Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint vs no tint measurement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should clarify that comment was in regards to heat rejection. If you want to go darker on the rear windows then that's personal preference and you gain around 8% more heat rejection with that film in the video. That's a marginal gain compared to tinting the windshield and front windows in my opinion.
I tinted 35% front and 80% windshield only. I don’t even bother with the back and roof.

Reactions: elddum
I tinted 35% front and 80% windshield only. I don’t even bother with the back and roof.
Same here. We have two Model Y’s. One with 70% XPel XR Black on windshield and 35% XR Black on front windows only. One with 30% XR Black on front windows only. Have been constantly debating whether to do rear windows, but this data confirms our experience that the tint on the front already cuts a ton of heat. Even after being parked for a while on warm days, the interior is not that hot. The car without the windshield tint you can noticeably feel the heat though sitting in the front seats, so we’ll be doing that soon.

I'm thinking about just getting the "classic" tint instead of "ceramic" for the front windows, and spend extra money on 3M Crystalline or something similar for the windshield. Vegas heat can be brutal during summer time over 100 everyday, and my neighbour who has MY with ceramic tint says the ceramic doesn't seem to help much. Anybody tried "classic" in the front with the best heat blocker film you can get for the windshield???

I'm thinking about just getting the "classic" tint instead of "ceramic" for the front windows, and spend extra money on 3M Crystalline or something similar for the windshield. Vegas heat can be brutal during summer time over 100 everyday, and my neighbour who has MY with ceramic tint says the ceramic doesn't seem to help much. Anybody tried "classic" in the front with the best heat blocker film you can get for the windshield???
You want to install the same brand of tint film so that the color of the tint treatment matches on all of the glass. Parked in direct sun the vehicle cabin temperature will rise, just more slowly than if the windshield and windows were not tinted. The benefit of adding a quality tint treatment, aside from privacy, is that while driving the heat load is reduced enabling the climate control system to not have to work as hard and for improved comfort of the passengers. In an EV this will show up as lower Wh per mile.

You want to install the same brand of tint film so that the color of the tint treatment matches on all of the glass. Parked in direct sun the vehicle cabin temperature will rise, just more slowly than if the windshield and windows were not tinted. The benefit of adding a quality tint treatment, aside from privacy, is that while driving the heat load is reduced enabling the climate control system to not have to work as hard and for improved comfort of the passengers. In an EV this will show up as lower Wh per mile.
Good to know. I am still curious though if getting the "ceramic" in the front windows really differs by a mile than the "classic" that could affect the climate control system to potentially fail or shorten the lifespan? As I am typing this, I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole now. lol

Last edited:
Good to know. I am still curious though if getting the "ceramic" in the front windows really differs by a mile than the "classic" that could affect the climate control system to potentially fail or shorten the lifespan? As I am typing this, I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole now. lol
The Y is a fishbowl, and I would say ceramic tint is must here. Definitely do it. Personally I got 30% on the fronts and 40% on the back and hatch, as well as "clear" on the windshield. I would also recommend a shade for the roof. Your HVAC system will thank you (plus it will make a lot less noise). The windshield tint makes a huge difference here.

I have the Tesla roof and hatch shade, and a more opaque two piece roof shade I use in July and August.

I don't see how any properly applied tint film could shorten the life of the climate control system. If anything the AC will not have to run as hard with the reduced heat load (daytime) that the ceramic tint treatment provides. One way the windshield tint job can damage the Tesla Model Y is if the installer does not properly protect the leading edge of the dashboard from water applied during installation of the tint film (a lot of water/lube is sprayed on the glass ahead of and onto the film. For this reason be diligent in selecting an installer.

Reactions: 702sunk
The Y is a fishbowl, and I would say ceramic tint is must here. Definitely do it. Personally I got 30% on the fronts and 40% on the back and hatch, as well as "clear" on the windshield. I would also recommend a shade for the roof. Your HVAC system will thank you (plus it will make a lot less noise). The windshield tint makes a huge difference here.

I have the Tesla roof and hatch shade, and a more opaque two piece roof shade I use in July and August.
I will trust your recommendation since you're from Vegas! Do you recommend anyone here in town? I've seen eco-tint and green valley tint being recommended by quick google search, but you never know.

I will trust your recommendation since you're from Vegas! Do you recommend anyone here in town? I've seen eco-tint and green valley tint being recommended by quick google search, but you never know.
I had mine done at Eco-Tint. Everything was computer cut and came out great. They also did PPF at the same time. Did half front and pieces to protect in front of the rear wheels. Tint was Llumar IRX. At the time (2 years ago) options were Stratos, IRX and CTX.

I had my tint done at GV tint because they had good prices and used 3M. I got ceramic tint on all my windows except the roof, plan on using a sun shade for that. They messed up my windshield the first time leaving little creases in the film. I pointed it out right away and they said I needed to go back because they could not fix it that day. So I went back a month later and they redid my windshield and it does look better but now it slightly distorts lights at night, kinda making lights a little blurry. Dont recall that problem before and feel like they might have heated the film too much when shrinking. Pretty disappointed with the quality of work there. I may take our MY somewhere else to get the windshield redone.

I had my tint done at GV tint because they had good prices and used 3M. I got ceramic tint on all my windows except the roof, plan on using a sun shade for that. They messed up my windshield the first time leaving little creases in the film. I pointed it out right away and they said I needed to go back because they could not fix it that day. So I went back a month later and they redid my windshield and it does look better but now it slightly distorts lights at night, kinda making lights a little blurry. Dont recall that problem before and feel like they might have heated the film too much when shrinking. Pretty disappointed with the quality of work there. I may take our MY somewhere else to get the windshield redone.
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it!

The glass itself bocks all UVB and part of UVA (as does any glass transparent to visible light). Tesla adds a substance that handles the remaining UVA. I have a UVA/UVB meter and get zero all the way around the car with the exception of the front side windows, reads 0 most of the time with occasional flickers of 1 there. Mine is an 06/2020 so those windows are single pane, current double pane should filter it all out but I haven’t had the opportunity to test one with the double pane.
I was happy to find this discussion thread. So many people state that Tesla glass other than than the roof offers limited UV protection especially when it comes to UV-A. That does not appear to be true. The Tesla Model Y manual (2023) for one states: "The roof, windshields, and windows in Model Y are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection." - It's in the glass section. While the level of IR rejection can be more debatable, it seems we are protected from all UV rays (i.e. UV A,B,&C). To me that means that tinting would be more applicable for reasons outside of UV protection.

I was happy to find this discussion thread. So many people state that Tesla glass other than than the roof offers limited UV protection especially when it comes to UV-A. That does not appear to be true. The Tesla Model Y manual (2023) for one states: "The roof, windshields, and windows in Model Y are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection." - It's in the glass section. While the level of IR rejection can be more debatable, it seems we are protected from all UV rays (i.e. UV A,B,&C). To me that means that tinting would be more applicable for reasons outside of UV protection.
Do you have any documentation or proof about this? I’m not saying that I don’t believe you. I just want to make sure I got the most information out of this as I don’t plan to tint the roof. Tint the roof can crack it on hot day

Look like the back windows does have UV protection for UVB and UVC but only 74.3% for UVA. - Are Tesla Windows UV Protected? (Benefits) - EcoWut

Another post referring to the same claim - Do Model Y windshield and windows have UV protection?

The roof, windshields, and windows in Model Y are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection.