Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide SR+ vs MR VS LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of opinions and good advice, but in the end the decision is yours. The Tesla Trip Planner shows a generic location in OC CA to Las Vegas to be about 270 miles and suggests charging in Yermo CA at Eddie World which has 18 SuperChargers. The Planner suggests a 55 minute charge. I used the Model S standard range (which has an EPA range estimate of270 miles) in the simulation. The route is here: Go Anywhere | Tesla

I then entered the same route using the Model 3 LR as the simulated car. The Planner recalculated the route and suggested a 25 minute charge in Baker, CA a location with 40 (!!) chargers. The route is here: Go Anywhere | Tesla

According to Tesla's recommendations the difference in range of only 40 miles (270 on the Simulated Model S versus 310 on the Model 3) created a difference of 30 minutes at the charger. There are many points to consider in this simulation. First, the Model 3 has a faster charging cycle than the model S. In your case that's not critical at SuperChargers since all Model 3s will charge quickly, but what may be important is that only the Model 3 LR has 48 AMP charging capacity allowing you to charge at 44 miles/hour with a 60 AMP circuit. The SR and MR models only charge at 32 AMP capacity limiting top charging speeds to 31 miles/hour with a 40 AMP circuit. This may or may not matter to you, but it's something to consider as you decide where and how you'll charge you car on a daily basis. So in addition to the longer range of the LR version you also can charge more quickly. This can matter if you're charging at a "Destination Charger" instead of a SuperCharger. The Destination chargers are typically 60AMP circuits, not as powerful as the Supercharger. Using one of these chargers with the LR car will give you 50% more range per hour of charge. That may matter, and is worth considering.

Any Model 3 charges very efficiently and quickly at the Supercharger locations, so thinking about how to charge is worthwhile. Personally I don't charge to 90% at the Supercharger, typically only 70-80%. The reason is that the Supercharger charges faster when the battery is low, and deliberately slows down as the battery reaches capacity. (Search the forum for more details). The result is that the fastest way to get from A to B is sometimes counterintuitive. I often make two shorter stops (easy to do when there are lots of SuperChargers in route - and CA is loaded with them) instead of one longer stop. That's often faster and more efficient.

Another thing to consider is weather. Colder weather takes more time to charge. If you're traveling in colder climates be sure that you've heated your battery before charging. I would imagine that in CA this isn't a critical consideration, but I've spent a lot of time in CA and in some places it can be pretty chilly, especially in the morning which is when most people head to work. If you plan a longer trip you may want to turn on your climate setting and warm the car and battery before you leave - that will increase your range and add to your comfort. Typically after 30-40 miles of driving you're good to go even if you start with a cold car/battery. That may mean that you travel for an hour or so before hitting the SuperCharger instead of "topping up" as a SuperCharger at the start of your trip with a cold battery. There are many posts on the forum discussing this and other related topics.

Making your decision involves lots of variables, not just initial cost and options. Give some thought to how you'll use your car most often, where you'll charge and how often you'll charge, and how important range versus options may be to your initial purchase decision. You can always add AutoPilot or FSD options later (yes, they'll cost more than ordering them initially), but you can't add a larger battery once you order the car. The range should then likely be the primary focus of your purchase, all things being equal. Again, the trade offs are up to you, just be aware of them before buying any Tesla. For me, I bought the LR version without EAP or FSD options. I just added the AutoPilot at a discounted rate of $2K (available to prior owners who bought in 2018 or earlier only) which gives me all the things I really want - TACC, SelfSteering, and Automatic braking while AP is engaged. The EAP option was $6K when I initially ordered my car. The point is that I got the LR I wanted in my car, and Tesla had an unexpected sale that let me configure it the way I wanted nearly six months after my initial purchase. You may be able to do the same at some point if you don't need EAP right now. (You'll also likely get a 30 day free trial for EAP - and maybe including FSD features like Summon and NoA - after you take delivery of your new Model 3).

