Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, please. Tesla refuses to replace faulty DAS computer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upfront, my ownership experience has been miserable.

In the fall of 2018 I started intermittently getting the "Surround vehicle display limited/If issue persists contact Tesla". When in service for another issue (the yellow display, which at the time they were still fixing without complaint), the technician found side camera calibration signal faults and recalibrated camera. During road test, no faults occurred. Car is thus determined to be "Operating as designed at this time."

I continued to get intermittent alerts. Mobile service replaced the camera. I continued to get intermittent alerts. In January mobile service thoroughly examined the car: "Tested and verified connections secured and computer is capturing image from camera. Found issue with DAS computer."

Service ordered a new DAS and mobile service twice tried to install it, but the new computer wasn't able to download its own firmware. After this attempt in February, mobile service tells me to have the work done at a service center, where the download should be painless.

Tesla goes into hiding. Cannot get through to anyone. When I do in March, I am told that loaners cannot be guaranteed. I offer to bring the car in and if a loaner isn't available to reschedule. Unfortunately, I need my car. Tesla service person tells me he will schedule me for a time and make sure I get a car. Never hear from him again. Am contacted eventually by a new person. That person quits and I cannot reach anyone.

End of May I receive an email that Tesla has proactively created an appointment for my repair. However, the DAS replacement no longer appears on the invoice. I am told that the Virtual Service Team has decided the problem is something else. I ask how they can determine this despite the mobile service tech's inspection and verifications. They just repeat that they have. Meanwhile, I will be driving and all of a sudden I lose blind spot monitoring.

Bring car in and ask them to replace the DAS. They refuse. Tesla tells me that they've replaced a camera and a wiring harness, and they are not sure this will solve the problem, but they still won't replace the DAS -- Apparently because in their 30 mile road test no fault appeared. The part is in stock at the center. And the car is under warranty.

I am presently refusing to pick the car up until the DAS is replaced -- given the mobile service diagnosis, the attempts to replace it, and the claim that they don't know if they've actually fixed the problem. I have also already had to have my ECU replaced once because it stopped working entirely.

What do I do next?

No trolls, please.

It sounds like your service center is rather poorly managed. If you can, try the next nearest one and you'll likely have a better experience. I'd also suggest that instead of insisting a certain part get replaced, instead insist they keep the car until they can reproduce the failure, and do whatever is necessary to fix it - this puts the responsibility on them (where it should be).

• Helpful
Reactions: alcibiades
They replaced a camera and a wiring harness and the fault has not re-appeared. I think you should pick it up and verify it is indeed fixed. If you still have an issue, use the mobile app to schedule another service visit.
I don't think you understand. They found a fault in the DAS. It should be replaced. That's how warranties work.

That an intermittent fault didn't reappear in a short road test is not dispositive that the issue is solved AS TESLA THEMSELVES SAID. So for safety, warranty satisfaction, and thorough problem-solving, they should replace the DAS (a component in the car that they have documented has a problem). They could have driven the car for 30 miles without having done any work on it and not seen the fault. Ergo, by your reasoning, they could've simply not replaced the other items, too. "Car operating as designed."

Last edited:
I don't think you understand. They found a fault in the DAS. It should be replaced. That's how warranties work.

That an intermittent fault didn't reappear in a short road test is not dispositive that the issue is solved AS TESLA THEMSELVES SAID. So for safety, warranty satisfaction, and thorough problem-solving, they should replace the DAS. They could have driven the car for 30 miles without having done any work on it and not seen the fault. Ergo, by your reasoning, they could've simply not replaced the other items, too. "Car operating as designed."

It's possible it was misdiagnosed the first time - that's very common. If they thought it still had a fault I'm sure they would replace it. Tesla doesn't want to be sending you out there with a car that doesn't work. I think you owe it to them to try it out if they think they have fixed it, not turn it into a huge problem over what could be a simple initial misdiagnosis.

Reactions: KJD
It's possible it was misdiagnosed the first time - that's very common. If they thought it still had a fault I'm sure they would replace it. Tesla doesn't want to be sending you out there with a car that doesn't work. I think you owe it to them to try it out if they think they have fixed it, not turn it into a huge problem over what could be a simple initial misdiagnosis.
I agree. But they won't put it in writing that the diagnosis was wrong and they explicitly told me that they aren't sure what they did will solve the problem. Although, I don't know how you can be sure they they very commonly misdiagnose faults in the DAS. Is this documented somewhere?

I'm truly sorry that the company is mismanaged and overwhelmed, but I don't own stock in Tesla and I am not actually sorry. They owe it to me to honor the warranty.

Hilariously, they apparently are going to fix the paint that rubs off from the FW doors, which is a non-safety issue and I wouldn't care if they didn't do (it's been that way for years and who cares). This suggests to me that the no DAS replacement is a management decision and not a technician decision.

Last edited:
I agree. But they won't put it in writing that the diagnosis was wrong and they explicitly told me that they aren't sure what they did will solve the problem.

I'm truly sorry that the company is mismanaged and overwhelmed, but I don't own stock in Tesla and I am not actually sorry.

I find it funny that you agree with me but then you continue on to bad-mouth Tesla after you tried to get them to put something in writing that they didn't want to put into writing. You sound less and less like a reasonable person the more you say.

As to being glad that you don't own TSLA shares, let me know how you feel about that once the Shanghai manufacturing facility starts cranking out hundreds of thousands of Tesla for the Asian markets. Tesla is the most innovative American manufacturing company to come along in decades. To focus on some early growth warts is to miss the forest for the trees.

Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
I agree. But they won't put it in writing that the diagnosis was wrong and they explicitly told me that they aren't sure what they did will solve the problem. Although, I don't know how you can be sure they they very commonly misdiagnose faults in the DAS. Is this documented somewhere?

