Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide between LR and SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I don’t have a 3, I know a couple that got the first one here in NS, and the winter we just went through was nothing for their LR RWD. Never got stuck once and they’ve put more kms on their 3 in 9 months than I’ve put on my X in almost two years.

Snow tires on a Tesla RWD performed better than their 4WD ICE SUV, also with snow tires.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I previously owned an LR (autopilot , no FSD), switched to SR+ (with rebate, with autopilot/FSD).

My daily commute is 80km. I don't do any long road trips (max, MTL or Niagara). I charge to 90% daily at home (347km) meaning I can go to work and come back approx. 4 times. Worst case (winter), assume 50% battery capacity (193km), I'm still looking at ~2.5 round trips daily.

For the 15k difference, IMO it's not worth the LR.

Honestly, I wish they never introduced the rebate, as I was happy paying the ~9k premium for the LR as its always "nice to have" the extra range however at ~15k, it becomes very hard to justify.

Driving wise - I could not see a difference in 5.3 seconds to 5.6.
Rear heated seats - My kids can tough it out.
Satellite maps - Never use it
Streaming Music - I use spotify
Browser - FSD + Iphone (... I kid)

The biggest thing I noticed was the lack of floor mats and USB cables and in some cases the NEMA 14-50 (which was included for me).

I used the savings towards FSD which I now use religiously on my daily commute.

Just my opinion, not trying to *sugar* on those who NEED the LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I previously owned an LR (autopilot , no FSD), switched to SR+ (with rebate, with autopilot/FSD).
Kind of off topic, but did you sell your LR and switch to an SR+, or did you just buy and SR+ and give the LR to a family member?

I would think, best case scenario, you might break even selling the RWD after just a year given the depreciation hit on any car is huge in the first year. That would assume you got the 14k rebate and re sold it to someone who didn't factor that into the sale price....but even then, you would end up breaking even, but having less range and a few other small 'perks' the LR RWD had.....dont mean to hijack the thread, just curious because I can't see a way where 'switching' to an SR+ could work, even with the 5k rebate :oops:

This thread was created by @Mdubz and I shameless piggybacked on it but I have appreciated all of the responses directed to me, Mdubz or others. I have read countless threads on TMC, owners group's on Facebook and r/teslamotors looking for insight and have found the perspective provided here the most helpful.

I found the following quote to resonate with me over the last day and it helped shift the tide in favor of the SR+ and allow me to see it as what am I getting with the SR+ instead of what am I losing with the SR+.
As with most automobiles, the best car is not the best deal.

I am still a few more months away from ordering and expect to continue the SR+ and LR RWD debate but it may not be as frantic as it has been the last few months. :)

I will still actively watch this thread for responses but wanted to chime in and thank you all for the helpful replies thus far.

Having had the LR RWD for almost a year I can say that if I was buying today I’d get the SR+. Especially if they offer the once mentioned connectivity package. Even with winter range loss I haven’t personally benefited from the larger battery so the premium isn’t worth it to me. Adding some time to the 3-4 road trips a year I take to supercharge wouldn’t be a big deal to me. Reaching those chargers is a cinch too since there are so many of them. Plugging in at home everyday with 250-300kms of range left reminds me that the money spent on the larger battery isn’t necessary.

Reactions: Marknav
My recommendation is always to get as much range as you can afford. If you can afford the LR, you should definitely get that.

However, even the range that the SR+ has is pretty good. At 386km It matches the range I currently get in my 2017 Model S 75D after having it for 1.5 years (original range was 406km), and the S75D is what we use for road trips (due to more comfortable ride, more storage space, and unlimited supercharging).

I definitely don't recommend that anyone get the Canadian edition SR 150km version. Do the extra work to make the SR+ happen instead.