Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with charging flap please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.
I got model 3 long range last week. I have been charging it at home through a 7kw tethered pod point type 2 charger over night.
However, when I try to unplug it in the morning, having unlocked the car, it does not unlock the cable and I have to unlock it either from the car screen menu or through my phone app. Pain in the neck.
I would have though, similar to my Nissan Leaf, it would have released the lock on the cable, once the car was unlocked.
I have looked and looked and there are no options on the menu.
I even asked the folks in Edinburgh tesla service centre and they did not know!
Can someone please tell me if it is suppose to be like this or if there is a problem with this car?
Thank you
S

I have been charging it at home through a 7kw tethered pod point type 2 charger over night.
However, when I try to unplug it in the morning, having unlocked the car, it does not unlock the cable and I have to unlock it either from the car screen menu or through my phone app. Pain in the neck.
S

Correct! They could change that behaviour I'm sure but unless you have the fob or a Telsa cable with button you presently can't do it any other way, as far as I know.

Not sure what you mean...
Can a keyfob, which presumably not yet available in UK, can unlock the charging cable where the key card or the phone lock can't?
Thanks
It’s either the key fob, or you have to use the Tesla app on your phone, or unlock the port using the Model 3 screen in the car.

It’s one of the main reasons I went for the Tesla Wall Connector, that and the 7.5m cable.

Can a keyfob, which presumably not yet available in UK, can unlock the charging cable where the key card or the phone lock can't?

Available from UK "parts"

You long-press the "boot" button on the fob, holding it near the charge port, to stop the charge and release the cable.

But ... my wife's Fob is buried in the bottom of her handbag so not a lot better than clambering into the car ...

Button on the charger plug/wand may be preferable, however only works on the "home" one of course, whereas Fob works anywhere. Tesla charger has this (same as Supercharger), and there are 3rd party after-market add-ons, but discussion here has been a bit so-so on whether they are the mutt's nuts

I would have though, similar to my Nissan Leaf, it would have released the lock on the cable, once the car was unlocked.

Does that mean if you ever unlock a Leaf, during charging, that it stops charging? 'coz if so i'd hate that :) First time I had to get something from the car mid-charge, and thereby aborted the charge, the chance of me realising the consequences and restarting the charge would be zilch. I'm probably a sample-size of one on that venn diagram overlap though!

I’m going to be in the same position when I get my car, my Volvo unlocks the cable when I unlock the car but will continue to charge if I don’t remove it.

I’m tempted to get the key fob, overpriced but I’ll be saving on the BIK anyway so don’t mind paying for the convenience.

Hi folks.
I got model 3 long range last week. I have been charging it at home through a 7kw tethered pod point type 2 charger over night.
I have looked and looked and there are no options on the menu.
I even asked the folks in Edinburgh tesla service centre and they did not know!
Can someone please tell me if it is suppose to be like this or if there is a problem with this car?
Thank you
S
If I have my phone with me and Bluethooth on,

- then I just have to press on the plug button on the top to open the door, so I can then put the plug into the receptacle,

- or when the car is plugged I can just press the plug button to release the plug.​

I don't see the need to buy a key fob or to use the app to open the plug door or release the plug.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
Just curious - does it let you pull the cable out "live"? I know nothing about electrics, but I thought the "cable lock" was held until charging stopped as I presumed was to prevent anything untoward happening

When I unlock the car it stops charging and the pod-point unit light goes from green to blue, if I leave it a minute I hear it click again and it secures the cable and the pod-point turns green which starts the charge process again.

The pod-point won’t let you release the cable without first disconnecting from the car so it’s locked at both ends (untethered).

I expected this would be standard with most cars (with the exception of Tesla clearly).