Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide - Is the CyberTruck a better choice than my M3 LR RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! -

I've owned my M3 RWD LR since late 2018, now have 16K miles on the odometer. I live in a city with a population of 500K, with local SuperChargers and lots of public J1722 charging locations. My home charger is a 40AMP Clipper Creek, providing 30+ miles range/hour.

I'm a senior citizen, with all that implies - arthritis, stiff joints, declining mobility. Bought the M3 as my DD and love it. It's comfortable, enjoyable to drive and economical to own. Access for my wife and I is simple and familiar as the basic sedan design is something I'm very comfortable with and have been driving for 50+ years.

The CyberTruck unveiling left me shocked, and after initially hating the design it's grown on me. I now am considering if it's a better choice for me than the sedan M3. I'm about a 100 mile trip to my son and his family, 125 miles to my daughter, and a bit under 200 miles to other family members. Along the longer route there are no less than 3 SuperChargers, and for the shorter route at least 2. My longest trip in the M3 has been under 500 miles in a day, and with the SuperCharger locations it's not been a challenge planning the trip for minimum charging time (two smaller charges at low initial battery capacity is faster than one longer charge). The longest trip I typically make is about 600 miles, but I'm considering a winter trip to FL - about 2000 - 2500 miles overall. Range matters for this type of trip, but not typically on my "normal" daily use.

I owned one truck in my life, finding it great for towing the trailer I had, but the ride wasn't very comfortable and the noise level was high. With the large wheels and knobby tires on the CyberTruck I'm concerned that compared to the M3 the truck will be louder than my car (which already is loud on concrete roads) and generally be less "senior friendly" with a higher entry height (my wife is 5'1" tall, I'm a giant at 5'7" compared to her). On the other hand having a truck may have some utility for the times when the family needs one (admittedly not that often), and may be more useful as the grandkids age and have more activities that could benefit from the CyberTrucks utility.

This is all speculation since the truck is 2 years or more from being delivered, and at that time I'll be approaching 75 years old. As much as I'd like the truck, I wonder if it's the best tool for the task - transporting two seniors for everyday activities in an often congested city road system.

Finally, even though the LR RWD is advertised at 325 miles of range, that's only under ideal conditions. In my full year of ownership, in all kinds of weather, I've averaged about 242 watts/mile. If the LR battery pack has 72.6 useful KWH storage (never been able to confirm with Tesla - relying on TMC posts) that's about 300 miles of typical range, and obviously less in cooler weather.

So, finally, the question: Is the CyberTruck a viable choice for me, and if so is the smallest battery pack with a 250 mile range "good enough" given the availability of lots of SuperChargers on my most common routes? I bought the LR M3 to avoid "range anxiety", but since that purchase there have been two new SuperChargers installed on my typical routes, and the speed has increased from 120KWH initially at the SuperChargers to 150KWH now. If they upgrade further to 250KWH charging, any range Tesla would allow me to consider long trips as possible given the reduced charging times.

Key element the caught my eye in your detailed narrative. - Grand Kids. The come with all sorts of stuff, toys, car seats, bikes, sleds, and for peace in the back seat, a lot of room in case Mom and Dad decide to come along for the ride. So the ability to have six seats and a large cabin space is great for families. You mention range a lot and I like you drive a lot, My Model S has been to Key West from the DC area and as far north as north eastern Canada. I would pay for more range - my gauge for range these days is my bladder. I would like to be able to drive 80MPH sustained and go 400 miles, which is when my bladder kicks in. I chose the Triple for that reason. Also due to its larger mass it should be safer than the Model 3 (imagine a head-on collision between a Model 3 and a CyberTruck) - who do you think might have fewer injuries?

It sounds like your routes have good supercharger coverage, but I will still move up the dual motor for those cold windy winter days that reduce range.

City driving will be harder, but having the ability to see down the road with the higher riding position might be nicer too. I would reserve something and then go sit in one when they come out - and make a determination after that. You might be surprised how easy it is to enter on the lowest suspension setting.

