Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Unregistered Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?
I received my Model 3 over 2 months ago. My temporary registration expired over a month ago.
As of today according to NY State DMV the car is still not registered and Im driving illegaly as I need the car for work!
I have called customer service many times and have been waiting on hold forever. They promise they will call back and I'm still waiting!
Same goes for the Mt. Kisco NY showroom that delivered my car. I have also talked to the Tesla rep who finalized payment and paperwork. This has been going on for a month now with no results. ro return calls!!
Any help on this issue is appreciated!

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?
I received my Model 3 over 2 months ago. My temporary registration expired over a month ago.
As of today according to NY State DMV the car is still not registered and Im driving illegaly as I need the car for work!
I have called customer service many times and have been waiting on hold forever. They promise they will call back and I'm still waiting!
Same goes for the Mt. Kisco NY showroom that delivered my car. I have also talked to the Tesla rep who finalized payment and paperwork. This has been going on for a month now with no results. ro return calls!!
Any help on this issue is appreciated!
Mine was nearing the end of the the temp tag. I went to the SC and they gave me a new Temp tag (I didn't have to do much explaining as they are used to the delay in sending the paperwork). My title arrived in the mail a few days later. I'd say go get a new Temp tag.

Thank you for your post.
No help - my experience below:

I took delivery from Mt. Kisco on November 7, 2018 and just realized my NYS temporary registration from them expired today.
Unfortunately too late to contact DMV as weekend has started. I will go to DMV in person on Monday and call Mt. Kisco also.
I live in Syracuse, NY Area and will be going to Cayuga County DMV office which is closer

Perhaps with my paperwork the DMV can register the car?

Creates a problem for receiving the Federal Tax rebate also.
The car must be registered before December 31st and perhaps titled also.

Bummer with that problem.....NH resident, I picked up at Mt Kisco day after Thanksgiving, just got the NY state title and bill of sale via FedEx on Wednesday, 12 days later. Everything flowed pretty easily on my end. I keep hearing CT is a problem but would think NY is easy?

It's just that the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive from me.
Ah ok, well that's not practical then. Can you go to your DMV and ask them to give you a new Temp tag? I tried that, but they asked to see how much I paid in taxes at purchase. I didn't have that so went the Tesla route to get a new tag. They did offer to have Tesla send the paperwork so they could calculate the additional taxes, but it was easier for me just to drive 15 min. to the SC.

Thank you for your post.
No help - my experience below:

I took delivery from Mt. Kisco on November 7, 2018 and just realized my NYS temporary registration from them expired today.
Unfortunately too late to contact DMV as weekend has started. I will go to DMV in person on Monday and call Mt. Kisco also.
I live in Syracuse, NY Area and will be going to Cayuga County DMV office which is closer

Perhaps with my paperwork the DMV can register the car?

Creates a problem for receiving the Federal Tax rebate also.
The car must be registered before December 31st and perhaps titled also.
Thanks for your reply! I received delivery September 28. The only paperwork I have is one sheet that the driver gave me. I dont think this is enough for DMV but will go ask

I've also been worried about this. Picked car up November 19th at Mt Kisco. Which is also around 6 hours from me. My temp registration says it expires 1/3/18. Tesla has a big problem with this area and delivery / service. FYI my accountant said as long as I have paid for the car I am good for the tax credit.

I've also been worried about this. Picked car up November 19th at Mt Kisco. Which is also around 6 hours from me. My temp registration says it expires 1/3/18. Tesla has a big problem with this area and delivery / service. FYI my accountant said as long as I have paid for the car I am good for the tax credit.
Thank You! Good to know about tax credit. My car was delivered Sept. 28 and still not registered.

Additional conserns

The plates the dealer put on the car are tied to the registration in the sense that the tag number appears on the registration.
So we have plates with no corresponding certificate. Plates could be from any where as far as authorities are concerned.
Also, we already paid the dealer the $85 documentation fee which included the registration, so, if I can register the car, I am out an additional registration fee and may have to get new plates. Plates are normally handed out by DMV with the registration certificate.

It's just that the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive from me.

You need to reach the right person at Tesla and get them to Fed Ex you temp tags in the meantime and look into where the hold up is. Not sure if the Mt. Kisco store is the best place to try reaching first (manager only if it were me) or calling Tesla customer service. Be nice on the phone. Doesn't hurt to say you love your car but....don't want to get a ticket because of not receiving your permanent plates yet and can they please help.