Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint vs no tint measurement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Solar Power Meter that measure the infrared/heat. I made some measurements and I was suprised of the results.

Car: 2023 Model Y
Tint type: Xpel XR plus nano-ceramic

Front windshield: 70%
Front windows: 35%
Rear windows: no tint (factory colored)
Rear hatch: no tint (factory colored)

Car parked @ full sun

Readings:
Meter pointed at the sun (no obstruction): 797
Front Windshield: 56
Front window: 179
Rear window: 94
Rear hatch glass (lifted up): 66

I forgot to do the roof glass. I'll retake all the measurements again for consistency when I do the roof. But looking at the factory color tint, it's appears that it's blocking out the heat better than the nano-ceramic? I'm surprised by this. I was told that the "dye" or darkness in the nano-ceramic tint doesn't make much of a difference.

Exactly. Looks like the OEM "dye" is doing a better job than the nano-ceramic tint??? Did I get "fake" nano-ceramic? The thought did crossed my mind.

Also the front window is dual layered vs single layered back windows so that give extra insulation as well...but still no cigar.

Should have measured before and after the tint to see the difference the tint actually made.

But solar “heat” is a combination of all solar radiation: UV, infrared and visible light. So a dark tinted/dyed glass can still reject heat without an IR filter. Tinting the rear can add more UV protection as well as additional IR filtering.

Reactions: Oparide
So I have a Solar Power Meter that measure the infrared/heat. I made some measurements and I was suprised of the results.

Car parked @ full sun

Readings:

I forgot to do the roof glass. I'll retake all the measurements again for consistency when I do the roof. But looking at the factory color tint, it's appears that it's blocking out the heat better than the nano-ceramic? I'm surprised by this. I was told that the "dye" or darkness in the nano-ceramic tint doesn't make much of a difference.
Do you also have a "before" reading?

I am interested in knowing sun rejection from front windshield without any tint.

Car parked @ full sun

Readings:

If you do not have a "before" reading, would it be possible to check the untinted front windshield of a friend's Model Y with your meter?

According Tesla manual, factory dye glasses are blocking 98% UV. Some heat rejection.

I just tinted my windshield with formular one stratos and it does not seem reject much heat.

I think ceramic tint is snake oil and people perceive that it blocks heat or something hahah

According Tesla manual, factory dye glasses are blocking 98% UV. Some heat rejection.

I just tinted my windshield with formular one stratos and it does not seem reject much heat.

I think ceramic tint is snake oil and people perceive that it blocks heat or something hahah
Maybe the stock Tesla glass is better than other companies at blocking heat and UV?

Ceramic windshield tint made a big difference for me on my old car and comparing regular tint vs ceramic on my old cars was a big difference as well.

Reactions: Oct22

I can tell you after 10 minutes of the sun hitting the front passenger seat from the front windshield, the black seats are extremely hot to the touch. The portion of the seat that had the sun from the roof was still cool to the touch, which was only slightly warmer compared to where it was shaded by the headliner part. would be interested to know what tint works best so I could put some on the windshield/front windows.

The glass itself bocks all UVB and part of UVA (as does any glass transparent to visible light). Tesla adds a substance that handles the remaining UVA. I have a UVA/UVB meter and get zero all the way around the car with the exception of the front side windows, reads 0 most of the time with occasional flickers of 1 there. Mine is an 06/2020 so those windows are single pane, current double pane should filter it all out but I haven’t had the opportunity to test one with the double pane.

i got my rear windows tinted..was it all just snake oil about the dye not working? SMH.
I was thinking the same thing. Previously I've only tinted the front windows on SUV's or minivans because the tint shops told me it wasn't worth adding tint to the privacy 'tinted' factory glass. Yeah you'd gain some heat rejection but they said it was marginal and not worth it.

But after reading all the recommendations on here I thought it was somehow different for a Tesla. Like they cheaped out on the privacy glass compared to other brands.

I was thinking the same thing. Previously I've only tinted the front windows on SUV's or minivans because the tint shops told me it wasn't worth adding tint to the privacy 'tinted' factory glass. Yeah you'd gain some heat rejection but they said it was marginal and not worth it.

But after reading all the recommendations on here I thought it was somehow different for a Tesla. Like they cheaped out on the privacy glass compared to other brands.
I think rear windows is pretty good about heat rejection. It seems better than my 2017 Land Rover.
The roof even better and felt less heat the most.

Pasted the stats in comments from the linked video above - cleaned up and aligned the data, tweaked the order so the comparisons are next to each and added the VLT and roof info shown in video. Very informative.

Up to you if you think the gains are enough to do the rear windows. In another video here at the 0:47 mark he says it's really unnecessary to do the rear windows.

Factory front doors 100% UV 77% IR Rejection 80% VLT​
XR Plus 30 front doors 100% UV 99% IR Rejection 29% VLT​
Factory rear windows 96% UV 91% IR Rejection 21% VLT​
XR Plus 55 rear windows 100% UV 99.6 IR Rejection 15% VLT​
XR Plus 70 windshield 99% UV 94% IR Rejection​
Factory roof stock 100% UV 98% IR Rejection​

In another video here at the 0:47 mark he says it's really unnecessary to do the rear windows.
I should clarify that comment was in regards to heat rejection. If you want to go darker on the rear windows then that's personal preference and you gain around 8% more heat rejection with that film in the video. That's a marginal gain compared to tinting the windshield and front windows in my opinion.