Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with buying Model Y new(2023) vs old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I'm new to EV world and planning to buy a Model Y. I'm really confused with buying a brand new model Y 2023(no FSD/no USS) or slightly used one with 15k miles on it with FSD.
The price difference is around 5k between new one vs the used one. Is FSD and USS worth buying an old one.

Reactions: cdub and OhioBobcat
Thank you everyone for the inputs, It gives me the information to decide.
We ordered after the price drop but then found a used one and already took delivery. Honestly for us the up in the air status of tax credit and finding a 2022 with a few thousand miles, extra year of warranty, Enhanced auto pilot and induction wheels for $4,000 less. It just made sense for us and we are super happy. Yes my parking sensors dont work but things like that will get sorted in the future. Living in the always waiting for something new keeps you from never really doing anything.

Especially with Tesla once you take delivery you will feel like you already have a an old version but it will never be Toyota old version. My 2021 toyota tacoma still has rear drum brakes, low horse power and horrible MPG, but people keep buying them

Reactions: PewPew and cdub
Upvote 0
Especially with Tesla once you take delivery you will feel like you already have a an old version but it will never be Toyota old version. My 2021 toyota tacoma still has rear drum brakes, low horse power and horrible MPG, but people keep buying them
In some ways sure...but I've only had the MY for 3 months and I keep getting new features via FW. I got my Apple Music which I wanted as I don't use Spotify. I got an excellent auto lane signal feature (I love that one) and just last night I got my variable heat and auto setting for my steering wheel which was something I kept thinking about and had no idea Tesla was working on it. Just 2 weeks after getting the car I got FW that made the auto high beams go from next to useless to almost perfect. A number of other little things and only 3 months in. So in that way I find the car doesn't feel outdated. I probably won't feel that until cars come with HW4 and better AP (I do have USS so don't have to worry about that).

Reactions: PewPew
Upvote 0
In some ways sure...but I've only had the MY for 3 months and I keep getting new features via FW. I got my Apple Music which I wanted as I don't use Spotify. I got an excellent auto lane signal feature (I love that one) and just last night I got my variable heat and auto setting for my steering wheel which was something I kept thinking about and had no idea Tesla was working on it. Just 2 weeks after getting the car I got FW that made the auto high beams go from next to useless to almost perfect. A number of other little things and only 3 months in. So in that way I find the car doesn't feel outdated. I probably won't feel that until cars come with HW4 and better AP (I do have USS so don't have to worry about that).
Yes I hear you it is nice getting updates for sure. The downside to things constantly changing is losing functions. I am one of the many with USS that now do NOT work because of the latest update

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I'm new to EV world and planning to buy a Model Y. I'm really confused with buying a brand new model Y 2023(no FSD/no USS) or slightly used one with 15k miles on it with FSD.
The price difference is around 5k between new one vs the used one. Is FSD and USS worth buying an old one.

If you qualify for the $7.5k tax rebate, then I'd go new. Tesla is constantly making small improvements. Some folks are upset by latest MY's not having ultra-sound parking sensors but that's about it for trade-offs

Upvote 0
Yes I hear you it is nice getting updates for sure. The downside to things constantly changing is losing functions. I am one of the many with USS that now do NOT work because of the latest update
So you have USS and they don't work anymore? Is this fleet wide after a certain update? I just installed 2023.2.10 last night but actually haven't checked if my USS is working still. I have the sound turned off so don't even look at them during my mornings. Is there a TMC thread about this?

Upvote 0
So you have USS and they don't work anymore? Is this fleet wide after a certain update? I just installed 2023.2.10 last night but actually haven't checked if my USS is working still. I have the sound turned off so don't even look at them during my mornings. Is there a TMC thread about this?
Correct. My USS do not work anymore which then doesnt allow park assist or auto lane change

Upvote 0
Correct. My USS do not work anymore which then doesnt allow park assist or auto lane change
I just searched your post history and see that you bought a used 2021 car that had mismatched colored parking sensors. And you are blaming them not working because of FW? I haven't seen anyone else report USS stop working unless they had PPF mistakenly applied over them.

Don't you think it is more likely that your car has damage to the USS sensors or system? Has Tesla looked at the sensor function? I mean having some that are different color than others is a clear sign something has been done to them by past owner. They should not be mismatched like that.

Upvote 0
I just searched your post history and see that you bought a used 2021 car that had mismatched colored parking sensors. And you are blaming them not working because of FW? I haven't seen anyone else report USS stop working unless they had PPF mistakenly applied over them.

Don't you think it is more likely that your car has damage to the USS sensors or system? Has Tesla looked at the sensor function? I mean having some that are different color than others is a clear sign something has been done to them by past owner. They should not be mismatched like that.
Sorry I never followed up on this. Firstly Im not blaming anyone. The service tech at delivery showed me Telsa replaced 3 rear faulty parking sensors then instructed the customer to reschedule to have them painted. He said they all come in black and need to be painted. The customer never did that before trading the car into tesla.

Now it has more parking sensors that have gone bad

Upvote 0