Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help? Update messed up right front door.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my X today overall near perfect but when I got home it said update available I pushed the update button and when it was done my right front door now opens stops opens some more then stops. When I push on my brake it won't close. Any ideas?

Thank you!

This is a copy of a post from FlasherZ :

2.15.16 was installed on my car this weekend (via OTA, although the service centers are now pushing it during service), and I ran into a curious problem. When my wife hit the button to open the FWD's today, it opened 4-6 inches, then stopped. After that, any press of the buttons (interior, exterior, touchscreen) resulted in three beeps but the door would not move at all. Using touchscreen override (holding the button to open) didn't move the doors.

As it turns out, the doors seem to have lost their calibration data.

To recalibrate the FWD's: hold the interior door switch down (the direction for "close") and keep holding it. The car will give a single tone, the door will move out about 3-4 inches, then stop, then slowly close until the latch pulls it shut. You can then release the button and the doors should be recalibrated. You can't use the touchscreen -- you must reach around from the driver's door to the switch inside. The doors will not do this recalibration cycle if the doors are already calibrated. Repeat for the other side.

After doing this recalibration, the doors worked again - but throughout the day it seems as if the doors lost their data again after a while. The service center suggested that it might be caused by the FWD modules going to sleep. With energy saver to "off" the car didn't lose its data at all (although my sample size was very small here, so it might be something else). I turned it back on before I left this evening, and when I tried again 3 hours later, sure enough the calibration data was lost again.

So if you have 2.15.16, and your FWD's stop working, you may want to try turning energy saver off until the bug is fixed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Xponential
@ModelXBoy thank you I called the 24/7 service 800 # and he is going to alert my service center tomorrow to call me I told them I do not want to drive my X as the right door has something serious going on. I really like this car a lot just a few teething issues.

No problem. There are two issues with the front driver and passenger door, one is latch, one is bolt. I don't know these two issues both exist in all Xs or just one or nothing at all. Unfortunately i hit jackpot, which got both of these problems.

Great idea I am going to try in the morning.

Again proceed with caution. I pull door all the way open and heard a "pop", the bolt broke off. This might not happen to you but there is a chance. Just stating my scenario so consider yourself warned. Best is to let SC take a look at it before starting to mess around. I get nightmare just see the X door pull all the way open. But good luck!