The point is that there are lots of choices to consider - all of them giving you different options and choices. Take your time to decide what you really need "Right Now" and what you may be willing to wait for. Good luck in your decision - you really can't make a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: dakshr and DriveMe
Lots of opinions and good advice, but in the end the decision is yours. The Tesla Trip Planner shows a generic location in OC CA to Las Vegas to be about 270 miles and suggests charging in Yermo CA at Eddie World which has 18 SuperChargers. The Planner suggests a 55 minute charge. I used the Model S standard range (which has an EPA range estimate of270 miles) in the simulation. The route is here: Go Anywhere | Tesla

I then entered the same route using the Model 3 LR as the simulated car. The Planner recalculated the route and suggested a 25 minute charge in Baker, CA a location with 40 (!!) chargers. The route is here: Go Anywhere | Tesla

According to Tesla's recommendations the difference in range of only 40 miles (270 on the Simulated Model S versus 310 on the Model 3) created a difference of 30 minutes at the charger. There are many points to consider in this simulation. First, the Model 3 has a faster charging cycle than the model S. In your case that's not critical at SuperChargers since all Model 3s will charge quickly, but what may be important is that only the Model 3 LR has 48 AMP charging capacity allowing you to charge at 44 miles/hour with a 60 AMP circuit. The SR and MR models only charge at 32 AMP capacity limiting top charging speeds to 31 miles/hour with a 40 AMP circuit. This may or may not matter to you, but it's something to consider as you decide where and how you'll charge you car on a daily basis. So in addition to the longer range of the LR version you also can charge more quickly. This can matter if you're charging at a "Destination Charger" instead of a SuperCharger. The Destination chargers are typically 60AMP circuits, not as powerful as the Supercharger. Using one of these chargers with the LR car will give you 50% more range per hour of charge. That may matter, and is worth considering.

Any Model 3 charges very efficiently and quickly at the Supercharger locations, so thinking about how to charge is worthwhile. Personally I don't charge to 90% at the Supercharger, typically only 70-80%. The reason is that the Supercharger charges faster when the battery is low, and deliberately slows down as the battery reaches capacity. (Search the forum for more details). The result is that the fastest way to get from A to B is sometimes counterintuitive. I often make two shorter stops (easy to do when there are lots of SuperChargers in route - and CA is loaded with them) instead of one longer stop. That's often faster and more efficient.

Another thing to consider is weather. Colder weather takes more time to charge. If you're traveling in colder climates be sure that you've heated your battery before charging. I would imagine that in CA this isn't a critical consideration, but I've spent a lot of time in CA and in some places it can be pretty chilly, especially in the morning which is when most people head to work. If you plan a longer trip you may want to turn on your climate setting and warm the car and battery before you leave - that will increase your range and add to your comfort. Typically after 30-40 miles of driving you're good to go even if you start with a cold car/battery. That may mean that you travel for an hour or so before hitting the SuperCharger instead of "topping up" as a SuperCharger at the start of your trip with a cold battery. There are many posts on the forum discussing this and other related topics.

Making your decision involves lots of variables, not just initial cost and options. Give some thought to how you'll use your car most often, where you'll charge and how often you'll charge, and how important range versus options may be to your initial purchase decision. You can always add AutoPilot or FSD options later (yes, they'll cost more than ordering them initially), but you can't add a larger battery once you order the car. The range should then likely be the primary focus of your purchase, all things being equal. Again, the trade offs are up to you, just be aware of them before buying any Tesla. For me, I bought the LR version without EAP or FSD options. I just added the AutoPilot at a discounted rate of $2K (available to prior owners who bought in 2018 or earlier only) which gives me all the things I really want - TACC, SelfSteering, and Automatic braking while AP is engaged. The EAP option was $6K when I initially ordered my car. The point is that I got the LR I wanted in my car, and Tesla had an unexpected sale that let me configure it the way I wanted nearly six months after my initial purchase. You may be able to do the same at some point if you don't need EAP right now. (You'll also likely get a 30 day free trial for EAP - and maybe including FSD features like Summon and NoA - after you take delivery of your new Model 3).

The point is that there are lots of choices to consider - all of them giving you different options and choices. Take your time to decide what you really need "Right Now" and what you may be willing to wait for. Good luck in your decision - you really can't make a mistake.

Thanks a lot for your detailed advise and explanation. I will be mostly charging at home, so a faster charging would be really helpful.

I have been leaning towards LR model over MR. I have taken the SR+ out of my consideration completely.

