Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with understanding the battery. S90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 refreshed 90D. 38k miles. 90% used to get me 269 miles but now it says it gets me 243. But that's a joke. I never get close. I get about 50kw out of my battery. They "flashed" my car to reset it to factory and remove all of the calculations it uses to give rated range. Since then, I have used chill mode and range mode and driven like a snail. Making people mad even in the freeway, all the while staying out of the fast lane. Now I'm at 10% battery and 50.kw, traveled 159 miles since last charge. I have been asking the service center to check it out and it gets to the point that they say something isnt right and they will have the engineers look at it, then nothing happens. Now since the flash or reset or what ever you want to call it, they are having me drive it and get it low again and they will check it again. Again..... and again and again. I'll try to load pictures of my dash from last time and this time. I know there are people on here that know more than I do about this, maybe these pictures will help. One picture I just took and was from a 90% charge. The other one was from a while ago when they were "working" on it once and was from a 100% charge. Thoughts? I understand this is a big difference in miles. its been like this for a while and the service center has been "looking into it" but maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me. I normally dont drain the battery out like this. Is it normal? Another weird battery related item, I drive the same way to work every day. Most of the time its about a 10% drain on my battery. but every once in a while it get here with a 6 or 7% drain. I cant figure that one out either. Drive the same speed usually, same acceleration style. Just out of the blue i get less of a drain. Temperature seems to have no effect on these times.
Screenshot_20180405-150551_Photos.jpg

20180411_160734.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
I have only used superchargers a hand full of times. always plugged in to 90% unless going on a trip, a few times a year. So Im not sure. I ant remember them taking long though.

If you have a Supercharger near you, it would be worth charging up from a low SOC to see what they are. If it’s slow, this could bolster your case for a failing battery.

Agree - escalate it now. They should give you a loaner right now. You should be in a loaner until they replace your pack. This is just wrong. Tesla brags that it is a different kind of car company, but this is how Chevy treats people. Shameful. Your pack has issues, is my strong suspicion, although its such a complex car it could be something else. Doesn't matter though - you shouldn't be driving it with a major malfunction like this.

Reactions: Electricious
hey guys based in hong kong with a model s 90D manufactured in june 2016 and have the same exact issue RYCO when charged to 90 percent earlier it use to show around 405 kms and now its only 377 kms and the sad part is that even it doesn't do 300 kms and would show as if no battery at all. specially when the battery is at 40 kms and parked for maybe few hours it drops down to 2 kms that is really shocking. tesla has no answer here in hong kong, will escalate the matter in coming few days

How does one escalate this? I called the service center and again, they said they saw nothing wrong in the logs and to charge to 100% and monitor it again. Yesterday when I got home from work and my battery was so low couldn't drive people to a youth activity, cause I was supposed to monitor the battery and get it low. This sucks. I told the service center that I was frustrated and that I wanted this to be escalated to someone else because I keep hearing the same thing, for almost 18 months. She said ok and would call me back. My issue is if I had a dollar for everytime they say they will call me back and don't, I'd have enough that I would just walk away from this car and get a different one.

How does one escalate this? I called the service center and again, they said they saw nothing wrong in the logs and to charge to 100% and monitor it again. Yesterday when I got home from work and my battery was so low couldn't drive people to a youth activity, cause I was supposed to monitor the battery and get it low. This sucks. I told the service center that I was frustrated and that I wanted this to be escalated to someone else because I keep hearing the same thing, for almost 18 months. She said ok and would call me back. My issue is if I had a dollar for everytime they say they will call me back and don't, I'd have enough that I would just walk away from this car and get a different one.

login to tesla.com. MyTesla Executive escalation.

So, in Quartzsite AZ supercharging. I plugged into one and got a really low rate so I switched to another, got this. Good or no? Obviously the second picture is better, but is it good enough to say the battery isnt bad? Probably 75 degrees outside.
20180414_074333.jpg
20180414_074656.jpg

The worst problem I had with Tesla got resolved when I found my area's regional service manager. Here is his email, but this was 3 years ago so he may have moved on. But if he is there he's a nice guy and will help you. [email protected] (Richard) Highly recommend emailing him. Or ask your local service center the name of your regional service manager. They may not want to give it to you but they will.