Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filter retrofit to Model S

Do you believe TESLA Dublin California Service center?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone installed HEPA filter after the purchase of the car?

I have bought the HEPA filter online and went to Dublin, CA Tesla servicing center. they have kept unopened HEPA filter in my trunk and gave my car back by enabling the Bio Defence icon enabling in my dashboard.

Looks like they are cheating me with the installation. May be someone forgot to remove the HEPA from my trunk.

How to proceed with this situation. I don't want to leave this here.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

I have bought the HEPA filter online and went to Dublin, CA Tesla servicing center. they have kept unopened HEPA filter in my trunk and gave my car back by enabling the Bio Defence icon enabling in my dashboard.

Looks like they are cheating me with the installation. May be someone forgot to remove the HEPA from my trunk.

Can you post a picture of what they left in your trunk? Did they leave the black plastic box that they replaced with the one with the HEPA filter, or did they actually leave the HEPA filter with the black plastic box in the trunk? It's actually pretty easy to install the filter (there are YouTube videos of it) if you want to DIY.

What did you pay the service center to do? Did you pay them $500 for bio defense mode? If so, that includes a filter and you shouldn't have had to purchase one online elsewhere? In my experience, Tesla has never been willing to activate the bio button if you purchased only the filter from them or another source. Where did the filter in your trunk come from?

What did you pay the service center to do? Did you pay them $500 for bio defense mode? If so, that includes a filter and you shouldn't have had to purchase one online elsewhere? In my experience, Tesla has never been willing to activate the bio button if you purchased only the filter from them or another source. Where did the filter in your trunk come from?

Yes I have paid $500 for bio defense. They said that includes installation. They have kept in the trunk when I gave the car for installation of the HEPA.

• Funny
8AC6F21A-D4E8-4D62-964A-2C1FE5CDCB70.jpeg
1DAA8F80-1352-4E7A-B028-72EDFC597F56.jpeg
E1867ED6-3CA1-44E0-99A3-4CAD7947894B.jpeg
Can you post a picture of what they left in your trunk? Did they leave the black plastic box that they replaced with the one with the HEPA filter, or did they actually leave the HEPA filter with the black plastic box in the trunk? It's actually pretty easy to install the filter (there are YouTube videos of it) if you want to DIY.

Perhaps Tesla performed the installation with a new filter and left yours in the frunk for future maintenance... :cool:

Reactions: PrGrPa and Evoforce
...They said they will investigate and return back to me

While waiting for their investigation, you can do your own:

Stay inside your car with Biodefense mode turned on and:

1) Recruit someone who can do a pepper spray, skunk smell spray, or any strong odor toward your front car while you are inside with Biodefense mode turned on.

2) Ask a favor from some Coal Rollers to do that while your car is getting all those smoke:

Screen-Shot-2017-05-04-at-11.18.51-AM-610x346.png

3) Create your own smoke like burning wood and fan it toward your front car

4) Spill your perfume and fan it toward the front of your car.

My dogs could smell the skunk and went crazy and barked with Biodefense mode off. I turned on the Biodefense mode and the smell went away and the dogs stopped barking.

If you can smell it in your investigation, then most likely, they forgot to install the HEPA filter.

If you know how to disassemble the frunk tub, you could check whether the HEPA filter is there or not.

Reactions: vlakinana
I think that they installed their own filter and left yours in the trunk. You can use it when the installed filter gets dirty.

I have bought it from Tesla online store and get it directly shipped to the service center. I don't have an extra one.
When you buy these from online, those items comes with labor for installation.

Do you know how long these filters lasts?

• Funny
Can't you just open the filter compartment and see what is in there?

It can be done if you are Do-It-Yourself type.

After I watched the video, I don't have the courage to pry off my car.

Make sure you look at both sides of the filter!

This picture below is the one without HEPA filter. From this angle of the frunk tub, this side looks black which is pretty much the same as when you have a real HEPA filter.

cwrThkd.png

But from this angle of the frunk tub, a real HEPA filter would look white and this one is missing the white part of a HEPA filter:
6nKkjQV.png

Good luck on disassembling your frunk tub!