Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger: Do I need it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose I do not get the idea.

We keep the charger in the lower trunk in case we need it.
I think what he was saying is "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". There are plenty of things like fire extinguishers we have and never use, but in the moment when the need arises it makes a huge difference.

I have the Wall charger installed and, of course, there is the network. I purchased the home charger before deciding to go with the wall charger, I was thinking I'd use a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle, instead of a wall charger at the time.

So, is there any use that merits me keeping the mobile charger vs. returning it for a refund?
I use mine a lot when traveling. Many hotels, my in-laws and son only have a 120V outlet and that 60 miles I get overnight makes a big difference to me.

No
TSCs are everywhere
Hotels with J1772s are almost everywhere

Use the NAV with TSCs in your trip
Arrive always at 80-100% for the next day
Bef booking the hotel and only if you cannot manage TSC accordingly, call ahead to make sure they have EV charging and they work

Only really need the J1772 Tesla gave you for free

No
TSCs are everywhere
Hotels with J1772s are almost everywhere

Use the NAV with TSCs in your trip
Arrive always at 80-100% for the next day
Bef booking the hotel and only if you cannot manage TSC accordingly, call ahead to make sure they have EV charging and they work

Only really need the J1772 Tesla gave you for free
Air BnBs have nearly always a 120v outlet near driveway or in garage… getting 60+ miles easy and free overnight with the mobile adapter. And back at home the mobile adapter with NEMA 14-50 serves as my primary charging solution. Win win- UMC rocks.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I did not think it was acceptable to draw electricity for EV charging unless approved.
good luck
it draws 1kw per hour. lol. We are talking about a 120V outlet here. A laundry dryer consumes up to 6 kw per hour , a baking oven ~3 kw per hour.
and wait until you run the AC in the air bnb (...) or heating. I'm sure the $1.70 in electricity for trickle charging my Tesla are somewhat baked into the $200+ nightly Air Bnb rate...

Reactions: Ther0ck and Msjulie
I get it, just not sure how an extension cord to and EV at an Airbnb would be accepted without approval
Presumptuous if not approved
Just sayin
Unless stated that it isn’t allowed, it would be like bringing in your own hair dryer or phone charger and plugging it in.

I stayed at an Airbnb Yurt 🛖 with electricity about 9 or 10 amps and was able to get 40 miles overnight. I left the place clean and tidy and tipped. There wasn’t any issue.

The only Airbnb that didn’t allow it was an apartment converted to a motel 3 feet across a walkway from my car. The problem was that I asked for permission and they called their boss and he was afraid of liability. Had I just plugged It in no one would have cared and I would have been gone the next day.

It’s also an incentive for Airbnb host to have chargers as the app has an EV charger filter and guest usually have nicer cars and higher income.

Strange new world
Visiting a friend, “hey can I charge my car?”
In their head, don’t they think WTF??
Sorry to come across strong, but it’s like asking for money
You would do so if you made the effort of traveling that far to see a friend. If they are an EV owner it wouldn’t be imposing at all. I would take them out to dinner or bring a bottle of wine. If you don’t really need to charge don’t bother. I have a friend that lives 30 miles away. He will ask me each time I come visit if I need to charge. It just takes me a 30 miles home unless I’m going to go for a serious road trip. Chances are slim.

Reactions: kpanda17
Strange new world
I mean, you can offer them money, I do but none have taken it. Just tell them ballpark how much you expect to use and they can make the decision. Also helps if you do the driving while you are visiting :)

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Strange new world
Air Bnb free-standing house = not a friend ... i dont rent usually for under $200 / night.
Instead of setting the thermostat to something obscene like 67F or running a full load of laundry and baking a pizza in the oven... I consume less than $2 in electricity charging at their garage