Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Only replaces the main filter under the Frunk with a large HEPA.
After the upgrade the Model Y will have four filters to change regularly. The HEPA & carbon filter plus the two original interior cabin filters. The HEPA and carbon filter, under the maintenance panel (Frunk) has a longer life (2 years?) than the interior cabin filters (1-2 years).

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
Does it make sense to do DIY this now by ordering parts ourselves? I have a 2020 MY and wondering whether that $125 of labor is worth saving. Also, I read somewhere that the older MY does not have the mounting points which could steps to the DIY route. Does the HEPA filter work efficiently without the software update?

Does it make sense to do DIY this now by ordering parts ourselves? I have a 2020 MY and wondering whether that $125 of labor is worth saving. Also, I read somewhere that the older MY does not have the mounting points which could steps to the DIY route. Does the HEPA filter work efficiently without the software update?

$120 of labor is not a lot of money, considering you will end up with a Tesla certified retrofit, that works without begging them to activate the software after a DIY...

how will the firmware detect that you have the HEPA filter after DIYing?
Just had mobile service retrofit my 2020 Y. No issues with install and the last thing he did was update the car's software. If you read the last couple pages, it seems getting them to update the software for diy installs are ymmv from free, to nominal cost, to full cost to refusal to do. Hopefully now that the retrofit is officially available you will find mobile service willing to do it - either for free as part of some other service call or for a nominal cost.

HEPA DIY is useless without the software update as the fan speed is not correct and the go button is missing. For the small amount of labor including coming to your house it would be foolish to DIY at this point.

$125 for some one to come to my house/work to install the upgrade is a BARGAIN to me.

As for your answer about software update, HEPA filter can still work without software update, but not as well. If you look at what's added, you'd see they replaced the original air intake with new one with HEPA filter. Air now has to go through the HEPA filter first, then the original cabin filters (no change here) to get in the cabin. That's why you still have to replace cabin filters in MY with HEPA filter. Basically, they need to re-program the fan motor to work harder to let air pass the extra filter (more filters = more resistant).

too much work to DIY. Just pay and have them do it all

IMHO, $125 is a deal for the installation and for, most importantly, the software update to enable the remapped fan speeds and the Bio button.

I have two 2020's from July and August, 20202 and neither have the threaded nuts for the HEPA mounting bolts. Sure, installing a rivet nut isn't the hardest thing in the world, but it's one more potential thing I could screw up during the DIY install.

This way, it's all on Tesla if something goes sideways.

Mobile Service will be here today between 12-4 for both MYs. Looking forward to it!!

Reactions: Yelobird
I have HEPA filter installed since 2022 and I love it (HEPA filter assembly, new duct and new style apron). I have no issues with air flow in auto mode, but I was missing a bio-defense button. I've scheduled the retrofit service for next Tuesday and approved $330 estimate. I hope I won't be charged for parts again. We'll see.

Mobile service just cleared after retrofitting both of our MYs.

The tech had to run back to the shop to grab the rivet nuts (they weren’t in the bag of fasteners he was given). But the shop is close by, so he was back within 20 minutes.

After that it was super quick. Enlarged two holes for the rivet nuts, pop them in place, bolt everything down. Laptop hooked to car and a few minutes and a reboot later, the magical bio button is available, haha!!

All in all, I’m glad I waited for the official retrofit.

Oh..for those with an auto-frunk (like us!!). I had to relocate the control boxes so the HEPA filter frame could fit. The tech told me he had to skip an install yesterday because the the owner didn’t know how to relocate it themselves. I installed my auto-frunk, so it was very easy for me to move them. I did it while the tech went back for the rivet nuts :)

Last edited:
Mobile service just cleared after retrofitting both of our MYs.

The tech had to run back to the shop to grab the rivet nuts (they weren’t in the bag of fasteners he was given). But the shop is close by, so he was back within 20 minutes.

After that it was super quick. Enlarged two holes for the rivet nuts, pop them in place, bolt everything down. Laptop hooked to car and a few minutes and a reboot later, the magical bio button is available, haha!!

All in all, I’m glad I waited for the official retrofit.

Oh..for those with an auto-frunk (like us!!). I had to relocate the control boxes so the HEPA filter frame could fit. The tech told me he had to skip an install yesterday because the the owner didn’t know how to relocate it themselves. I installed my auto-frunk, so it was very easy for me to move them. I did it while the tech went back for the rivet nuts :)
Same for me. He was great though, asked if I had a longer zip tie and moved it with no question. Say what you will but having home service is great and they have Always been prompt and professional for me.

Is it worth the $300+ charge? Still on the fence. Noticeable difference between HEPA and Non-HEPA? What does Bio button do? Does it do more filtering? I hear people say just do it....but difference day to day?
My understanding is that pressing the Bio button causes the car to use positive cabin pressure. That is, it will pull enough air through the HEPA filter that there will be no "leaking" of outside air into the cabin through door and window seals. This should keep out things like smoke, diesel fumes, etc.

I'm getting my retrofit installed tomorrow, so we'll see.

Same for me. He was great though, asked if I had a longer zip tie and moved it with no question. Say what you will but having home service is great and they have Always been prompt and professional for me.
Yes!! Mobile Service FTW every time.

We had a tire changed by mobile service the other day. All the mounting/balancing equipment was in the van. Took all of 20 minutes. I'll take that over schlepping to the tire shop any day, haha!!

Reactions: Yelobird
My understanding is that pressing the Bio button causes the car to use positive cabin pressure. That is, it will pull enough air through the HEPA filter that there will be no "leaking" of outside air into the cabin through door and window seals. This should keep out things like smoke, diesel fumes, etc.

I'm getting my retrofit installed tomorrow, so we'll see.
That translates to putting the fan on the highest setting which is rather annoying due to the noise by the way. The benefits of the filter without pressing the bio button are still there since all outside air must now come through the hepa filter even with the fan on low. Only difference is it will not create positive cabin pressure.