Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help save spider stuck inside rear quarter driver's side tail lamp :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How crazy. I have a trapped dead insect inside my right taillamp assembly as well in my 2016 MS, which I purchased 2 months ago. They must have quite a bug problem inside the factory! I don't see any way to get mine out, so I guess I just have to live with it.

I have a feeling this is going to become an OCD nightmare for you once that thing dies and shrivels up at the bottom.

I’ve got a dead fly in the bottom of mine - been there for like 3 years now.

Unfortunately this is exactly what has happened :( Since I made the post, the spider is now dead.

I'm crazy OCD about the car and now every time I plug the car in, I'm looking at a dead spider. Just looks horrible and embarrassing.

Does anyone have any clue how it could have gotten inside the light fixture next to the charge charge port?

Is there really no way to get it out of the light fixture by following the path it took to get inside?

Might have come from the factory that makes the tail lights for Tesla.

It managed to get inside that light fixture just two days ago.

I guess worst case scenario, I can buy a new driver's side rear corner map lamp fixture... I found on one eBay for $100 and I'd gladly pay that to not look at a dead spider every time I charge the car.

How easy is it to remove this fixture to see if I can first get the spider out my shaking it before I buy a new light fixture?

It seems Tesla used to cover this under warranty but not any more...

This is the backside of the light fixture from an eBay listing. Wonder how the spider managed to get in there... He's a fairly large one.
s-l1600.jpg

You would think you could take out the lamp and then shake it out of that hole.

Also what is that blue disc that looks like a cover for a hole?

And then there are the bolts that look like you could separate it into two halves?

Just speculating from the picture above.

Unfortunately this is exactly what has happened :( Since I made the post, the spider is now dead.

I'm crazy OCD about the car and now every time I plug the car in, I'm looking at a dead spider. Just looks horrible and embarrassing.

Does anyone have any clue how it could have gotten inside the light fixture next to the charge charge port?

Is there really no way to get it out of the light fixture by following the path it took to get inside?

I have only read up to this post so far but FWIW I had the same issue early on in ownership, the tailights were replaced due to bad seals. Have you noticed any water droplets or fogging? That should eventually happen if your seals are bad but the bug in there is also a fair indicator.

I have only read up to this post so far but FWIW I had the same issue early on in ownership, the tailights were replaced due to bad seals. Have you noticed any water droplets or fogging? That should eventually happen if your seals are bad but the bug in there is also a fair indicator.

The taillights aren't sealed, they are vented. So insects and moisture can get in at any time. But it should also allow the moisture to evaporate out.