Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helvetia (& Tesla?) no longer offering extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect, I would not trust the word of any random service centre employee. I'm sure they mean well, but I can easily imagine they will be happy to say what they think will happen, or what they think you want to hear to be reassured, etc.

As @Burley said the Helvetia extended warranty definitely had to be purchased before the expiry of the manufacturer one. As things stand now we're about a month in of there being no extended coverage available. The website talks about emailing them and them honouring the request at the point of that email, but I hadn't had any personalised acknowledgement of my email, or reassurance that I'll be taken care of.

It was a Tesla dealership aka showroom, the service center is at a different location in my city.

I specifically mentioned the UK extended warranties being unavailable anymore and that was the response I got.

Hard to know what to believe or expect price wise. I'm not really interested in buying a Tesla unless an extension is possible, sounds far too risky.

Reactions: Durzel
It was a Tesla dealership aka showroom, the service center is at a different location in my city.

I specifically mentioned the UK extended warranties being unavailable anymore and that was the response I got.

Hard to know what to believe or expect price wise. I'm not really interested in buying a Tesla unless an extension is possible, sounds far too risky.
Why do you think its risky? and what do you think would be covered by an extended warranty anyway?

The battery and drive train is covered for 8 years anyway, so you are talking about non wear and tear damage to a pretty narrow range of components.

Reactions: Js1977
Why do you think its risky? and what do you think would be covered by an extended warranty anyway?

The battery and drive train is covered for 8 years anyway, so you are talking about non wear and tear damage to a pretty narrow range of components.
A failed AP or MCU computer from overheating, PTC heater, etc would add up fast. Have seen a reasonable number of those complaints to think it’s something that should be anticipated in the car’s life.

You’re right that the big ticket item is covered though.

For me it’s about my own peace of mind but also reassuring a prospective purchaser of my car, to whom the official extended warranty would transfer. I’ve also seen a number of people say they wouldn’t run an EV out of warranty, and there’s enough FUD around about reliability, fires, etc that I just know I’d be fighting a losing battle trying to explain to someone why they don’t need to worry about not having a warranty, if they hadn’t already discounted my car as a potential purchase already.

Reactions: Scog
The website talks about emailing them and them honouring the request at the point of that email, but I hadn't had any personalised acknowledgement of my email, or reassurance that I'll be taken care of.
I've recently had a reply from Tesla after sending them an email at the end of January about the extended warranty. Their email says:
The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. The date of request will be honoured to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program, and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage.

A failed AP or MCU computer from overheating, PTC heater, etc would add up fast. Have seen a reasonable number of those complaints to think it’s something that should be anticipated in the car’s life.

For me it’s about my own peace of mind but also reassuring a prospective purchaser of my car, to whom the official extended warranty would transfer. I’ve also seen a number of people say they wouldn’t run an EV out of warranty, and there’s enough FUD around about reliability, fires, etc that I just know I’d be fighting a losing battle trying to explain to someone why they don’t need to worry about not having a warranty, if they hadn’t already discounted my car as a potential purchase already.
Which would apply to your car, but not to the majority and I suspect not the OP as since late 2020 the heat pump replaced PTC and cooling for the computer.

Even in your situation I would feel that paying some large chunk and hoping a covered component needs replacing while still having lots of things like batteries, upper control arms, break callipers at my risk would be very little comfort. Also it's not going to make the slightest difference to the selling car I'm afraid.

Reactions: yessuz
Which would apply to your car, but not to the majority and I suspect not the OP as since late 2020 the heat pump replaced PTC and cooling for the computer.

Even in your situation I would feel that paying some large chunk and hoping a covered component needs replacing while still having lots of things like batteries, upper control arms, break callipers at my risk would be very little comfort. Also it's not going to make the slightest difference to the selling car I'm afraid.
Don’t know how you can say that with any kind of authority really. It’s not something you (or I) can make a definitively objective assessment of, as you have here.

If there’s two identical cars for sale one with a warranty and one without, it stands to reason that the one with the warranty is more attractive.

Does it add the price of the warranty to the selling price? Probably not. But it seems logical to me that it will attract a certain subset of interested parties who would otherwise not consider the car.

