Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me Decide: New Wall Charger or 14-50 Receptacle + Mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In our two years with Teslas we've been happy with our mobile connector. Plus, we take it with us when we visit our daughter 1,500 miles away.
Similar deal with me, mobile connector is more than enough given I have a SR+ so wall connector doesn't mean any faster. I only plan to unplug it and take it with me if I go on long trips where I might have a chance to plug in at someone's home (got the 10-30 adapter, and a 10-30R to 14-30P adapter for this purpose). For other travel, it's unnecessary as I will always use superchargers. My spend for install was basically the 14-50 adapter (not included the time), Bryant 14-50 outlet, associated box/cover, and GFCI breaker (wiring would be same for wall connector).

Things might change a bit for newer buyers. Mobile Connector is now $230 (although 14-50 adapter is included):
https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

Wall connector is $425:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Don't know why all the talk above about Mobile Connector being obsolete, it's very much still a current and good option. Tesla only stopped including them with the car because a lot of buyers have their own charging options or already had a Tesla, so Tesla saved some money.

Last edited:
If you go for a 14-50 outlet solution, it is best to use an outlet other than a Leviton 279-S00, which has half size steel contacts to the plug blades, which increase resistance and heat at high amperages. You can compare photos on web of this outlet and other outlets which have full size brass contacts to the plug blades.

Are there incentives for other EVSE setups? A Tesla can charge from a J1772 EVSE using the J1772 adapter.
There are a variety of non-Tesla adapters that can charge at 40 amps from a 14-50 outlet, like a Tesla mobile adapter but faster charging. Some of them can also be direct wired like a Tesla wall connector, and charge at 48 amps if it's on a 60 amp circuit.

1st things 1st: Yes, I searched the for this topic before posting. I only found 1 in the Model Y section.

So, Should I go with the Full Monty wall charger for my Std Range Model 3 or for the basic 14-50 receptacle install? The panel is in my driveway furthe back and I'd want to put the connetion point (wall or receptical form pipe in the ground) closer up near the front for ease of access (24 or 20 foot cable). There's no incentives for eithe since my utility, LADWP, doesn't include the Tesla wall charger in it's list of authorized units. They say they can't connect to it to monitor it.

So, I read that the mobile charger supplies 32a only but I also read the std range RWD can only take 32a. All that considered, I'm leaning toward the receptacle.
Why not use an a charger that your utility will subsidize? J1772 to Tesla adapters are cheap.