Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help NEMA 10-30R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is my solution. It works fine, was about $32 and change. I think is was more a "box checker" for me - just to see if I could do it. I certainly could have gotten by with the 120V or charging somewhere else (e.g. nearby with Clark, Seaside) - but I have this now and will have it in the future. It is a bit cumbersome to carry around, but it is Job Specific and will sit in the garage until I do something like this again.

I have a similar 6-20R to 5-15 that allows me to connect to my welder outlet in the garage at home (I have that and my daily Tesla Charging line). But I have only used that once or twice just too prove it. That one h as a big label on it "Tesla Charging Only" which this one will bear as soon as I get home

Attachments

• nema.JPG
    nema.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for the photo. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but as long as it gets the job done, who cares?

For some reason, it never occurred to me to use a dryer cord on the plug end. I've been through Home Depot pondering an adapter like this and always had in mind the plugs and separate electrical wire. Obviously, the dryer plug would make it much simpler. I'll be sure to remember that if I'm ever in the same situation.

Yeah, it's obvious now, it just never occurred to me for some reason.

What's really weird is that I wired my HPWC with a cable like this. You'd think I would have realized it would make sense for an adapter too. At least you guys helped me figure it out before I wasted a bunch of effort.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks for the pictures, it made everything clearer.
I wonder why Tesla stopped supplying the Adapters like the ones for dryer outlets.
When you are visiting someone they would be quite handy for a Tesla charge. I had to use
a regular wall socket the last time I visited my sister and her husband, which was painful
enough. :)

I tried to press Tesla on why they would drop support for the dryer adapters (and yet make a NEMA 6-15 adapter that no one uses), and hit a roadblock. They said that the group/person responsible for the online store makes the decisions, which, if true, is nuts. Then again, considering how messed up that store is (stuff is always out of stock), that would explain it.

Tesla makes some good engineering decisions (mostly, I've noticed, when JB Straubel is involved), but in other areas, they really, truly suck. As in, my Model X has fit and finish issues that would make Kia Motors embarrassed.

Reactions: TexasEV
Well done! :cool:

So here is my solution. It works fine, was about $32 and change. I think is was more a "box checker" for me - just to see if I could do it. I certainly could have gotten by with the 120V or charging somewhere else (e.g. nearby with Clark, Seaside) - but I have this now and will have it in the future. It is a bit cumbersome to carry around, but it is Job Specific and will sit in the garage until I do something like this again.

I have a similar 6-20R to 5-15 that allows me to connect to my welder outlet in the garage at home (I have that and my daily Tesla Charging line). But I have only used that once or twice just too prove it. That one h as a big label on it "Tesla Charging Only" which this one will bear as soon as I get home

upload_2016-7-26_13-20-5.png

• Funny
Reactions: supratachophobia
<mini thread hijack paused>

So, I could have gotten away with just the 120V, but this am, I had to run some errands and then come back and pack. In order to make my plans work, I needed a full charge (just appease me and pretend I did the math and that all the "you can make it if you slow down" theories don't fit because of extemporaneous factors of which you are unaware) ...

anyhow, I plugged in just now to get the needed 24 amps and electrons to make it. So it did come in handy.

Reactions: Tree95
You are killing me. One resurrection at a time please.
Sorry @supratachophobia, I really didn't mean to overlook your tireless efforts to shake the trees for spare adapters and for having led the charge in making Tesla more aware of the need for 30 amp adapters. Thank you for that.

At the same time, I've felt frustrated. Tesla has made it more difficult for me to charge at 24 amps from a dryer outlet at a destination where I cannot "just install a 14-50 outlet," by dropping the adapters in the first place and having an inconsistent story at the service centers. As has been reported on this forum, some service managers were happy to order the part for customers who asked; others flat-out refused since "Tesla is no longer offering them for sale." Since I encountered the latter response, my options for dryer-outlet charging looked like this:

1. Buy a third-party adapter. However, the vendor whose product was $55 had their site go down for about two weeks, and it didn't look like they were going to return to life either. (The site is back up, as of a few days ago.) That left one other adapter on the market, at a considerably higher price of $85.

2. Make an adapter myself for $30 in parts. Since I probably only need to use this adapter a couple of times a year, just enough to eliminate one (crowded) supercharger stop on a trip, this was an appealing choice.

The official Tesla adapter is superior to either of these solutions, because it limits the continuous draw to 24 amps and is therefore safer. However, I cautiously point out that the 10-30 and 14-30 Tesla adapters are not back yet. An overheard conversation on the gigafactory tour bus suggests they could be back sometime in Q4 of this year. What we actually have today are the two solutions above. And I'm glad that alternatives exist while we're waiting.

Sorry @supratachophobia, I really didn't mean to overlook your tireless efforts to shake the trees for spare adapters and for having led the charge in making Tesla more aware of the need for 30 amp adapters. Thank you for that.

At the same time, I've felt frustrated. Tesla has made it more difficult for me to charge at 24 amps from a dryer outlet at a destination where I cannot "just install a 14-50 outlet," by dropping the adapters in the first place and having an inconsistent story at the service centers. As has been reported on this forum, some service managers were happy to order the part for customers who asked; others flat-out refused since "Tesla is no longer offering them for sale." Since I encountered the latter response, my options for dryer-outlet charging looked like this:

1. Buy a third-party adapter. However, the vendor whose product was $55 had their site go down for about two weeks, and it didn't look like they were going to return to life either. (The site is back up, as of a few days ago.) That left one other adapter on the market, at a considerably higher price of $85.

2. Make an adapter myself for $30 in parts. Since I probably only need to use this adapter a couple of times a year, just enough to eliminate one (crowded) supercharger stop on a trip, this was an appealing choice.

The official Tesla adapter is superior to either of these solutions, because it limits the continuous draw to 24 amps and is therefore safer. However, I cautiously point out that the 10-30 and 14-30 Tesla adapters are not back yet. An overheard conversation on the gigafactory tour bus suggests they could be back sometime in Q4 of this year. What we actually have today are the two solutions above. And I'm glad that alternatives exist while we're waiting.
I totally get what you are saying which is precisely why even despite having one myself, I thought it was ridiculous that me of all people was seeing this great need that Tesla wasn't. And I didn't even know people were trying to use this as a primary charging source at first which makes it even more crucial this adapter comes back to market. The safety aspect alone should be enough motivation as well. I cringe every time I see a Frankenstein solution (but still works!) for trying to get a desired charging situation solved.

I am inherently an irresponsible person, so if I'm the one claiming a safety motivation, you know the situation is bad.