Maybe i can skip autopilot and add another color on LR

Reactions: Watts_Up
I’ve never understood this line of thinking. Why can’t you need it, want it, but still pick the one that will give the you the best overall value while you use it along with resale value when you go to sell it? It’s not an either/or argument.

Because almost any car in the "near luxury" category is going to depreciate like a stone, so it almost doesnt matter. If one is buying off resale value, they would be looking at toyota trucks (or various used porsches).

Reactions: ucmndd
I’ve never understood this line of thinking. Why can’t you need it, want it, but still pick the one that will give the you the best overall value while you use it along with resale value when you go to sell it? It’s not an either/or argument.

As the proud owner of a 2 year old Model S, you should go into this purchase fully expecting to take a massive financial bath. You're buying the iphone of cars, where two industries of crushing depreciation have intersected in the most wonderful fashion.

The difference in resale value between different Model 3 trim/battery levels is a rounding error in the overall picture. Get the car that best suits your needs, not the one you think is going to depreciate the least over 6 years.

Reactions: InParadise
The window sticker from an SR+ delivered this week indicates SR+ is the most efficient variant so far, probably due to less weight:
134 / 140 / 128 / 25 SR+
123 / 128 / 117 / 27 MR
130 / 136 / 123 / 26 LR
116 / 120 / 112 / 29 LR AWD
Just one consideration. I generally agree with others here that LR is probably your best bet. I ordered SR+ hoping that fuel efficiency, braking performance, and lateral grip are a bit better than MR and LR. I hate the idea of carrying around excess weight every day. But I don't go on many road trips.

Reactions: Probllama
The window sticker from an SR+ delivered this week indicates SR+ is the most efficient variant so far, probably due to less weight:
134 / 140 / 128 / 25 SR+
123 / 128 / 117 / 27 MR
130 / 136 / 123 / 26 LR
116 / 120 / 112 / 29 LR AWD
Just one consideration. I generally agree with others here that LR is probably your best bet. I ordered SR+ hoping that fuel efficiency, braking performance, and lateral grip are a bit better than MR and LR. I hate the idea of carrying around excess weight every day. But I don't go on many road trips.

Where did you get the LR figures? Is it from previous 2018 model. Tesla bumped the efficiency per they statement to get to 325 miles range from previous 310. So i would assume the sticker would show similar numbers to SR+.

Because almost any car in the "near luxury" category is going to depreciate like a stone, so it almost doesnt matter. If one is buying off resale value, they would be looking at toyota trucks (or various used porsches).

I know luxury cars depreciate. I am not new at buying luxury cars. I just want to compare and convince myself that going LR is not that much extra in comparison to MR.

I am most probably buying LR and j know it would depreciate.

Thanks a lot for your detailed advise and explanation. I will be mostly charging at home, so a faster charging would be really helpful.

I have been leaning towards LR model over MR. I have taken the SR+ out of my consideration completely.

Maybe i can skip autopilot and add another color on LR

Like the old saying goes, 'no one ever got fired for buying the bigger battery.' No, wait, that was IBM...

Were I in your shoes, I'd get the LR due to your road tripping. The jump in range from MR to LR is big, and is very handy when moving from one Supercharger to another in adverse conditions or at high speeds.

I also wouldn't skip Autopilot if you can swing it, as it's genuinely very useful on long highway trips. Cuts the perceived effort of the drive in half easily.

Finally, you don't need to worry about charging above 80%. The consensus is that the difference in longevity impact between 70-90% daily charging levels is negligible. Charge to 90% if that is useful to you and don't stress about it.

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to the Tesla family.

Reactions: dakshr
I know luxury cars depreciate. I am not new at buying luxury cars. I just want to compare and convince myself that going LR is not that much extra in comparison to MR.

I am most probably buying LR and j know it would depreciate.

That wasnt directed at you, OP, but at the person who asked "why cant we worry about resale value of the car in 5-6 years while we are shopping for it".

OP if I were you I would get the Long range. I dont think it will hold the 3k value difference, but in general cars with "bigger motors" are normally worth more than ones with smaller ones, all things being equal. As the battery deteriorates, having a larger one to start means more range left (even if there is only 10% deterioration as an example).

For full disclosure, I tend to recommend to family / friends / co workers to "buy the best you can afford, not what you think you need" when it comes to tech items.. and this car is a car and also a tech item.