Reactions: dombera and Scog
I think it's a bit naive to assume the Tesla's or any EV will be a safe bet from the 5th year onwards. High EV repair costs are a hot topic right now. Hertz have been selling off their Tesla fleet for similar reasons.

Reactions: Durzel
Don’t know how you can say that with any kind of authority really. It’s not something you (or I) can make a definitively objective assessment of, as you have here.

If there’s two identical cars for sale one with a warranty and one without, it stands to reason that the one with the warranty is more attractive.

Does it add the price of the warranty to the selling price? Probably not. But it seems logical to me that it will attract a certain subset of interested parties who would otherwise not consider the car.
Both cars will advertise to say there is warranty remaining, in one case that would just be the battery but that's really not going to determinable in any adverts for a personal sale.

And that assumes you are selling privately, no PX or trade sale is going to consider it.

Both cars will advertise to say there is warranty remaining, in one case that would just be the battery but that's really not going to determinable in any adverts for a personal sale.

And that assumes you are selling privately, no PX or trade sale is going to consider it.
Are you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing?

Hi Durzel (and @Dilly ) - my warranty also expires end of March. I emailed Tesla ([email protected]) on Saturday and received an email back from them this morning (Monday) stating:

"The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. The date of request will be honored to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program, and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage."

Reactions: Dilly and Durzel
Hi Durzel (and @Dilly ) - my warranty also expires end of March. I emailed Tesla ([email protected]) on Saturday and received an email back from them this morning (Monday) stating:

"The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. The date of request will be honored to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program, and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage."
Yup, that’s basically what it says on the website. I received the same a couple of weeks ago. I replied to that message asking them to explicitly confirm that I had “locked in” the extended warranty, based on my original email & details provided, but as you can probably guess I have had no reply to that at all.

Par for the course really. I was told by Marsh (Helvetia’s parent company) when I reached out to them that, and I quote, “We apologize for the inconvenience. You will receive a response from Tesla next week which should cover the information requested.”. That was on 25/01/2024. I have had no such contact.

Thanks for the reminder @AnthonyLR . I’ve penned off an email to Tesla.
Mine was in Norwich SC this morning having the LH pillar glass swapped to cure condensation. Evidently there was a lot of water ingress.
They also looked at the wiper issue. Software problem 😂
Ranger coming in a fortnight to swap out the RH one.

I sat in a Highland while I was there. Could have had a test drive while I waited but they fixed mine too quickly 😁

MOT on Wednesday. Fingers crossed

Reactions: Burley and Durzel
Thanks for the reminder @AnthonyLR . I’ve penned off an email to Tesla.
Mine was in Norwich SC this morning having the LH pillar glass swapped to cure condensation. Evidently there was a lot of water ingress.
They also looked at the wiper issue. Software problem 😂
Ranger coming in a fortnight to swap out the RH one.

I sat in a Highland while I was there. Could have had a test drive while I waited but they fixed mine too quickly 😁

MOT on Wednesday. Fingers crossed
I had to have my rear brake discs changed because of scoring. Seems a bit weird as I hardly ever brake(!) When I was at the Park Royal service center they had a Highland there but I resisted the temptation to sit in one (definitely won't test drive one!) as I just know I would become dissatisfied with my lovely, perfectly good Model 3. I own my cars for about a decade and Mrs W is the next on the family list for a new car so it's going to be a long time before I change.

Reactions: Dilly and Durzel
I had to have my rear brake discs changed because of scoring. Seems a bit weird as I hardly ever brake(!) When I was at the Park Royal service center they had a Highland there but I resisted the temptation to sit in one (definitely won't test drive one!) as I just know I would become dissatisfied with my lovely, perfectly good Model 3. I own my cars for about a decade and Mrs W is the next on the family list for a new car so it's going to be a long time before I change.
It is my turn, but like you, I usually hang on to cars. If a Highland had all that my car has plus all the new things, I’d only need free FSD transfer to sway me. However, there is the VED increase issue! …and of course there is the ongoing increases in insurance.

had the confirming email from online policies this morning

Reactions: AnthonyLR