It seems like your Model 3 works and the Model 3 will be much more efficient than the CybrTrk as it is smaller and will weigh less. I have done numerous trips covering 650 miles a day. Not an issue with SuperChargers. So I would stick which what is working for you.

Thanks for the quick replies - I neglected to mention that I placed a reservation for the Short Range truck and have a reservation number in the 160K range. Given the initial plans from Tesla that was supposed to be one of the first produced models - now it's apparently at the end of the production que - similar to the low cost M3 SR being placed last. I've been thinking of upgrading, but I'm also aware that I won't likely need AWD drive in my climate, and spending $10K more for that feature is marginal utility for me. The tri-motor range of 500 miles is great, but probably overkill, and the $30K up charge for that feature could fund a pretty good 529 college plan for the 3 grandkids.

Your point about city driving being harder is also a big concern for me - parking and driving a nearly 20 foot long truck can be a problem, especially since that's likely to be 90% of my driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Although the CT may have a stiffer body for a better suspension performance than a lot of trucks, the high load range tires and generally-beefier suspension needed for the higher payloads are not going to help make it a super-cushy ride. The knobby tires shown in the unveiling would certainly be noisy, but likely it will come stock with a more on-road tire choice, so that is likely not as large of a concern.

• Informative
Reactions: gillfoto
..."good enough"...
Yes. But if I can afford the range, I would get the longest range and not just the "good enough" range.

I placed a deposit in for that reason: range!

The Roadster with 600+ mile range is nice but I can't afford the price of $200,000.

Model S Long Range with 405 mile range for $89,990 is a good price but

Cybertruck with 500 mile range for $69,900 beats the range and the price of the Model S.

question: is a vehicle I can get delivered in ~2 months (with well defined specs) a better choice than a pre-production prototype without finalized specs which may or may not hit the streets in well over 12 months from now? well.... how should we answer that....

question: is a vehicle I can get delivered in ~2 months (with well defined specs) a better choice than a pre-production prototype without finalized specs which may or may not hit the streets in well over 12 months from now? well.... how should we answer that....

If I need a car now, then it's reasonable to get one now rather than to wait for a CyberTruck that has no definite date of delivery nor the final specifications.

However, I already have a car, actually 2, so there's no rush for me to get another one. Thus, it's reasonable that I should wait for that uncertain CyberTruck.

If CyberTruck 's available right now, I just trade in 1 of my 2 cars for it. The fast or slow wait is still fine in my case.

I have a Cybertruck reserved but am looking into a Model 3 for the meantime. I am especially looking forward to the Cybertruck for its sheer capabilites and of course its look!
You might consider a Model Y. Not so close to the ground and fun to drive. I am enjoying a Model Y while waiting for the CYBRTRK. Barely miss my Model X

What’s a CyberTruck?

a few years ago I seemed to remember a promotion on that idea of a concept truck, with strange weird looks and big boastful specs, like 500 i miles of range. Lol.

my memory fades but I still think about actors in black outfits and steel balls., broken windows, or something like that.

but hey… send in some money and see what happens.

wait. You can’t do that anymore, vaporware is gone.

What’s a CyberTruck?

a few years ago I seemed to remember a promotion on that idea of a concept truck, with strange weird looks and big boastful specs, like 500 i miles of range. Lol.

my memory fades but I still think about actors in black outfits and steel balls., broken windows, or something like that.

but hey… send in some money and see what happens.

wait. You can’t do that anymore, vaporware is gone.
We know you're hurting inside.

Test drive a CT first, what I plan to do. You'll know instantly if you really want one, I have a M3P and it's has to be really special for me to give it up.
I'm in same situation contemplating the top line cyber truck with 2.9 sec 0-60. I read somewhere that it handles like its on rails. If the truck handles like my model 3, I'm sold. Plus I really like the fact that it isn't supposed to dent so I can let the wife drive it.