing (0-100 KPH, worst case w/cold battery):

90%: 3.67
80%: 3.68
70%: 3.64
60%: 4.00
50%: 4.22
40%: 4.69
30%: 5.73
20%: 9.07
10%: 14.65

Edit: above numbers were from a 2021 with heat pump. These next numbers are from a 2019:

90%: 3.77
80%: 3.63
70%: 3.70
60%: 3.68
50%: 3.71
40%: 3.84
30%: 3.90
20%: 4.01
10%: 5.59

Ref:

Mike

Last edited: