Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Tesla Diagnose Electrical Noise in Speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thought. I also have an iPhone. However the service center tech was able to replicate the sound at the service center with his samsung galaxy (which is also on verizon) however he was receiving a text from a phone who's carrier was AT&T. Ive tried this with my friends and it does it intermittently. It's interesting and quite frustrating. I do know tesla is working on building some shielding in the car so that in the future it won't do this anymore.

Seems that I'm also a lucky one ...
here an answer to the questions asked at the beginning of the thread.
1)What audio source are you listening to when you hear this noise (i.e. AM Radio, FM Radio, USB Media/iPod, Slacker, etc.)
Never thought of it. I’ve the feeling that it happens with every audio source.

2)Have you heard the noise when there is no audio source selected?
Not tried

3)Where do you typically place your cell phone when you get in the vehicle (e.g. in your pocket, in between the seats on the floor, in cubby beneath the display, etc.)
In between the seats on the floor

4)Have you noticed this noise to be more common in certain areas (e.g. Highway 280 near San Jose, Highway 17 in the mountains, etc.)
Not noticed

5)Does the noise seem to come from any 1 or 2 particular speakers, or can you hear it from front and rear speakers?
Not noticed

So glad I'm not the only one having this, it's one of those noises that once you notice it you can't stop noticing it :p

1)What audio source are you listening to when you hear this noise (i.e. AM Radio, FM Radio, USB Media/iPod, Slacker, etc.)
I notice it most when not listening to anything at all but it can be heard with any source selected.

Yes, this is when it's most obvious since the car is so silent it's really the only noise (and it's quite noticeable)

3)Where do you typically place your cell phone when you get in the vehicle (e.g. in your pocket, in between the seats on the floor, in cubby beneath the display, etc.)
Between the seats on the floor but also sometimes in the cubby beneath the screen, it doesn't make a difference where I put my phone.

4)Have you noticed this noise to be more common in certain areas (e.g. Highway 280 near San Jose, Highway 17 in the mountains, etc.)
Nope, it's just as prevalent whether I'm traveling down the interstate or serene back country roads.

5)Does the noise seem to come from any 1 or 2 particular speakers, or can you hear it from front and rear speakers?
Will try to pay more attention to this next time but from what I remember it sounds like it's coming from all of them.

Personal observation:
I'm pretty sure my cell phone is causing it, I can usually predict when a text is about to come in because I hear that noise for a second or two right before. It could just be coincidence but my first thoughts were the phone causing it. If my phone weren't permanently attached to me I would leave it at home and test without a phone in the car at all... I have Verizon and used to have a S3 but now have a S5, doesn't seem to make any difference when I switched phones.

I have this problem too...

1)
What audio source are you listening to when you hear this noise (i.e. AM Radio, FM Radio, USB Media/iPod, Slacker, etc.)

Even when I'm not listening anything (audio paused).

"Yes, this is when it's most obvious since the car is so silent it's really the only noise (and it's quite noticeable)"

"Between the seats on the floor but also sometimes in the cubby beneath the screen, it doesn't make a difference where I put my phone."
Sound comes not only with the cell phone, but also when the radar advisor (french Coyote model) is switched on.

Often hapens at home.

Sound is coming from all of them.

Interesting... I had this problem a lot before, but it seems to have gone away.... No new phone, no different routines, no new car...

I'm the OP who started this thread. I'd almost forgotten about the problem. I still charge it in the car and it's plugged into the USB port quite a lot of the time and the noise simply went away. When I'm not charging, I leave my phone locked in the Glove Compartment. No noises at all in quite a long time.

I am having this problem currently. It is a 2014 S. I cannot remember if it happens only when I have it plugged in to charge via the USB and not the built-in phone dock, but it is quite annoying. The intereference sound is there no matter where the phone is placed It sounds like someone typing out morse code. I just got the car back from the SC with this mentioned as one of the problems but they said everything was fine when they tried to replicate the sound.

I had a 2013 before and never had this issue