Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help please - Max front wheel and tire size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am trying to order wheels in advance and nearly made a huge mistake ordering the wrong size. Going AWD and prefer not to have them staggered - would like a square setup.

Does anyone know the max tire size that will fit on the front of the model 3? I'm hoping to fit 19 X 9.5 inch rims with 255 tires on the front. Am also planning on lowering it (thinking 1.5 inches - unplugged Performance springs). The wheel offset is 45mm but am also looking at another 9.5 wide wheel with a 35 offset.

I'm guess-timating this will bring the wheels with a 45 offset 7.5mm closer to the fender and the 35 offset will bring it 17.5mm closer to the fender...does this sound right? Will they rub?

Thanks in advance

Am trying to order wheels in advance and nearly made a huge mistake ordering the wrong size. Going AWD and prefer not to have them staggered - would like a square setup.

Does anyone know the max tire size that will fit on the front of the model 3? I'm hoping to fit 19 X 9.5 inch rims with 255 tires on the front. Am also planning on lowering it (thinking 1.5 inches - unplugged Performance springs). The wheel offset is 45mm but am also looking at another 9.5 wide wheel with a 35 offset.

I'm guess-timating this will bring the wheels with a 45 offset 7.5mm closer to the fender and the 35 offset will bring it 17.5mm closer to the fender...does this sound right? Will they rub?

Thanks in advance
Someone here ran 18 x 9.5 with 265/40/18 and says there is no issue with rubbing, they are Enkei wheels, RPF1 I think? setback is 38

The guy running 18 rpf1 has to be +38 as that’s one of the available offsets and car isn’t lowered
I’ve seen 20x9.5 +30, but that’s lowered
Mountain pass’ car is 19x9 +25? That’s lowered too, so those are some calculations that we can run through the calculators to see what fits

255 is a weird one since you either go a bit higher than stock with 40 or a bit lower with 35

Fitment wise, 19x9.5 +35 will fit. Someone is already 9.5 +38 with 265

On the other thread on titan wheels, in theory, 19x10 +35 with 275/35 “should” fit when lowered for the front...

not recommended to go wider than a 255 on 8.5" wheel and all of the stock wheels 18,19 and 20 are 8.5" width

Plenty of folks run 265 on 8.5" rims on lots of other cars with no issue (and it offers a bit more curb rash protection too)

And 265/40 on the stock 18s would also give you exactly the same total diameter as the original 235/45s the car came with.

Plenty of folks run 265 on 8.5" rims on lots of other cars with no issue (and it offers a bit more curb rash protection too)

And 265/40 on the stock 18s would also give you exactly the same total diameter as the original 235/45s the car came with.

Most 265 tires that I can find requires 9 inch wheels from manufacturers. Please let me know if you find any that can be mounted to 8.5 safely.

Most 265 tires that I can find requires 9 inch wheels from manufacturers. Please let me know if you find any that can be mounted to 8.5 safely.

All of them?

9" is "official spec" but they work fine on 8.5 was my point.

Go search around on most sport sedan forums (BMW, Audi, Acura, Subaru, Lexus, Infiniti, Mistu, etc) and you'll find any number of folks on all of em who have run 265s on 8.5" wheels safely and without issue.

I've even asked tire rack about this, for legal reasons they won't state it's fine for public roads but they are willing to say, quoting them directly now-

Tire Rack Sales support said:
When it comes to autocross or "track only" applications we have approved putting tires on wheels within 0.5" less or more rim width range.

Which would mean 265s (which "officially" spec a 9" wide rim) work fine on 0.5" narrower 8.5" ones- just as all the folks on the other sport sedan forums found when they did it.

All of them?

Go search around on most sport sedan forums (BMW, Audi, Acura, Subaru, Lexus, Infiniti, Mistu, etc) and you'll find any number of folks on all of em who have run 265s on 8.5" wheels safely and without issue.

I've even asked tire rack about this, for legal reasons they won't state it's fine for public roads but they are willing to say, quoting them directly now-

Which would mean 265s (which "officially" spec a 9" wide rim) work fine on 0.5" narrower 8.5" ones- just as all the folks on the other sport sedan forums found when they did it.

That's my point, the official spec is 9 inches. Daily driving would be OK on 8.5 but I would not trust it on the track. Better to be safe than sorry.

All of them?

That's my point, the official spec is 9 inches. Daily driving would be OK on 8.5 but I would not trust it on the track. Better to be safe than sorry.
I don't think 265s would be unsafe on 8.5" rims, they would just tend to wear oddly and be more difficult to drive at the limit. Various racing classes are often limited on the wheels that they are allowed to run, commonly to stock sizes, so people will squeeze a larger tire on to it, not because it's their number one choice, but because that is what the rules limit them to. 'R' DOT tires are often designed with this in mind, regular street tires not so much. If you have a choice, it's generally better to run a little wider rim.

Also, a higher profile tire will typically work better on an skinnier rim than a lower profile tire of the same width. This is often reflected in the specs for a tire where the same width tire will have a skinnier wheel recommendation in a higher profile version.

Reactions: mcbarnet007

which is funny, because the track is the one place tire rack explicitly says they're fine :)

Seriously though they're fine either place, and I'd put money on the 265s on 8.5s offering better performance and traction than 235s of the same tire on the the stock 18s (in fact, I will be)

Probably okay; I have 265s on factory 9" wheels on my BMW, and I know people go 275 on those. 1cm is +/- 0.5" so from a wheel standpoint it's okay. I definitely like the extra rim protection but I don't really get the fetish of going as wide as humanly possible; in my case it was more about balancing the handling of the car due to front camber with non-adjustable rear, plus finding an optimal overall diameter.

which is funny, because the track is the one place tire rack explicitly says they're fine :)

Seriously though they're fine either place, and I'd put money on the 265s on 8.5s offering better performance and traction than 235s of the same tire on the the stock 18s (in fact, I will be)

I appreciate your research and sharing your info. I am sure 265s on 8.5s are OK as you said. I personally like to stay within manufactured specs for something I am not familiar. If there is a catastrophic failure, insurance can't blame me for going outside of spec and deny me claim. But I also know most manufacture specs are very conservatives just to cover themselves.