Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filter now $6,000 - yikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after reading that studies have shown that many folks get almost 50% of their total daily pollution exposure while driving (apparently concentrations of pollutants are many times higher on the roads - logically) I'm really wanting the HEPA filter on my next Tesla.

I was annoyed at $3,500 - fine. But now I can't buy the premium package without also getting the premium seats. So it's a $6,000 air filter.

Okay, rant off.

upload_2016-12-21_16-5-45.png

You're welcome.

Reminds me of the power trunk being held hostage to the PUP.

I just wish you could cruise with the HEPA on chill mode, like on a lower fan speed. It's either off or blowing you away on 11, which just isn't feasible for any extended period of time outside of an actual bio hazard attack.

That would require a hermetically sealed Model S. You'll still get biohazards entering the car through the various air gaps throughout the car. It would just try to suck them out really quick.

From what I have read of Bioweapon mode it is an attempt to create the equivalent of a sealed Model S by generating a pressure differential between the inside and outside of the cabin. The cabin is not sealed but gas moves out the various air gaps you mention instead of in because of the differential that exists while Bioweapon is turned on. At least that's the claim.

From what I have read of Bioweapon mode it is an attempt to create the equivalent of a sealed Model S by generating a pressure differential between the inside and outside of the cabin. The cabin is not sealed but gas moves out the various air gaps you mention instead of in because of the differential that exists while Bioweapon is turned on. At least that's the claim.
Ah, my bad.

I'd really think that standard, nonbiohazard mode would still circulate air through a filter, and probably a HEPA one. Hell, one of my first cars as a teen, a 98' Grand Prix GTP had a cabin filter, just not a HEPA one. Surely we've made progress from there.

I believe that's true. Positive pressure relative to the environment is the only way to guarantee that level of purity. The PUP cars aren't any better sealed than non-PUP cars. And cars in general are pretty leaky.