Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Model 3 not remembering amp limit with new update??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!
I set a charging amp limit when I'm at home to 5A (really weak charger and going above it trips the breaker). Anyway, for the last year, when I've gotten home, the Tesla remembers to lower the limit to 5A. Now, since the update, it "forgets" and thinks it should be 48A each time. Help??

There is a bug in the 4.2 (?) release of the phone app that screws up the amp limit when charging. You can fix this (hopefully) by not using the app to set the amp limit you want, but by setting the limit at the car’s control screen.

I set a charging amp limit when I'm at home to 5A (really weak charger and going above it trips the breaker).
First off, that is really unsettling. You should get that looked at. What the heck are you using, and what is it plugged into? If it's an outlet on a shared circuit with a few other things, I could understand why that's tripping a breaker, but then that's not a very good charging setup to be using.

Now, since the update, it "forgets" and thinks it should be 48A each time. Help??
Well, a couple of things about this. First off, as @pipp mentioned, yes, there is a bug where adjusting it from the mobile app on the phone is messed up. Don't use that. Only adjust it from the screen in the car.

And yes, updates have been known to sometimes make it "forget" and default back to full level, but that is only once, and when you adjust it back down, it should save that setting again.

However, I think you may be getting fooled by what you are seeing and assuming things. Here are the conditions for having it remember that setting:

The car must be plugged in at that location and adjusted while plugged in for it to save the amp setting tagged to that location. If you try to adjust it while it's not plugged in, it's not going to save that. So if you just see the car showing 48A while it's wherever and not plugged in, that means nothing. It's not switching to the saved setting yet. It can be showing 48A, and then when you plug it in, it will flip back down to that saved lower amp value. So try that. Plug it in and set it back down to 5A while it's trying to charge. Then later, when you unplug and leave, it will probably pop back to showing 48A. But then come back and plug in again and see if goes back to using the lower amp setting.