Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with buying Model Y new(2023) vs old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I'm new to EV world and planning to buy a Model Y. I'm really confused with buying a brand new model Y 2023(no FSD/no USS) or slightly used one with 15k miles on it with FSD.
The price difference is around 5k between new one vs the used one. Is FSD and USS worth buying an old one.

Reactions: cdub and OhioBobcat
Go with the new one for $5k difference. The FSD isn’t necessary, the standard autopilot will do 99% of what most people need. I have FSD on my 2019 Model S, only because it was a $5k option and the only option at the time. I hardly use it, and the only option I use that isn’t available with the basic autopilot is the auto lane change.
The USS is personal preference. I’m glad I have it, on my Y and S, but drove a Tacoma without it prior, so doesn’t bother me either way.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
Go with the new one for $5k difference. The FSD isn’t necessary, the standard autopilot will do 99% of what most people need. I have FSD on my 2019 Model S, only because it was a $5k option and the only option at the time. I hardly use it, and the only option I use that isn’t available with the basic autopilot is the auto lane change.
The USS is personal preference. I’m glad I have it, on my Y and S, but drove a Tacoma without it prior, so doesn’t bother me either way.
Thanks for your input @Kairide

Reactions: Kairide
Upvote 0
I'd also go with new. New is likely to have the upgraded Ryzen MCU (vs. Atom) which makes for a smoother user interface. Same story with comfort suspension. If you're lucky, you may also get matrix headlights now (less common before Nov 22). None of these are retrofit upgradeable at this time (maybe in the future).

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I'm new to EV world and planning to buy a Model Y. I'm really confused with buying a brand new model Y 2023(no FSD/no USS) or slightly used one with 15k miles on it with FSD.
The price difference is around 5k between new one vs the used one. Is FSD and USS worth buying an old one.
On the used market, FSD is valued around $750.

Upvote 0
No reason to buy used right now if you qualify for the tax credit. Used prices have not fallen far enough yet.

If you want FSD get the subscription. The break even point for FSD at 15k is 75 months at the current sub price. That's over six years. I bought in at 12k but 15k is too much. I planned to keep mine for at least 5 years and it protects me against a price increase on the sub.

I still think FSD will be worth more on resale once more features are added and the software matures a little more. No guarantee though.

Reactions: cdub
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I would research all the finer specs and see what you can/cannot live without. Others are more familiar with all the particulars and what it means so hopefully, they chime in to help, but no USS means no beeps when you are parking front in which you might be used to (I certainly am and it's probably a deal breaker for me) since it's a pretty basic feature on 10+ year old cars.

Tesla might bring some of these back in a refresh soon from what I read here.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
Depending on the age, I would lean slightly toward the used if had all the right goodies. FSD is not worth it. But EAP is. The basic auto pilot lane keep assist is terrible. But, that subtle little automatic lane change improvement in EAP brings the LKA up to the norms of every other car on the road. But that is not worth $6K when buying new.

So, if you use cruise control frequently and like lane keep, used might be worthwhile for you.

The perfect used target would be a late 2022 with the comfort suspension, ultrasonic parking sensors, and the 16V lithium battery. Otherwise, pull the trigger on the new and think about EAP.

Upvote 0
I wonder why they asked for extended confidentiality only thru mid Jan if they weren't going to announce now. Weird.

If I were to buy mine again, I would wait the 3-12mo for HW4 and Radar. I think it will make a huge difference.
Curious if they will file for another extension on Feb 7th or just before and then it will be interesting if it’s granted

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Upvote 0
I wonder why they asked for extended confidentiality only thru mid Jan if they weren't going to announce now. Weird.

If I were to buy mine again, I would wait the 3-12mo for HW4 and Radar. I think it will make a huge difference.
My guess is they wanted to do a reasonable request. I bet they do another 1-2 month request when the current one reaches expiry. It was probably too much to ask for a 6 month or longer request at one time.

Upvote 0