I'm truly sorry that the company is mismanaged and overwhelmed, but I don't own stock in Tesla and I am not actually sorry. They owe it to me to honor the warranty.

Hilariously, they apparently are going to fix the paint that rubs off from the FW doors, which is a non-safety issue and I wouldn't care if they didn't do (it's been that way for years and who cares). This suggests to me that the no DAS replacement is a management decision and not a technician decision.

It doesn’t need to be put in writing. :rolleyes: As was pointed out to you, it quite possibly was a misdiagnosis. At this point the important thing is whether or not the repair they made fixed the problem or not, and you can’t find that out unless you go get your car and try it out.

Certainly I can understand your frustration to this point, but now you’re just being difficult. Let it go. Go get your car and try it out. If the problem still exists then do what was suggested and try a different SC.

Upfront, my ownership experience has been miserable.

In the fall of 2018 I started intermittently getting the "Surround vehicle display limited/If issue persists contact Tesla". When in service for another issue (the yellow display, which at the time they were still fixing without complaint), the technician found side camera calibration signal faults and recalibrated camera. During road test, no faults occurred. Car is thus determined to be "Operating as designed at this time."

I continued to get intermittent alerts. Mobile service replaced the camera. I continued to get intermittent alerts. In January mobile service thoroughly examined the car: "Tested and verified connections secured and computer is capturing image from camera. Found issue with DAS computer."

Service ordered a new DAS and mobile service twice tried to install it, but the new computer wasn't able to download its own firmware. After this attempt in February, mobile service tells me to have the work done at a service center, where the download should be painless.

Tesla goes into hiding. Cannot get through to anyone. When I do in March, I am told that loaners cannot be guaranteed. I offer to bring the car in and if a loaner isn't available to reschedule. Unfortunately, I need my car. Tesla service person tells me he will schedule me for a time and make sure I get a car. Never hear from him again. Am contacted eventually by a new person. That person quits and I cannot reach anyone.

End of May I receive an email that Tesla has proactively created an appointment for my repair. However, the DAS replacement no longer appears on the invoice. I am told that the Virtual Service Team has decided the problem is something else. I ask how they can determine this despite the mobile service tech's inspection and verifications. They just repeat that they have. Meanwhile, I will be driving and all of a sudden I lose blind spot monitoring.

Bring car in and ask them to replace the DAS. They refuse. Tesla tells me that they've replaced a camera and a wiring harness, and they are not sure this will solve the problem, but they still won't replace the DAS -- Apparently because in their 30 mile road test no fault appeared. The part is in stock at the center. And the car is under warranty.

I am presently refusing to pick the car up until the DAS is replaced -- given the mobile service diagnosis, the attempts to replace it, and the claim that they don't know if they've actually fixed the problem. I have also already had to have my ECU replaced once because it stopped working entirely.

What do I do next?

No trolls, please.

You let the experts do their job. If it doesn’t fix the problem keep documentation and they will fix it eventually. Insisting they do something that you claim is the solution probably isn’t going to work out for you.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Hi! After about 5 weeks, I picked up the car and within one day I got an AP error.

I should've given the geniuses there more time.

Yet another shining example of just how broken this company really is... Then what's worse are the people that come in here and try to tell you just how wrong you are for holding Tesla's feet to the fire. Of course it wasn't fixed, you clearly knew that, Tesla clearly knew that or they wouldn't have insisted on the CYA verbiage. It's absurd you have to keep fighting this but you clearly have no other choice.

Lastly, to claim that Tesla's own service technicians are the "experts" is LAUGHABLE at best... Their turnover is tremendous which makes it impossible for them to properly train service technicians, most of whom came from the "traditional" auto world and know less than we do about EVs...

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
I find it funny that you agree with me but then you continue on to bad-mouth Tesla after you tried to get them to put something in writing that they didn't want to put into writing. You sound less and less like a reasonable person the more you say.

As to being glad that you don't own TSLA shares, let me know how you feel about that once the Shanghai manufacturing facility starts cranking out hundreds of thousands of Tesla for the Asian markets. Tesla is the most innovative American manufacturing company to come along in decades. To focus on some early growth warts is to miss the forest for the trees.

Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

This attitude is EXACTLY why Tesla is in serious trouble... Early growth warts...??? LOL... That actually made me laugh out loud as it's so completely out of touch with reality... This is a cancer and will eventually kill the company if it's not addressed. But of course, tout how awesome they are because some day they might be able to do something in the future some place else having never done it before... :rolleyes:

Jeff

I got the MYP for 2 days. TACC did not work. I took it to SC. They calibrated and said it worked fine. Then the TACC worked 9.5/10 times. 0.5 because it only worked for a few minutes. I booked an appointment and waited for a week to get it. A technician diagnosed and test drove. TACC and AP worked fine. The called me in and offered a test drive with me. Fortunately, TACC did not work. The tech did not know why. A modification software was installed on my car. The tech tested drove and verified it worked. I also went in to TC and test drove. Well, it worked. However, with further diagnostic, the DAS ECU needed to be replaced. I am scheduled to have the ECU replaced in 4 weeks as of this time.
It is a very frustrated situation. I spent so much on the car and the advertising features did not work. Worst, it only worked intermittently. I FEEL THE PAIN of the author of this post. I would buy a used Tesla car if I knew there was a problem with a new car right of the lot. I could save a lot of money.
I am crossing my fingers that they’ll replace the ECU as promised.
For those of you who was, is, and will be on Tesla’s side blindly, you’ll feel the pain eventually. “You would not know the pain until a needle poked your skin”.