Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me out: 55% or 70% windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 50% ceramic on my windshield along with 20% everywhere else. I was a bit nervous that it was too dark. It’s illegal here in Colorado as well to tint anything other than the top 4 inches. I would say it’s perfect and I have zero questions about it’s safety and/or visibility. Plus it looks dope AF.

I did 50% ceramic on my windshield along with 20% everywhere else. I was a bit nervous that it was too dark. It’s illegal here in Colorado as well to tint anything other than the top 4 inches. I would say it’s perfect and I have zero questions about it’s safety and/or visibility. Plus it looks dope AF.
Aren't the top few inches of the windshield where the front-facing camera goes? I wonder if tinting would affect nighttime performance of the sensor package.

59B5D223-A308-46F2-A57C-E7D375AC58C1.jpeg
D5484118-50AA-48DA-A72A-07FE540B723C.jpeg
D499D9CF-8548-4D10-80A0-1E9DD1D17C3B.jpeg
Photos?

Ski

Here you go. It’s crazy, 20% doesn’t seem dark at all on the inside. For me, this was the perfect combo.

I was in a 1998 or 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan whose back window was factory tinted. Looked fine, but really made it hard to see cars through my rearview mirror at night. Scary hard.

Hoping the MY's tinting isn't like that. But, even if it is, the rear camera not only bypasses that but may well have better night vision than I do.

We'll see. Hopefully, soon. Reading the manual's making me antsy.

Remember when interpreting the law that it doesn't take into account whether or not the car has factory tint in the glass. So if the law says you must have 70% light transmission, that doesn't necessarily mean you can go to a tint shop and have them install 70% tint. The factory glass is often slightly darkened already and will probably be pretty close to 70-80% if a light meter is used to measure it.

FWIW, I've tinted my side windows on every vehicle I've owned and in 30 years I've only gotten a cited 4 times. Two of those times I had 20% tint on my front sides, so I was kinda asking for it and got pulled over specifically for window tint. The other two times I had ~35% tint and got pulled over for other reasons (my younger days) and cited for window tint at the same time.

I think the key to getting away with it here is to have an obvious difference in the darkness of your front and rear windows. Meaning, the fronts should always look lighter. The car looks best when it all matches, of course, but then its very obvious you have "illegal" tint. My typical setup is to have 20% in the rear and 30-40% in the front.