Anyway, as a few others said, good luck!

>> 4) LR AWD 19" AP-FSD xxx/White

That is definitely a good option if i could only afford it.
Don't break the bank. Keep some money for vacation or buying a new home....

Even a 100 miles range's model 3 would be an fantastic car.

As Elon said, "A $35k Model 3 without any option would have no competitor."

Except for the battery size, the SR don't get any major downsizing,
In particular the SR still get the same multi-link suspension, the same as the Performance version.

Since you can charge at home every night, get whatever battery size allowing doing your typical daily commute and other errances.
And rent a car for your special long trips, or be a little bit more patient when travelling.

Last edited:
Where did you get the LR figures? Is it from previous 2018 model. Tesla bumped the efficiency per they statement to get to 325 miles range from previous 310. So i would assume the sticker would show similar numbers to SR+.
Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that. I pulled the LR numbers from EPA fueleconomy.gov site, which you are correct is out of date now. Hard to keep up!

My advice is to order the $37K SR+ and autopilot. I own the LR and I can tell you that range is NOT king, cash is king. I wish I could have all the extra money back and have the 240 mile range. Currently I only charge every 5 days or so, the extra range is wasted. But since I bought last summer I had no choice to get the LR battery. If I knew I could buy the SR+ just 8 months later for $37K then I would have waited for sure. You're very lucky to have this option. Maybe order the SR+ and autopilot, then go to the sales center and try to take delivery of an in-stock MR or LR by March 31st at a huge discount. Might get free paint and wheels too.

Reactions: MTSN
My advice is to order the $37K SR+ and autopilot. I own the LR and I can tell you that range is NOT king, cash is king. I wish I could have all the extra money back and have the 240 mile range. Currently I only charge every 5 days or so, the extra range is wasted. But since I bought last summer I had no choice to get the LR battery. If I knew I could buy the SR+ just 8 months later for $37K then I would have waited for sure. You're very lucky to have this option. Maybe order the SR+ and autopilot, then go to the sales center and try to take delivery of an in-stock MR or LR by March 31st at a huge discount. Might get free paint and wheels too.

Agreed. The extra range only comes in play if you're taking a long distance road trip, or you have an ungodly distance commute in an area that gets crazy cold. On the regular day to day basis, you will rarely need to charge. The difference between 240 miles and 325 miles is not a factor as you're charging infrequently as it is. If you sit down and count the number of times you did a long distance road trip within the past few years, you might see that for those infrequent occasions, it might be easier/cheaper in the long run to just rent a car.

For example - you think, man it would be great to have 325 mile range to do the LA to Las vegas road trip that I do all the time. Total distance is 280 miles from LA - I would want to do a quick charge session anyways, which you would need to do in a MR or SR, so other than having a shorter charge time, you're still making a stop.

Same with LA to San Diego - 126 miles one way. A LR wouldn't make it there and back without making a charging stop.

The real difference would be for road trips in excess of 400 miles - you could shave one charging stop.

But again - on a day to day basis, anything with over 200 miles is more than sufficient. Back in the day with the 80 mile range EVs, yes it was a real pain for those with longer commutes and the fact that you needed to charge daily. With 200+ mile range, you no longer charge daily, and for most purposes, it is just as good as 325 mile range. My 2 cents.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
If you only plan to keep the car for six years I'd probably get the cheapest one (SR+.) If you plan to keep it until it's dead the largest battery will keep it viable for the longest amount of time. I don't think the convenience and resale of the larger battery will help much for a short ownership period. Bear in mind that the TCO of an EV only really begins to make a difference vs. a gas car if you keep your vehicle longer than about seven years from my calculations.

Great post. I agree that it's far too simplistic to say "range is king". I live 18 miles from my office and have 4 ICE vehicles at home that will be road trip vehicles, generally because our trips involve going off road and camping. It wouldn't be a wise choice for me to go LR because I'd never take advantage of it, so I will certainly appreciate the cash in the bank/invested instead. I only went MR because I wanted the premium interior and was able to get a decent discount on the inventory MR car that made me agnostic price wise between SR+ and MR. I think all discounts ignored, the best value by far in the lineup right now is the SR+ and will suit the majority of buyers very well.

Reactions: StellarRat