Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint vs no tint measurement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got that already. I’m asking about uv-a claim.
I've measured them with a UV meter, get zero all windows except an occasional flicker between 0 and 1 UV index on the front side windows. Mine is a 2020 model, single side panes, the newer double panes test at zero. Keep in mind that plain glass filters out all UV except some of the UVA, the least dangerous UV. Additions to the glass would be aimed at blocking the remaining UVA the glass does not, and whatever Tesla is using for the UVA is effective.

Maybe the stock Tesla glass is better than other companies at blocking heat and UV?

Ceramic windshield tint made a big difference for me on my old car and comparing regular tint vs ceramic on my old cars was a big difference as well.
Thank you for your post. In what way did it make a difference? I like the OP's approach of measuring. It would be interesting to get data before and after. Did you take measurements?

Since the stock glass already have good UV and IR rejection rates would it be better to get non-ceramic tint for the front side windows? I drive north/south during my commute and always get sun hitting from the drive side window. But I'm afraid to get the infamous ceramic low angle haze.

Since the stock glass already have good UV and IR rejection rates would it be better to get non-ceramic tint for the front side windows? I drive north/south during my commute and always get sun hitting from the drive side window. But I'm afraid to get the infamous ceramic low angle haze.
UV and IR rejection are not the same thing. Glass, all safety glass with a laminate plastic center layer rejects (filters) out ultraviolet (UV) rays. Some UV rays, i.e. UV type A, can damage man made materials, age skin. UV type B exposure causes sunburn and can lead to skin cancer. Infrared rays (IR) are felt as heat on your skin, transmit heat energy to exposed surfaces. IR is why a car seating surface or the steering wheel can get hot enough to burn your exposed skin in summer. The roof of the Tesla Model is specially treated from the factory to reject IR. The front windshield, other glass in the Tesla Model Y are not treated to reject IR. That is why adding a ceramic tint to the windshield, other glass in the Tesla Model Y can improve passenger comfort in the Tesla Model Y's passenger cabin during the daylight hours.

A ceramic tint can be used to darken the side windows for privacy, up to the limit allowed in your state. You may be able to legally tint the front side windows to match the rear windows and the rear hatch. Adding a ceramic tint to the front windshield may be possible, depending on state DOT/DMV regulations. In most states you are able to add a tint film (non-reflective only) to the top five inches of the windshield. A 70% ceramic tint (barely noticeable) on the front windshield is sometimes used.

Reactions: yamsta and fredzos
The roof of the Tesla Model is specially treated from the factory to reject IR. The front windshield, other glass in the Tesla Model Y are not treated to reject IR.
The bold part is not true though, right? (please don't take this the wrong way; I'm not trying to call you out and I appreciate all the great information you always share! I'm simply trying to figure out what I want to do with my new MY in regards to tint and been doing a lot of research -- and I keep seeing conflicting information).

According to the video linked on the first page in this thread (around 1 minute in) and other similar videos, people have measured UVR/IRR/VLT of the factory windows and, untreated/not tinted, the factory front side windows clock in around ~75-77% IRR with the rear side windows showing around ~90% IRR. Are these measurements incorrect or is there something I'm missing when it comes to factory windows on new MYs? It feels like half the posts I'm reading are of the "rear glass is just dyed and front is just dual paned with no UV/IR rejection" variety while the other half quote measurements or do their own and show there's quite a bit of UVR/IRR -- one can argue it may not be enough/you'd want more/etc. but that's a different story.

The treatment used in the glass in the windows of the Tesla Model Y may have changed over time. (E.g, The front windows in the Tesla Model Y are now laminated.) Tesla states that the glass roof of the Model Y is factory treated to reject UV and IR. The plastic film used in laminated glass filters UV rays.

The windshield, glass roof and front windows are laminated. Not sure about the hatch glass. At this time I don't believe the rear door windows have laminated glass. The requirement for the front driver and passenger windows now being made with laminated glass is per US DOT safety regulations. Eventually this regulation may be extended to include the rear door windows.

Get recommendations for a few local tint shops. I would listen to the tint shop advisors as to the best tint option for tinting the glass of your Model Y, then choose based on your need and budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: rub1k
The bold part is not true though, right? (please don't take this the wrong way; I'm not trying to call you out and I appreciate all the great information you always share! I'm simply trying to figure out what I want to do with my new MY in regards to tint and been doing a lot of research -- and I keep seeing conflicting information).

According to the video linked on the first page in this thread (around 1 minute in) and other similar videos, people have measured UVR/IRR/VLT of the factory windows and, untreated/not tinted, the factory front side windows clock in around ~75-77% IRR with the rear side windows showing around ~90% IRR. Are these measurements incorrect or is there something I'm missing when it comes to factory windows on new MYs? It feels like half the posts I'm reading are of the "rear glass is just dyed and front is just dual paned with no UV/IR rejection" variety while the other half quote measurements or do their own and show there's quite a bit of UVR/IRR -- one can argue it may not be enough/you'd want more/etc. but that's a different story.

I just measured a 2023 MY Demo with the same meter in the video.
Demo MY Front 81.6% VLT 73.7% IRR 100% UV
Demo MY Rear 23.8% VLT 90.2% IRR 96.5% UV

I was curious how my Llumar Stratos 40 and AIR 80 helped versus stock (but never had a stock measurement until now).
So yes, the stock front untinted and rear tinted glass has IR and UV rejection before any aftermarket films.

Chewy's MY Front 39.5% VLT 98.3% IRR 100% UV
Chewy's MY Rear 18.9% VLT 98.3% IRR 100% UV
is where I'm sitting now.

Reactions: rub1k
I just measured a 2023 MY Demo with the same meter in the video.
Demo MY Front 81.6% VLT 73.7% IRR 100% UV
Demo MY Rear 23.8% VLT 90.2% IRR 96.5% UV

I was curious how my Llumar Stratos 40 and AIR 80 helped versus stock (but never had a stock measurement until now).
So yes, the stock front untinted and rear tinted glass has IR and UV rejection before any aftermarket films.

Chewy's MY Front 39.5% VLT 98.3% IRR 100% UV
Chewy's MY Rear 18.9% VLT 98.3% IRR 100% UV
is where I'm sitting now.
Thanks for the additional data point. Looks like stock measurements match closely the YT video measurements; good to know!

Thinking about doing something very similar (80% for the rears and 35-40% for front -- don't want it too dark since technically illegal in CA)... also probably 70% on the windshield.

I’d be keen to see any proof of this. Searching I see a lot of comments that is the case, but it all seems to be statements, opinions, or “I heard”.

I’m not saying to tint it or not - I’m researching myself to decide. If it can cause cracking I’d appreciate references to real cases with descriptions and photos. Thanks!
Honestly I'd be less interested in tinting the roof after seeing how it should properly be done (removing the B/C pillars, dropping the headliner). Tint guys aren't exactly gentle with popping clips...

I just ended up getting a 2-piece sunshade. I got sick of the sun poking in above my sunglasses, and into my eyes while driving.

Reactions: elddum